Finding router information

wildfire788

Distinguished
Jan 18, 2008
Hey all, I recently moved into a small house on a university campus. They have issued me an old, Corecess 3113 DSL modem/router.

It works alright, but quite frankly I think it's a piece of crap and I'd like to use the Actiontec router that I already have. Problem is I can't use my router without the PPP information, so I'd like to try and get into the Corecess router and see how it's configured.

I've found the manual for the Corecess but it tells me to refer to a seperate "Configuration Guide" which doesn't appear to exist anywhere on the internet. It seems the university changed the default address of the router so that guide probably wouldn't help me anyway.

How can I find the PPP information that my router is configured to use?

Or, if that's not possible, how can I find out what the router's internal IP address is so I can access it through my web browser?

Thanks

rgeist554

Distinguished
Oct 15, 2007
Type "ipconfig /all" in the command prompt... The default gateway address is where you computer goes to access the internet, which is the router's address. This will also reveal the IP addressing scheme (which you need to make sure you match as best as possible) You shouldn't run into any issues unless they are filtering MAC addresses and only allow that specific modem / router to work.

Once you're in the router you should be able to look under status or administration and find what public IP (if it's using one) is.

wildfire788

Distinguished
Jan 18, 2008
The weird thing is I already tried that, and the gateway address that ipconfig gives me doesn't work. When I put it into my browser I just get an unable to connect error like if I was trying to visit a page that doesn't exist.

Is there some kind of software I can use that will be able to find/access the router?

G

You probably have to telnet to the gateway address but if you don't know the password you're SOL.

Grumpy

calyn

Distinguished
Jun 24, 2005
it's not unlikely they won't allow the LAN addresses to connect to the LAN IP address of the modem, but manage it centrally via TFTP config files. Which means that you cannot access it either by HTTP or telnet.

You could try to set up a TFTP connection and download all files from the modem ;-)

wildfire788

Distinguished
Jan 18, 2008
I talked to my local tech support (the guy had no idea what I was talking about and wasn't very interested in helping me) and found out that I have to set my PC's IP address to a certain one before being able to access the router's web console.

Any way I can find out what this IP is?