HDMI interface

Last response: in Home Theatre
Share
February 12, 2005 10:23:40 AM

I just installed my Sharp LC37G4U TV. I was thinking about getting a DVD
player with an HDMI interface. Will the HDMI interface take care of both
the audio and video signal to the TV?
If it does that would work great as that will free up input #2 on the back
for my X-box input. I don't want to use the front panel for a more or less
permanent connection.

More about : hdmi interface

February 12, 2005 3:31:55 PM

"BudMan" <notme@none.net> wrote in message
>I just installed my Sharp LC37G4U TV. I was thinking about getting a DVD
>player with an HDMI interface. Will the HDMI interface take care of both
>the audio and video signal to the TV?
> If it does that would work great as that will free up input #2 on the back
> for my X-box input. I don't want to use the front panel for a more or
> less permanent connection.
It should and it might. Some first generation chip sets implementing HDMI
have resulted in reports that only stereo is supported. This has not been
confirmed. But if you want full multi-channel Dolby Digital and DTS support
through your TV set you might want to check this out early on while you
still have the right to exchange the player.

Richard.
February 12, 2005 3:31:56 PM

"Richard" <rfeirste@nycap.rr.com> wrote in message

> "BudMan" <notme@none.net> wrote in message
>>I just installed my Sharp LC37G4U TV. I was thinking about getting a DVD
>>player with an HDMI interface. Will the HDMI interface take care of both
>>the audio and video signal to the TV?
>> If it does that would work great as that will free up input #2 on the
>> back for my X-box input. I don't want to use the front panel for a more
>> or less permanent connection.
> It should and it might. Some first generation chip sets implementing HDMI
> have resulted in reports that only stereo is supported. This has not been
> confirmed. But if you want full multi-channel Dolby Digital and DTS
> support through your TV set you might want to check this out early on
> while you still have the right to exchange the player.
>
> Richard.

I have a dvd with hdmi and it sends both video and audio to my TV Sony
kwbf42. I use the optical outputs on the DVD player for surround sound.
Strychnine
February 12, 2005 7:52:40 PM

> I have a dvd with hdmi and it sends both video and audio to my TV Sony
> kwbf42. I use the optical outputs on the DVD player for surround
> sound. Strychnine

So what is the benifit of hdmi then? I think most TVs only have two
speakers, and no way to hook up the other speakers. You end up not using
the audio from the hdmi and using your DD receiver instead. Am I missing
something?
February 12, 2005 7:52:41 PM

"Dave Solly" <none@where.com> wrote in message

>> I have a dvd with hdmi and it sends both video and audio to my TV Sony
>> kwbf42. I use the optical outputs on the DVD player for surround
>> sound. Strychnine
>>

> So what is the benifit of hdmi then? I think most TVs only have two
> speakers, and no way to hook up the other speakers. You end up not using
> the audio from the hdmi and using your DD receiver instead. Am I missing
> something?

I just finished installing my new Sony DVD player with HDMI. THe picture is
so much better than even the component video cable. I cannot comment on the
sound as I have not had delivery on the rest of the home theater parts.
Anonymous
February 12, 2005 8:49:53 PM

Dave Solly wrote:
>>I have a dvd with hdmi and it sends both video and audio to my TV Sony
>>kwbf42. I use the optical outputs on the DVD player for surround
>>sound. Strychnine
>>

> So what is the benifit of hdmi then? I think most TVs only have two
> speakers, and no way to hook up the other speakers. You end up not using
> the audio from the hdmi and using your DD receiver instead. Am I missing
> something?

The benefit of an HDMI is that it's a pure digital connection. It
doesn't go through an analog to digital conversion, or vice versa, so
for high-def video, it's the best.

As for HDMI "not using the audio and using the DD receiver instead",
that's pretty much almost the same as any other connection, no? Unless,
of course, you just want to hear a 2-channel stereo on your TV.

Anyway, a digital TOSlink optical audio out cable/connection transmits
the full surround sound of a unit with HDMI connection for now, if the
unit has one, which isn't bad at all, and is also a pure digital connection.

