Anyone experiencing slow video on broadband?

geoff

Distinguished
Mar 19, 2001
Hi have just upgraded to broadband. Up to 30Mbps/1mbps no less. I now find that Youtube and even the video's on Tom's hardware are stop and start. All appears normal for other downloads. Just streamed videos. I have tried tuning software but this has had no effect.

Any others experiencing this/suggestions?

rgeist554

Distinguished
Oct 15, 2007
The only thing you can do is increase the buffer time or update the software that plays these videos. If that doesn't help, then the problem is likely not on your end since you say that all other downloads are fine.

geoff

Distinguished
Mar 19, 2001
Thanks for your input rgeist554.

I have found the problem. And since I know of no posted possible resolutions, I thought I would post one.

After not finding any solutions, only repeats of the problem on the internet, I settled down to try to investigate. I started with MS (Microsoft)'s Perfmon util. I used any error monitors for the network card. Packets Outbound Errors was the one that showed up higher in errors than I would have expected. In fact I would expect no errors as I have only two computers and would expect that it would be error free.

Anyway it was except for Packets Outbound Errors, which had 200. I searched MS site about that entry and it says that there should be no errors and if there was it would be a NIC problem. I used another card and problem gone.

There are still some errors on Packets Outbound Errors, but far less. I'm not sure if that's significant or not. As MS does say they expect it to be error free. However, I switch my machines off and on and I speculate that this causes errors on startup. Something that wouldn't be observed on a server that runs 24/7.