Screen Orientation

September 23, 2004 9:08:57 PM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.handhelds (More info?)

As we are all aware most video content is shown either 4:3 or 16:9
landscape, whereas the screens of most PDAs are in portrait orientation.

Is it possible on any of the machines to rotate the display so that a video
can be watched in landscape making maximum possible use of the screen?

Tanel.

More about : screen orientation

Anonymous
September 24, 2004 1:29:53 AM

"Tanel Kagan" <tanelkagan@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> As we are all aware most video content is shown either 4:3 or 16:9
> landscape, whereas the screens of most PDAs are in portrait orientation.
>
> Is it possible on any of the machines to rotate the display so that a
> video
> can be watched in landscape making maximum possible use of the screen?
>
> Tanel.

mmplayer will do it on a Palm Tungsten T3 and I think Kinoma Player does
too.
Anonymous
September 24, 2004 1:18:42 PM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.handhelds (More info?)

Microsoft's new operating system Mobile 2003 "second edition" offers user to
rotate PDA's view 90 degrees.

Unfortunately MickeySoft's way is NOT to offer new OS's to old handhelds,
but you most propably have to buy a new hardware as well.

-pekka [FIN]

"Tanel Kagan" <tanelkagan@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> As we are all aware most video content is shown either 4:3 or 16:9
> landscape, whereas the screens of most PDAs are in portrait orientation.
>
> Is it possible on any of the machines to rotate the display so that a
video
> can be watched in landscape making maximum possible use of the screen?
>
> Tanel.

September 25, 2004 2:51:50 PM

PKi wrote:

> Microsoft's new operating system Mobile 2003 "second edition" offers user
> to rotate PDA's view 90 degrees.
>
> Unfortunately MickeySoft's way is NOT to offer new OS's to old handhelds,
> but you most propably have to buy a new hardware as well.

Which brings me to the point that the Linux based devices running opie have
this capability for long even on older PDAs *and* they do not require to
buy a new device to keep up with current operating system versions.

Oliver
Anonymous
October 6, 2004 3:36:30 PM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.handhelds (More info?)

On Sat, 25 Sep 2004 10:51:50 +0200, Oliver Fels <oliver.fels@gmx.net>
wrote:

>PKi wrote:
>
>> Microsoft's new operating system Mobile 2003 "second edition" offers user
>> to rotate PDA's view 90 degrees.

>> Unfortunately MickeySoft's way is NOT to offer new OS's to old handhelds,
>> but you most propably have to buy a new hardware as well.

>Which brings me to the point that the Linux based devices running opie have
>this capability for long even on older PDAs *and* they do not require to
>buy a new device to keep up with current operating system versions.

Actually, if you *only* need screen rotation for video, then you
could do that with the older Microsoft devices. Some of the video
players had the rotation, and even "full screen" viewing in the
applications. Same with some still picture viewers.

There were patches and tricks rotate the screen in some of the
earlier versions of Pocket PC software (I think there was a way to
rotate both my Casio 125 and my HP 540) but that did not help much
since most of the applications would not work in any significant way
in "landscape" mode.

--
The Moving Target: mobile information technology
http://www.pathcom.com/~jimomura/

Archived from groups: comp.sys.handhelds (More info?)

"Tanel Kagan" <tanelkagan@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> As we are all aware most video content is shown either 4:3 or 16:9
> landscape, whereas the screens of most PDAs are in portrait orientation.
>
> Is it possible on any of the machines to rotate the display so that a
video
> can be watched in landscape making maximum possible use of the screen?

Media Player does it on the iPAQ (Pocket Windows). Strangely the image
viewer does as well, but rotates the picture the other way.

Ian.
Anonymous
October 12, 2004 3:54:12 PM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.handhelds (More info?)

And MS Mobile 2003 second edition

"Electric Fan Club" <ian.shorrocks@baeyourclothessystems.com> wrote in
message news:416a6ddf$1_1@baen1673807.greenlnk.net...

!