-Naz
February 12, 2005 8:50:11 PM

"Dave Solly" <none@where.com> wrote in message

>> I have a dvd with hdmi and it sends both video and audio to my TV Sony
>> kwbf42. I use the optical outputs on the DVD player for surround
>> sound. Strychnine
>>

> So what is the benifit of hdmi then? I think most TVs only have two
> speakers, and no way to hook up the other speakers. You end up not using
> the audio from the hdmi and using your DD receiver instead. Am I missing
> something?

The benefit of hdmi is that the picture is STELLAR. I popped in Sharktale
into the player and the picture is just.. Awesome. It beats component
inputs hands down.
Strychnine
Anonymous
February 12, 2005 9:03:20 PM

BudMan wrote:

> I just installed my Sharp LC37G4U TV. I was thinking about getting a DVD
> player with an HDMI interface. Will the HDMI interface take care of both
> the audio and video signal to the TV?
> If it does that would work great as that will free up input #2 on the back
> for my X-box input. I don't want to use the front panel for a more or less
> permanent connection.

Good question. I'd bet it would, but with the copyright protection on
HDMI, I really don't know. If you don't hear any sound from the TV
itself, you can always connect your digital audio out (optical TOSlink
cable) to your receiver with a digital input to get the full surround
sound from the X-BOX.

Just curious...how many HDMI inputs do you have in your Aquos?

-Naz
Anonymous
February 13, 2005 12:45:02 AM

Every TV I have ever seen has had only stereo audio. Many don't even have
outputs, only inputs. So, a guy can use the HDMI interface, have stereo
audio coming out of the TV speakers, and ALSO use the SPDIF output on their
DVD/Cable/Satellite box to go to their audio gear. Most TVs have an option
to disable the built in speakers.

"Dave Solly" <none@where.com> wrote in message
> So what is the benifit of hdmi then? I think most TVs only have two
> speakers, and no way to hook up the other speakers. You end up not using
> the audio from the hdmi and using your DD receiver instead. Am I missing
> something?

February 13, 2005 1:08:03 AM

> "Dave Solly" <none@where.com> wrote in message
>>>
>>> I have a dvd with hdmi and it sends both video and audio to my TV Sony
>>> kwbf42. I use the optical outputs on the DVD player for surround
>>> sound. Strychnine
>>>

>> So what is the benifit of hdmi then? I think most TVs only have two
>> speakers, and no way to hook up the other speakers. You end up not using
>> the audio from the hdmi and using your DD receiver instead. Am I missing
>> something?
>>
> I just finished installing my new Sony DVD player with HDMI. THe picture
> is so much better than even the component video cable. I cannot comment
> on the sound as I have not had delivery on the rest of the home theater
> parts.

I'm interested in this type of connection, as well (I have one of the Sony
Grand Wegas with the HDMI input) - which Sony DVD player did you buy?

- John
Anonymous
February 13, 2005 2:19:24 AM

Naz Reyes (user@site.com) wrote in alt.tv.tech.hdtv:
> The benefit of an HDMI is that it's a pure digital connection. It
> doesn't go through an analog to digital conversion, or vice versa, so
> for high-def video, it's the best.

That's really only true for fixed-pixel displays. Many CRT-based sets
use component input to pretty much directly drive the CRTs. The difference
between DVI (or HDMI) and component on these sets is just "where are the
best D/A converters...in the source device or the display?"

--
Jeff Rife | "You fell victim to one of the classic blunders,
| the most famous of which is 'Never get involved
| in a land war in Asia', but only slightly less
| famous is this: 'Never go in against a Sicilian,
| when death is on the line!'"
| -- Vizzini, The Princess Bride
Anonymous
February 13, 2005 3:50:13 AM

On Sat, 12 Feb 2005 07:23:40 -0500, BudMan wrote:

I have an LC37GD6U, and, as I understand it, the HDMI *should* pass a
sound signal that the set can use for either its internal amplifier and
speakers, or for it to pass on to its own digital optical output port.

I believe the set can also be configured to apply a volume setting (using
the TV's remote) to the signal passed through the optical output port.

