Water Or Premuim Air

Total: 29 votes (1 blank vote)

• Water
  • 50 %
  • Premuim Air
  • 50 %
June 20, 2007 7:38:03 AM

Hi
im am about to build a system and was just pondering on water cooling i know there is increased cooling capacity over air. but am still wondering is it worth it
i will be running a Q6600 OC'd not sure to what speed hopefully with water 3.4+ on a DFI 680i mobo. If i do choose to go water i will go with CPU/GPU/NB waterblocks.

If i dont get water i will have to HR-03 Plus and Ultra 120 Extreme heatsinks for V/C and CPU plus 5 fans in CM Stacker 832.

So which one price isn't really an obstacle i will be spending about 500AU if i choose water
June 20, 2007 9:02:35 AM

Why dont u just buy an E6600 and overclock to 3.8Ghz on air?
Almost nothing supports Quad-Cores now.
June 20, 2007 9:06:12 AM

Quote:
Why dont u just buy an E6600 and overclock to 3.8Ghz on air

because when the prices come done 22nd july or round there its believed that they will be the same price so why not get one that will be better in the future. is that fair[/quote]
Related resources
June 20, 2007 9:41:49 AM

Quote:
Why dont u just buy an E6600 and overclock to 3.8Ghz on air

because when the prices come done 22nd july or round there its believed that they will be the same price so why not get one that will be better in the future. is that fair

If its better in the future, then buy it in the future.
When Quad-Cores are actually useful, there will be 45nm ones to choose from and those will be able to overclock to above 4.0Ghz.
Almost all programs only use a single core, so that means that a Dual-Core @ 3.8Ghz will be much more powerful than a Quad-Core @ 3.2Ghz.
June 20, 2007 9:48:54 AM

Quote:
When Quad-Cores are actually useful, there will be 45nm ones to choose from and those will be able to overclock to above 4.0Ghz.

but will these be compatable with a DFI 680i motherboard and how long in the future are they away
June 20, 2007 12:21:42 PM

They, they will.
Around Q1 2008.
June 20, 2007 1:40:14 PM

I made a thread about this earlier as I also considering to buy a Ultra 120 Extreme or Water Colling but I was only prepare to spend AU$100 to AU$150 on CPU cooler...

I guess for the same price, premium air cooling will be the answer... if you want to compare a Ultra 120 X at A$108 (including Scythe fan) to a A$500 water cooling solution, it's not really fair. I haven't seen a review that makes me jump up and down with water cooling anyway.... and you'll have to prepare decent maintenance every now and then mates....

HR-03 also rocks.. but I don't it fit into many new VGA Card....?
June 20, 2007 2:02:11 PM

go for water
when the e4600 is released, i plan to watercool it so i can get it to 4 ghz or more.
June 20, 2007 2:51:14 PM

Unless you are desiring the least noise possible, I would go with premium air cooling. Its cheaper, less complicated, and doesn't need the constant maintainence.

I agree with Track as far as getting a fast dual core over a quad core cpu. It will overclock higher at the moment and will do everything desired. By the time programing/games need a quad core, the present quad core cpus will be out of date and need to be replaced if you want a top machine, same as a dual core would need to be replaced.
June 20, 2007 3:22:25 PM

Go with premium air cooling. The ultra 120 extreme gets you 95% of what a high end water cooling system can without the complexity. It is also a lot cheaper. Water was the way to go before the really good heatpipe coolers showed up.
June 20, 2007 3:50:50 PM

LMAO. track hijacks another thread with his bs about that cpu.

i say go with Air. mainly because water-cooling scares me after my brothers pc was fried due to a leak.
June 20, 2007 3:54:10 PM

Quote:

I agree but seem to be in the minority. A fast dual core would be all most would need at this point then in a year or so get a 45nm quad which will be a much better CPU than the E6600.

As for the OP's question I have always used air and in order to beat the cooling performance of high-end air you have to spend a lot of money. A mid level water cooling setup will cost around $300, anything less than that and your not going to see a performance increase over air. It just depends if it's worth it to you to spend the money.
June 21, 2007 6:30:29 AM

if i was to go water cooling i was thinking about the Apogee H20 Ultra kit and a Thermaltake w/b for 8800GTX. But i am still unsure what sort of performance would this kit have and what sort of temps would i be looking at with an E6700 at say 3.8Ghz (if thats possible)
June 21, 2007 9:01:32 AM

won't differ so much to HR-03 and U120X (both air cooler) sometimes the review shown better cooling with high end air cooler.....

You won't use water at very low degree...
June 21, 2007 11:15:24 AM

Quote:
You won't use water at very low degree

huh explain again please
June 21, 2007 12:50:33 PM

Quote:
You won't use water at very low degree

huh explain again please

i'm wondering myself now why i said so :roll:

don't drink while you post in this forum i guess? sorry mate...
June 22, 2007 7:57:57 AM

lol okk fair enough ill take that advice into condsideration

thanx for you help guys i think i will go with water thanx for your views and opinons helped alot i have decided to ditch the kit and go with
Apogee GTX
Thermaltake TMG ND4 CL-W0153
Hose Clamps
Swiftech MCP655-B
Black Ice GT Stealth 360 XFlow
Thermaltake Water level indicator/reservoir
5m's Swiftech Tubing 3/8"
Aus is limited to good wc equipment
!