2900XT Game Benchies (not a sad joke)

hannibal

Distinguished
The new drivers have helped the card a lot - it really does go from a joke of a product to something that you could recommend. The biggest problem we see is that AMD may have already done the damage by not waiting another week or two for the new drivers to come out.

Well this is something that has been expected because of the architecture of r600, that need really good driver optimization to fly...
So there is a lot of potential in this card, how much we will see of it in real life. Only ATI driver department can tell... But this article says it clearly... we are moving in to the right direction!

cynewulf

Distinguished
Mar 12, 2007
Amazing what a difference a decent set of drivers can make.

It'll be interesting to see what the 1GB version will do with these drivers as the current card seems to be limited by memory at higher resolutions.

ethel

Distinguished
May 20, 2006
Well at least it is on a part with the 8800GTS now performance wise, but the power draw is just way too much in my opinion.

jamesgoddard

Distinguished
Nov 12, 2005
The 2900XT is catching the 8800GTX, the only problems the 2900XT shows atm are the Open GL titles and games at very high res... OK, Nvidia will always have the better Open GL product, but the issues with high res will be fixed when we get 1GB DDR4 cards.

With the additional features the 2900XT has (directx 10.1 tessellation and HDMI etc) – you would be a fool to get the Nvidia 8800 cards now, my opinion…

(edit - just a shame ATI was not able to release this 6 months ago)

bfellow

Distinguished
Dec 22, 2006
Why would you be a fool for getting the 8800s now? It's not like I need HDMI for my PC or DX10.1 right now.

The AA/AF still is a weakness of the 2900XT which is unforgivable for a high-end card.

IcY18

Distinguished
May 1, 2006
The amount of power and heat alone justify why not to get the HD 2900XT over a similiarly performing card for about the same price. That heat and power translates into noise.

The HD 2900XT is priced competitively for its performance but some people look to the nvidia counterpart to have cooler running graphics card.

With regard to dx10 gaming its in its infancy,and while the 2900 is slightly more advanced in its architecture and suport for 10.1 tessilation. My opinion is that when we finally get dx10 games as the norm over dx9 either card wont cut the mustard any way.

rammedstein

Distinguished
Jun 5, 2006
ain't i just lapping it up... very nice cards, sure, run a bit warm, draw a bit more power, but nothing too much higher than an 8800gtx... top card load temp is 92oC, bottom card is 88oC, and if you look at the recorded power usage from the reviews, you'll see they don't take much more than the gtx.. how can you say they are hot, draw too much power and make too much noise, that is just hypocritical.

shellofinsanity

Distinguished
Aug 15, 2006
no the 2900XT would be hard pressed to touch the 8800GTX, it kicks its ass in shader power. The 8800GTS and HD2900XT have the same shader power as each other,with the 8800GTS having 288 but running the shaders 150% faster than ATI, and the 2900XT doing 320 but running at core clock. nvidia counts there actual units though while ATI counts there operations instead of units. The HD2900XT has a 512bit bus is why i can marginally pull ahead of the 8800GTS in some tests, but it wont ever overtake the 8800GTX, it doesnt have the brute force.

wingless

Distinguished
Oct 23, 2006
AMD has proven something to themselves and to the rest of the industry. It is much better to DELAY a product and release it with finished drivers that have good performance and enable ALL the features, than release it late with beta drivers that screw the performance up.

Their launch was a disaster but the card has proven itself with a new set of drivers to be a true 8800GTS competitor. Unfortunately there are still problems with the AVIVO and H.264 1080p decoding and a few other 3D game probs in some games. It would have been a lot more beneficial to release it a little later with the 7.5's IMO.

All we can do is hope that when Barcelona comes out in the Server and Desktop processors they dont do the same. I hope the silicon is 100% finished upon release as not to further degrade the image of the company. AMD has to be careful nowadays and I hope they learned their lesson with this R600 launch.

Phrozt

Distinguished
Jun 19, 2002
I find it hilarious that all of the people who were saying that they were sick and tired of waiting for the 2900xt to release are now saying that they shouldn't have released it so soon....

EDIT: Wow.. performance w/eyecandy is a joke. New drivers, and it's still a flop when it comes to trying to do what a high end video card is meant to do - perform well with high settings. In all honesty, for the performance that this card "delivers," it should NOT be priced over $250.