This would be handy in the following setup:

Your source HDMI (such as a satellite, DVR or DVD player) would send
digital video and multi-channel sound via HDMI to the Aquos. The Aquos
would then add a volume setting to the digital sound signal and pass it
through the optical audio output to your surround sound equipment. That
way, you get full digital audio to the audio receiver, but can still use
the Aquos' volume settings.

This is all in theory. In my own case, I have been unable to get any
sound via HDMI (either from the set's builtin sound system or via the
optical output port) from either my DirecTV HR10-250 DVR or an
upconverting DVD player with HDMI. I have sent a message to Sharp asking
for technical support on this issue, but so far they have not replied.

PLM

--
[ ]
__OIIIIO__

On Sun, 13 Feb 2005 00:50:13 -0600, Patrick Mills
<nospam@nospam.invalid> wrote:

>On Sat, 12 Feb 2005 07:23:40 -0500, BudMan wrote:
>
>I have an LC37GD6U, and, as I understand it, the HDMI *should* pass a
>sound signal that the set can use for either its internal amplifier and
>speakers, or for it to pass on to its own digital optical output port.
>
>I believe the set can also be configured to apply a volume setting (using
>the TV's remote) to the signal passed through the optical output port.

>This would be handy in the following setup:
>
>Your source HDMI (such as a satellite, DVR or DVD player) would send
>digital video and multi-channel sound via HDMI to the Aquos. The Aquos
>would then add a volume setting to the digital sound signal and pass it
>through the optical audio output to your surround sound equipment. That
>way, you get full digital audio to the audio receiver, but can still use
>the Aquos' volume settings.

If it really changes the volume on the digital pass through, you don't
get the "full digital sound" to your surround amplifier.
(I have solved the issue of getting the IR-commands to both the TV
and surround amplifier by a programmable remote and IR/radio links.
This way I don't have to point around the room for the right
equipment.)

I can imagine another feature, though, in passing the digital sound
stream through the display.
I don't know if they have considered this but there normally is a
delay on the picture in the display which depends on what kind of
processing it does. Therefore, when the TV resamples and scales an
incomming signal to fit the display the sound should be delayed the
same amount.

Such a delay setting only exists in some surround amplifiers and even
if it can, it would be better if the display, which knows how much the
delay is, could add the delay on the sound stream automatically.

I don't know if the display manufacturers have included this function.
/Jan
February 13, 2005 4:18:10 PM

"John" <noneya.biz@email.com> wrote in message
> "BudMan" <notme@none.net> wrote in message
>>
>> "Dave Solly" <none@where.com> wrote in message

>>> So what is the benifit of hdmi then? I think most TVs only have two
>>> speakers, and no way to hook up the other speakers. You end up not using
>>> the audio from the hdmi and using your DD receiver instead. Am I missing
>>> something?
>>>
>> I just finished installing my new Sony DVD player with HDMI. THe picture
>> is so much better than even the component video cable. I cannot comment
>> on the sound as I have not had delivery on the rest of the home theater
>> parts.
>
> I'm interested in this type of connection, as well (I have one of the Sony
> Grand Wegas with the HDMI input) - which Sony DVD player did you buy?
>
> - John

John,
Got the Sony DVP-NS975V. The local mom and pop electronics store sold it to
me for $275 plus $25 for a quality HDMI cable. I could have gotten it
cheaper by about $30 on line, but these people treat me real good.
Considering I got an HDMI cable for less than $70, it was probably a break
even deal. One thing to keep in mind is that HDMI works best with a fixed
pixel, non-CRT, display.
February 13, 2005 4:23:05 PM

