System File checker on OEM OS's

Im having a problem , and its quite annoying!

Im wanting to complete a system protection scan, but due to me having an OEM
version of Windows XP ...is this possible?.

Once the scan has started it asks for my WinXP CD and because its OEM , I
have no disks and cant get past this point.

Please help!

Cheers

In news:E1B66AE0-E873-4FC1-8DCD-63D368C525B1@microsoft.com,
taci190 <taci190@discussions.microsoft.com> typed:

> Im having a problem , and its quite annoying!
>
> Im wanting to complete a system protection scan, but due to me
> having
> an OEM version of Windows XP ...is this possible?.
>
> Once the scan has started it asks for my WinXP CD and because
> its OEM
> , I have no disks and cant get past this point.

The reason you have disks is because *your* OEM didn't provide
them. It's not true that all OEM versions of WIndows have no CDs.

Please reply to the newsgroup

scannow sfc (sfc.exe)
http://www.updatexp.com/scannow-sfc.html

Scroll down to Step 2

--
Hope this helps. Let us know.

Wes
MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

In news:E1B66AE0-E873-4FC1-8DCD-63D368C525B1@microsoft.com,
taci190 <taci190@discussions.microsoft.com> hunted and pecked:
> Im having a problem , and its quite annoying!
>
> Im wanting to complete a system protection scan, but due to me having an
> OEM version of Windows XP ...is this possible?.
>
> Once the scan has started it asks for my WinXP CD and because its OEM , I
> have no disks and cant get past this point.
>
> Please help!
>
> Cheers

Do a search to see if you have a directory called i386 on your computer. If
so You might be able to direct SFC to use it rather than asking for a CD.
You can do a simple registry hack to point SFC to the location of the i386
directory or you can use the Tweakui Powertoy to do this.

To do the registry hack go to Start->Run and type REGEDIT and click OK. This
brings up the Registry Editor. Be careful to only make the change outlined
below. Making arbitrary changes to the registry can cause serious stability
problems.

Navigate your way to
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Setup

double click on SourcePath then change the location to the location of the
i386 directory. Exit REGEDIT and run SFC /SCANNOW.

--

Harry Ohrn MS-MVP [Shell/User]
www.webtree.ca/windowsxp