Motorola 6412 DVR

Last response: in Home Theatre
Share
February 11, 2005 4:42:35 PM

I am presently receiving my cable HD signal via a Motorola 6208 DVR. I
have been waiting for the cable company to get the 6412s in specifically
for the dual tuner. They finally got them in but aren't releasing them
to the public yet because of poor reception on the analog channels. Has
anybody experienced this problem with the 6412s? The reception on the
analog channels wasn't very clear on the 6208 either so I installed a
splitter and split the cable signal between the cable box and the TV.
The cable from the wall goes into the cable in connection on the
splitter and one cable out goes to the cable box and the other cable out
goes directly to TV. With this set up my analog channels are coming in
very clear on the hook up connected directly to the TV. When I want to
watch the non digital network channels I just change the input on my TV
to that connection. It would be nice not to have to do that but I do get
a clearer picture. Shouldn't this same solution work with the 6412 also
or is the reception on analog channels really that bad?

Sharon

More about : motorola 6412 dvr

February 12, 2005 1:01:16 PM

I have had the 6412 for a month now.
It has worked well.
I can say that my JVC diala gets a better picture on the analog channels
than the Comcast 6412.
The rest of the 6412 channels are great.Especially HDTV!
I really like the DVR
Rich

"Sharon" <me7@privacy.net> wrote in message
>I am presently receiving my cable HD signal via a Motorola 6208 DVR. I have
>been waiting for the cable company to get the 6412s in specifically for the
>dual tuner. They finally got them in but aren't releasing them to the
>public yet because of poor reception on the analog channels. Has anybody
>experienced this problem with the 6412s? The reception on the analog
>channels wasn't very clear on the 6208 either so I installed a splitter and
>split the cable signal between the cable box and the TV. The cable from the
>wall goes into the cable in connection on the splitter and one cable out
>goes to the cable box and the other cable out goes directly to TV. With
>this set up my analog channels are coming in very clear on the hook up
>connected directly to the TV. When I want to watch the non digital network
>channels I just change the input on my TV to that connection. It would be
>nice not to have to do that but I do get a clearer picture. Shouldn't this
>same solution work with the 6412 also or is the reception on analog
>channels really that bad?
>
> Sharon
Anonymous
February 12, 2005 2:00:31 PM

I've had the 6412 here in Mass.for a couple of weeks now and I like it a
lot. It's a little "squirrely" at times but, once I figured out the
symbology it uses for series recording, it works well. I haven't noticed
much difference from my old STB on analog channels. Sometime the color's a
little "hot" but otherwise, if the analog signal is good, so's the picure.
If not, not. GIGO as they say. Your splitter solution sounds interesting
though, because c. it, I might be able to use the "picture in picture"
feature on my TV (Hitachi CRT RP). BillR.
"Sharon" <me7@privacy.net> wrote in message
> I am presently receiving my cable HD signal via a Motorola 6208 DVR. I
> have been waiting for the cable company to get the 6412s in specifically
> for the dual tuner. They finally got them in but aren't releasing them
> to the public yet because of poor reception on the analog channels. Has
> anybody experienced this problem with the 6412s? The reception on the
> analog channels wasn't very clear on the 6208 either so I installed a
> splitter and split the cable signal between the cable box and the TV.
> The cable from the wall goes into the cable in connection on the
> splitter and one cable out goes to the cable box and the other cable out
> goes directly to TV. With this set up my analog channels are coming in
> very clear on the hook up connected directly to the TV. When I want to
> watch the non digital network channels I just change the input on my TV
> to that connection. It would be nice not to have to do that but I do get
> a clearer picture. Shouldn't this same solution work with the 6412 also
> or is the reception on analog channels really that bad?
>
> Sharon
February 12, 2005 9:06:04 PM

Your splitter solution will work equally well for the 6412. I have a
6208 and am considering getting a 6412.

I haven't heard that the 6412 improves the quality of the analog TV
channels over the 6208 . In any case, analog channels will never look
that good on a large screen TV but the Motorola cable boxes and other
model cable boxes do have more problems with analog signals than the
more expensive large screen TVs with high quality filters to separate
the luminance and chromance signals. Also it is reported that the
6208 and 6412 convert the analog signal to digital all the time, even
when not recording, to support the LIVE TV feature and then convert
back to digital for output to the TV. If this is true, then this
process would add more signal degradation to the analog channels than
a cable box without a recording feature.

I actually split my incoming cable signal three ways: one directly to
the TV, one directly to the 6208 cable box and one directly to a
Panasonic HDD/DVD recorder. I mention the latter because the signal I
get out of the Panasonic recorder, either live or recorded for analog
channels, is close to the quality I get on the direct to TV route. I
had a Motorola DCT2000HT cable box which has a worse problem with the
analog channels and definitely used the direct to TV or through the
2000 and out the composite cable connection. The latter avoids the
filter in the cable box which the S-Video output doesn't. Analog
channels through the 6208's S-Video or component cable connectors also
have the degraded picture quality, although to my eyes and with my TV,
it doesn't seem to degrade as much as the 2000 did. Despite other
reports, I found that the composite output from the 6208 on analog
channels was better than the S-Video or component video outputs but
still not very good.