"Naz Reyes" <user@site.com> wrote in message

> BudMan wrote:
>
>> I just installed my Sharp LC37G4U TV. I was thinking about getting a DVD
>> player with an HDMI interface. Will the HDMI interface take care of both
>> the audio and video signal to the TV?
>> If it does that would work great as that will free up input #2 on the
>> back for my X-box input. I don't want to use the front panel for a more
>> or less permanent connection.
>
> Good question. I'd bet it would, but with the copyright protection on
> HDMI, I really don't know. If you don't hear any sound from the TV
> itself, you can always connect your digital audio out (optical TOSlink
> cable) to your receiver with a digital input to get the full surround
> sound from the X-BOX.
>
> Just curious...how many HDMI inputs do you have in your Aquos?
>
> -Naz
Just one HDMI. But there is a DVI and two component inputs in the back and
another AV conncetion on the front. Also an antenna A/B connection for the
VCR, which will never be used excpet for my wife's exercise videos. All of
those cables into one box. But its nice because the connection box is
seperate from the monitor. Only one thick run of cable goes to the monitor.
February 13, 2005 4:25:40 PM

"Patrick Mills" <nospam@nospam.invalid> wrote in message
news:p an.2005.02.13.06.50.11.534488@nospam.invalid...
> On Sat, 12 Feb 2005 07:23:40 -0500, BudMan wrote:
>
> I have an LC37GD6U, and, as I understand it, the HDMI *should* pass a
> sound signal that the set can use for either its internal amplifier and
> speakers, or for it to pass on to its own digital optical output port.
>
> I believe the set can also be configured to apply a volume setting (using
> the TV's remote) to the signal passed through the optical output port.
>
> This would be handy in the following setup:
>
> Your source HDMI (such as a satellite, DVR or DVD player) would send
> digital video and multi-channel sound via HDMI to the Aquos. The Aquos
> would then add a volume setting to the digital sound signal and pass it
> through the optical audio output to your surround sound equipment. That
> way, you get full digital audio to the audio receiver, but can still use
> the Aquos' volume settings.
>
> This is all in theory. In my own case, I have been unable to get any
> sound via HDMI (either from the set's builtin sound system or via the
> optical output port) from either my DirecTV HR10-250 DVR or an
> upconverting DVD player with HDMI. I have sent a message to Sharp asking
> for technical support on this issue, but so far they have not replied.
>
> PLM
>

>> I just installed my Sharp
> LC37G4U TV. I was thinking about getting a
>> DVD player with an HDMI interface. Will the HDMI interface take care of
>> both the audio and video signal to the TV? If it does that would work
>> great as that will free up input #2 on the back for my X-box input. I
>> don't want to use the front panel for a more or less permanent
>> connection.
>
> --
> [ ]
> __OIIIIO__
> |||=oo=|||
> ||| |||
Pat,
Sorry for your problems. On mine (LC37G4U) the sound does pass from the DVD
player right to the TV's control unit.
February 13, 2005 7:10:47 PM

That's really only true for fixed-pixel displays. Many CRT-based sets use
component input to pretty much directly drive the CRTs. The difference
between DVI (or HDMI) and component on these sets is just "where are the
best D/A converters...in the source device or the display?"

> --
> Jeff Rife | "You fell victim to one of the classic blunders,
> | the most famous of which is 'Never get involved
> | in a land war in Asia', but only slightly less
> | famous is this: 'Never go in against a Sicilian,
> | when death is on the line!'"
> | -- Vizzini, The Princess Bride

You hit the nail on the head.

Richard.
Anonymous
March 27, 2005 12:54:19 PM

And then one day BudMan said,

> "Patrick Mills" <nospam@nospam.invalid> wrote in message
> news:p an.2005.02.13.06.50.11.534488@nospam.invalid...
>> On Sat, 12 Feb 2005 07:23:40 -0500, BudMan wrote:
>>
>> I have an LC37GD6U, and, as I understand it, the HDMI *should* pass a
>> sound signal that the set can use for either its internal amplifier and
>> speakers, or for it to pass on to its own digital optical output port.
>>
>> I believe the set can also be configured to apply a volume setting (using
>> the TV's remote) to the signal passed through the optical output port.
>>
>> This would be handy in the following setup:
>>
>> Your source HDMI (such as a satellite, DVR or DVD player) would send
>> digital video and multi-channel sound via HDMI to the Aquos. The Aquos
>> would then add a volume setting to the digital sound signal and pass it
>> through the optical audio output to your surround sound equipment. That
>> way, you get full digital audio to the audio receiver, but can still use
>> the Aquos' volume settings.
>>
>> This is all in theory. In my own case, I have been unable to get any
>> sound via HDMI (either from the set's builtin sound system or via the
>> optical output port) from either my DirecTV HR10-250 DVR or an
>> upconverting DVD player with HDMI. I have sent a message to Sharp asking
>> for technical support on this issue, but so far they have not replied.
>>
>> PLM
>>

