Sign in with
Your question

FIRST POWER ON...ram ?FLASHING THE BIOS?

Last response: in Systems
June 20, 2007 12:47:56 PM

I;m about to power on for the 1st time however, my ram is patriot 800mhz 2x1 gig 4-4-4-12 it says 2.2 volts my evga mobo says the slots are 1.8 volts will this auto adjust or do I need to manually.Flashing the bios what is it ?Yes you guessed ,this is my 1st build.TY,E6600,7600GT
June 20, 2007 1:27:18 PM

Hi, start it up, enter bios, and manually change memory settings to 2.2. If it does not boot up, remove one stick of memory (leave one in slot one) and try it that way.
Flashing bios is reprogramming your bios chip. This can be done through a windows utility (not recommended) or via a DOS program for which you will need to create a bootable floppy containing the flash program and the updated bios file. You can download these files from your mobo's manufacturers site along with the flash utility itself. Post your mobo specs for people here to give you more info. Somebody is bound to have some good advice for you.

GL.
June 20, 2007 1:33:31 PM

There it is and TY
Related resources
a b B Homebuilt system
June 20, 2007 1:39:23 PM

Well, just see if it will boot. If it will, go into the bios and check the voltage to your memory. I am going to give you some advice about flashing your BIOS, read through this entire thread before you even think about it! I see these posts all the time.
http://forumz.tomshardware.com/hardware/modules.php?nam...
June 20, 2007 1:49:31 PM

Agreed. See if it will boot, try to find out what version bios you are running and compare it to newest bios on evga's site. If there are specific improvements you can't live without, like increased cpu support (mostly happens right after mobo is released or new cpu's become available), incompatibility issues with specific hardware like soundcards, pci devices, memory sticks or maybe stability issues for the board itself, then it is worth updating the bios. If the system runs fine... why bother :D  . It's an unnecessary risk to take because, as stated and linked to, you can render the board lifeless 8O .

GL.
June 20, 2007 1:55:25 PM

Agreed and i 'll take your advice..i just don't wanna blow the system with a stupid mistake ...i have'nt got my OS yet,prob friday and i'll be in bussiness.
June 20, 2007 2:30:13 PM

The standard voltage for DDR2 SDRAM is 1.8V. There is a note in the JEDEC standard JESD79-2C that says you can still comply with SSTL_1.8 and use a different voltage, as long as the output supply is less than or equal to the supply.

Your memory is DDR2, so I expect it to be required to work at 1.8V, albeit at worse timings. This is because the data pulses become more difficult to detect as timings become too tight. I think the cell capacitance is the limiting factor. If more voltage is applied, the cell charges at the same rate, but has a greater signal strength/amplitude when it reaches its typical charge. If you increase VDD to 2.2V, that product is advertised to work with the tighter timings.
!