Alright so not sure if this is the right area but i figured toms was the best place to find somebody that might have a clue whats wrong with my vista machine
Here goes its pretty simple, about 3 weeks ago my old GPU which was evga 8800 gt superclocked was coming up in vista as having a failed display driver error and failing and whatever, so i replaced it with some cheap PNY 240 GT. Since the replacement(and multiple clean OS installs of vista) and another videocard plus putting the old one back in, my computer randomly LOCKS up completely, but audio continues to play.
1. Fresh install of OS x3
2. two full runs of memtest86 plus vista memory diag on ram
3. checkdisk and spinrite and random hard drive program to test for failure
4. removed and uninstalled creative x-fi pcie x1 soundcard completely, then fresh install
5. all data completely removed, partitions gone and backed up and put onto external hard drive that has not been plugged in since install
6. Full virus scan ran with kaspersky internet security 2010 and avast, avira, aVG.
7. Multiple defrags ran (for whatever reason)
8. Different monitor plugged in
9. Physically cleaned system to prevent any sort of airflow blockage
10.Checked cpuz and gpuz to see if any hardware was running hot = none
11. physcially felt for a rise in temperature on any hardware after running pc for 6+hours
SO in conclusion as I think i've ran most tests that can be run POST fresh OS install I haven't the slightest idea what could be causing this and me being a medium level computer user i'm becoming completely frustrated beyond belief.
It freezes for no reason at all but it seems to do it more when im running windows media player or another media playing product. BUT when it freezes the mouse locks up, audio continues to play, and no blue screen of death. I have to do a hard manual shutdown and start my pc up again.
Any help would be greatly appreciated from anybody that would have any insight on what could be causing this so i can attempt to fix this thingg
Moderators if this is the wrong area for this post I will gladly post it in its proper area but this is my first post in these forums.
Computer specs are as follows :
Computer Type ACPI x64-based PC
Operating System Microsoft Windows Vista Home Premium X64bit
CPU Type QuadCore AMD Phenom X4 Black Edition 9850, 2500 MHz (12.5 x 200)
Motherboard Name DFI LANParty DK 790FXB-M2RS(H) (3 PCI, 3 PCI-E x16, 4 DDR2 DIMM, Audio, Gigabit LAN)
Motherboard Chipset AMD 790FX, AMD K10
DIMM3: Kingston 2G-UDIMM
DIMM4: Kingston 2G-UDIMM
BIOS Type Award (09/30/08)
Video Adapter NVIDIA GeForce GT 240 (512 MB)
3D Accelerator nVIDIA D10P1-30
Monitor LG L226WT (Digital) [22" LCD] (1701274432)
Audio Adapter Realtek ALC889A @ ATI SB750 - High Definition Audio Controller
Disk Drive SEAGATE ST31000528AS ATA Device (1000 GB, 7200 RPM, SATA-II)
Optical Drive Optiarc DVD RW AD-7170S ATA Device
So i replaced the gpu and psu to see if that was it and i actually finally got a bluescreen with an bbc error code 101 that from other links on forums seems to relate to processing core failures on phenom series MOBO. Going to contact amd and see about shipping it off