>>> I just installed my Sharp
>> LC37G4U TV. I was thinking about getting a
>>> DVD player with an HDMI interface. Will the HDMI interface take care of
>>> both the audio and video signal to the TV? If it does that would work
>>> great as that will free up input #2 on the back for my X-box input. I
>>> don't want to use the front panel for a more or less permanent
>>> connection.
>>
>> --
>> [ ]
>> __OIIIIO__
>> |||=oo=|||
>> ||| |||
> Pat,
> Sorry for your problems. On mine (LC37G4U) the sound does pass from the DVD
> player right to the TV's control unit.

FWIW, I have a 37GHDU Aquos as well. The HDMI input connects to an HD TiVo
receiver. The picture + sound works well for non HD channels. However, on HD
channels, the sound is replaced by a horrible loud clicking noise. Calls to
DirecTV have been useless. I've researched a few online forums and found
that this is a common problem with the Aquos. Here's a link:

http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb/showthread.php?p=2...

To get around it, I'm using the HDMI - DVI connector, and routing the sound
through a stereo. Now it "works"

--
David
Anonymous

And then one day David Leon said,

> And then one day BudMan said,
>

>> "Patrick Mills" <nospam@nospam.invalid> wrote in message
>> news:p an.2005.02.13.06.50.11.534488@nospam.invalid...
>>> On Sat, 12 Feb 2005 07:23:40 -0500, BudMan wrote:
>>>
>>> I have an LC37GD6U, and, as I understand it, the HDMI *should* pass a
>>> sound signal that the set can use for either its internal amplifier and
>>> speakers, or for it to pass on to its own digital optical output port.
>>>
>>> I believe the set can also be configured to apply a volume setting (using
>>> the TV's remote) to the signal passed through the optical output port.
>>>
>>> This would be handy in the following setup:
>>>
>>> Your source HDMI (such as a satellite, DVR or DVD player) would send
>>> digital video and multi-channel sound via HDMI to the Aquos. The Aquos
>>> would then add a volume setting to the digital sound signal and pass it
>>> through the optical audio output to your surround sound equipment. That
>>> way, you get full digital audio to the audio receiver, but can still use
>>> the Aquos' volume settings.
>>>
>>> This is all in theory. In my own case, I have been unable to get any
>>> sound via HDMI (either from the set's builtin sound system or via the
>>> optical output port) from either my DirecTV HR10-250 DVR or an
>>> upconverting DVD player with HDMI. I have sent a message to Sharp asking
>>> for technical support on this issue, but so far they have not replied.
>>>
>>> PLM

>>> LC37G4U TV. I was thinking about getting a
>>>
>>> --
>>> [ ]
>>> __OIIIIO__
>>> |||=oo=|||
>>> ||| |||
>> Pat,
>> Sorry for your problems. On mine (LC37G4U) the sound does pass from the DVD
>> player right to the TV's control unit.
>>

> FWIW, I have a 37GHDU Aquos as well. The HDMI input connects to an HD TiVo
> receiver. The picture + sound works well for non HD channels. However, on HD
> channels, the sound is replaced by a horrible loud clicking noise. Calls to
> DirecTV have been useless. I've researched a few online forums and found
> that this is a common problem with the Aquos. Here's a link:
>
> http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb/showthread.php?p=2...
>
> To get around it, I'm using the HDMI - DVI connector, and routing the sound
> through a stereo. Now it "works"

UPDATE: applying the version "F" update to the Tivo software & changing the
selection in the Tivo audio from Dolby to normal has corrected the audio
problem. The pink screen issue is still there, but the audio now works.
--
David
!