Sign in with
Your question

external storage

Last response: in Storage
June 20, 2007 4:15:48 PM

Hi all, I'm looking into external storage. can anyone tell me what is the best external storage out there that's about 500gb?

More about : external storage

a b G Storage
June 20, 2007 5:03:08 PM

"Best," without information on how it will be used, is highly subjective. For simple bulk storage, if it were me I would buy an external USB case and put a big (320GB-500GB) drive in it.
Do you have an eSATA port? Do you need to provide multi-user access to this drive?
June 20, 2007 5:19:54 PM

it will be used with a USB port and only used by one person. for now, lets ignore the external usb case and go with one with a built in hardrive. any recomendations?

Quote:
"Best," without information on how it will be used, is highly subjective. For simple bulk storage, if it were me I would buy an external USB case and put a big (320GB-500GB) drive in it.
Do you have an eSATA port? Do you need to provide multi-user access to this drive?
Related resources
a b G Storage
June 20, 2007 5:51:01 PM

Well, the commercial units out there are basically a pre-selected USB case and drive, for more money than buying the case and drive yourself. They're pretty painless to assemble. I've never bought a commercial one, but I've built a few and never had any trouble.
June 20, 2007 5:52:20 PM

USB/Firewire 500GB external units by Seagate and Buffalo are sold @ Frys (walk in price) for under $120 each week.
!