On Fri, 11 Feb 2005 13:42:35 -0700, Sharon <me7@privacy.net> wrote:

>I am presently receiving my cable HD signal via a Motorola 6208 DVR. I
>have been waiting for the cable company to get the 6412s in specifically
>for the dual tuner. They finally got them in but aren't releasing them
>to the public yet because of poor reception on the analog channels. Has
>anybody experienced this problem with the 6412s? The reception on the
>analog channels wasn't very clear on the 6208 either so I installed a
>splitter and split the cable signal between the cable box and the TV.
>The cable from the wall goes into the cable in connection on the
>splitter and one cable out goes to the cable box and the other cable out
>goes directly to TV. With this set up my analog channels are coming in
>very clear on the hook up connected directly to the TV. When I want to
>watch the non digital network channels I just change the input on my TV
>to that connection. It would be nice not to have to do that but I do get
>a clearer picture. Shouldn't this same solution work with the 6412 also
>or is the reception on analog channels really that bad?
>
>Sharon

Alan Bealby
Remove no_spam from my E-Mail address
Anonymous
February 13, 2005 7:27:03 AM

On Fri, 11 Feb 2005 13:42:35 -0700, Sharon wrote:

> I am presently receiving my cable HD signal via a Motorola 6208 DVR. I
> have been waiting for the cable company to get the 6412s in specifically
> for the dual tuner. They finally got them in but aren't releasing them
> to the public yet because of poor reception on the analog channels. Has
> anybody experienced this problem with the 6412s? The reception on the
> analog channels wasn't very clear on the 6208 either so I installed a
> splitter and split the cable signal between the cable box and the TV.
> The cable from the wall goes into the cable in connection on the
> splitter and one cable out goes to the cable box and the other cable out
> goes directly to TV. With this set up my analog channels are coming in
> very clear on the hook up connected directly to the TV. When I want to
> watch the non digital network channels I just change the input on my TV
> to that connection. It would be nice not to have to do that but I do get
> a clearer picture. Shouldn't this same solution work with the 6412 also
> or is the reception on analog channels really that bad?
>
> Sharon

I've had the dual tuner box for a month or so now. I found that the
picture quality on all of the channels, analog, digital and HD, improved
signifacantly over the previous non-DVD HD box. I got the box the second
that Comcast made them available on my system. There was no DVR service
available in my town before the dual tuner box was offered so it's
possible that the improved picture quality is due to a system wide upgrade
that Comcast introduced in conjuction with the introduction of DVR
service. That's the only explanation for the improvement on the HD
channels. Before I got the DVR box there was a noticable quality
difference between the two Comcast HD channels and all of the other HD
channels. After I got the DVR box the quality of the other HD channels
seemed to rise to the level of the Comcast channels which is why I think
that Comcast upped the bit rate on the other HD channels as well as on the
non-HD digital channels. As for the analog channels, it appears that the
dual channel DVR box has a much better analog converter then the non-DVR
HD STB.

I have a signal splitter on my line so that I can use my Sony's dual
picture mode, there is a connection directly to my TV and one to the
Motorola box. I'm using the HDMI connection from the STB to my TV.
February 13, 2005 2:06:38 PM

William J Rafferty wrote:
> I've had the 6412 here in Mass.for a couple of weeks now and I like it a
> lot. It's a little "squirrely" at times but, once I figured out the
> symbology it uses for series recording, it works well. I haven't noticed
> much difference from my old STB on analog channels. Sometime the color's a
> little "hot" but otherwise, if the analog signal is good, so's the picure.
> If not, not. GIGO as they say. Your splitter solution sounds interesting
> though, because c. it, I might be able to use the "picture in picture"
> feature on my TV (Hitachi CRT RP). BillR.
> "Sharon" <me7@privacy.net> wrote in message

> You probably can. I can use the POP feature on my Toshiba this way.

Sharon
Anonymous
February 13, 2005 3:02:37 PM

I got the 6412 from Comcast (Philly)last month. I noticed the analog
channel's are grainy. I have watching the local channels (cbs,abc,nbc
and fox) on the digital channels (200 range) for a much better
picture. My tv is not hd but the digital is a notable difference.

On Fri, 11 Feb 2005 13:42:35 -0700, Sharon <me7@privacy.net> wrote:

>I am presently receiving my cable HD signal via a Motorola 6208 DVR. I
>have been waiting for the cable company to get the 6412s in specifically
>for the dual tuner. They finally got them in but aren't releasing them
>to the public yet because of poor reception on the analog channels. Has
>anybody experienced this problem with the 6412s? The reception on the
>analog channels wasn't very clear on the 6208 either so I installed a
>splitter and split the cable signal between the cable box and the TV.
>The cable from the wall goes into the cable in connection on the
>splitter and one cable out goes to the cable box and the other cable out
>goes directly to TV. With this set up my analog channels are coming in
>very clear on the hook up connected directly to the TV. When I want to
>watch the non digital network channels I just change the input on my TV
>to that connection. It would be nice not to have to do that but I do get
>a clearer picture. Shouldn't this same solution work with the 6412 also
>or is the reception on analog channels really that bad?
>
>Sharon
February 15, 2005 1:22:11 AM

I just switched to the 6412 from the 6200 yesterday and I think it makes a
definite difference on the SD content. Any SD seems grainy and washed out
with the 6412. I also have a splitter that runs to both the STB and
directly to the TV (Sony KD34xbr960). Used to be that the composite
connection from the 6200 had better reception than the direct connection
especially at the lower channels. Now the direct connection is better and
even the upper digital looks worse with the 6412. HD still looks great
despite the input and I love that I can record HD.

TW

!