Sign in with
Your question

Question about Diskeeper 2010 Auto Defrag

Last response: in Applications
March 29, 2011 5:01:00 AM

Hello,I was just curious If it's possible for the auto defrag to cause certain games to freeze.Couldn't find much info and was looking for some advice or opinions.
July 14, 2011 5:15:05 AM

YOSTBEEF said:
Hello,I was just curious If it's possible for the auto defrag to cause certain games to freeze.Couldn't find much info and was looking for some advice or opinions.

I've never heard of auto defrag on any program causing a game to freeze, especially Diskeeper since the 2010 and newer versions prevent most fragmentation before it happens, so there is very little actual defragmenting going on.

If you suspect the auto defrag is causing the problem, you can test it by excluding the relevant game files from the defrag using Diskeeper's exclusion list feature (or even easier you could pause the auto defrag feature while playing the game) and then see if the game freezes (which I'm guessing it probably will).

I would suspect something is corrupt in the game itself. Maybe a re-install of the game would resolve it?

Do you get any error message or does it just hang?

I would re-install the game and then see how it goes.

If not, maybe you need more RAM (the PC would use the hard drive as "RAM" if you don't have enough memory while playing the game, causing lags and maybe even hangs as the disk is nowhere near as fast as RAM. This could also happen if one of the memory modules is going bad so the PC can't use all the available memory).

Test your RAM and see how much your PC reports it has. Can also check the timings on the RAM to see if correct.

I'm curious about this so pls let us know what finally resolves this!

Bill R TechSpec
m
l
June 19, 2012 7:19:01 PM

Hello,I was just curious If it's possible for the auto defrag to cause certain games to freeze.

Yes.
m
l
June 19, 2012 7:19:55 PM

My auto defrag on my old rig use to make my Metro 2033 freeze.
m
l
!