TonyStark

Distinguished
Feb 3, 2007
Well at least it is on a part with the 8800GTS now performance wise, but the power draw is just way too much in my opinion.

Yes, the power use is high but it is over exaggerated by most people.

It uses more power than the GTX, however it is still only 378 Watts under load by the entire system. Thats 378 from the wall. No PSU is 100% efficient, so the power draw of the system is actually under 378W.

Most high end users have at least a 500W PSU, so I don't see what all the fuss is about.

IcY18

Distinguished
May 1, 2006
I'm saying watt/performance is unacceptable, especially with the time ATi had it should have been better. I can accept a higher watt card with higher performance, which is what the case was with the last generation with the X19x00XT/X. But when you start upping wattage at a lower performance then something should be said.

IcY18

Distinguished
May 1, 2006
I never said in my post that the HD 2900XT will touch a 8800GTX. I said for its price it provides good performance, and there is no 8800GTX in the $400 price range.

@Phrozt

Not sure why you replied to me because what you replied didn't really respond to anything i said? Maybe you just clicked the closest reply button :wink:

Rabidpeanut

Distinguished
Dec 14, 2005
Somehow i think you all deserve to be told i fucking told you so.

Any idea when the diamond 1024mb 2900 hits newegg? i cant get into the card section for some reason, it has to be pretty soon cause i have to get it in around 5 days or so. :(

levicki

Distinguished
Feb 5, 2006
Sorry for hitting nearest reply button. :D

Anyway, whoever said one should not get 8800 now, I say this -- do not get 2900XT now because in Q4 you will have next-gen NVIDIA cards probably using PCI-E 2.0.

Phrozt

Distinguished
Jun 19, 2002
Somehow i think you all deserve to be told i ****** told you so.

Any idea when the diamond 1024mb 2900 hits newegg? i cant get into the card section for some reason, it has to be pretty soon cause i have to get it in around 5 days or so. :(

Icy... was the nearest reply... sorry.

Rabid.. you've got to be an idiot if you think these benchies make the 2900xt look good at all... If you use eyecandy, which is exactly what a high end vid card is for, the card blows comparatively.

Like I said, for the performance, this card should not be priced over $250... and that's just because it just came on the market

jt001

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2006
Somehow i think you all deserve to be told i ****** told you so.

I'm not sure how the term "I told you so" fits in here, unless you have been telling us how much it sucked.

Performance sucks, insane power consumption and heat output, far overpriced for what it does, and far outperformed by a card that came out what 6months before? why would anyone recommend this again?

I'm not sure how the term "I told you so" fits in here, unless you have been telling us how much it sucked.

IF he said things would improve with driver, he doesn't have to start with the ignorant childish 'it sucks' first?

Performance sucks,

Compared to what? Compared to it's price, especially outside the US it's pretty competative. Saying the performance was a dissapointment compared to expected would be understandable, saying it sucks is Fanboi prattle.

insane power consumption

Comapred to what? The Ultra has similarly 'insane' power consumption;
http://www.techreport.com/reviews/2007q2/radeon-hd-2900xt/index.x?pg=15
http://www.firingsquad.com/hardware/amd_ati_radeon_hd_2900_xt_performance_preview/page24.asp

and heat output,

And the heat of the GTS and GTX, and Ultra can all be hotter;
http://www.firingsquad.com/hardware/amd_ati_radeon_hd_2900_xt_performance_preview/page24.asp

Plus all of the XT's heat goes out of the case, so as long as it's stable, why does it matter, unless you have issues with keeping your room cool, in which case none of the above will help that.

far overpriced for what it does,

Actually seems priced near what it does, especially when priced outside of the US.

and far outperformed by a card that came out what 6months before?

Which is the card that also costs significantly more.

why would anyone recommend this again?

Because it's not as bad as you and others make it out to be.
It's not a shinning star at the top of the list, but it's competant and it does shine in some games, just like the Gf7900 vs X1900.

the thing is while it may never outshine the GTX or Ultra overall, it may still be a diamond in the rough instead of the lump of coal you and so many others seem intent on making it out to be, which I think was the point of this review/thread in the first place.