CPU Troubles in Compaq Presario v5000 Laptop

pous

Distinguished
Mar 30, 2007
Hey there everyone, I've been having a slight issue with my v5000.

When I run CPU-z on it it shows the CPU running at 797MHz... rather than what it should be (1.9GHz)... I'm not sure why it would do this, and it's a bit upsetting...

Can anyone help?

drew455

Distinguished
Jun 17, 2007
does your motherboard lower the clock speed when the cpu is not being used heavily? also do you have the latest version of cpuz?

pous

Distinguished
Mar 30, 2007
does your motherboard lower the clock speed when the cpu is not being used heavily? also do you have the latest version of cpuz?

I got the latest version of cpuz (1.4 according to many sites) and as far as the motherboard question.... how will I go about figuring out the answer to that?

clairvoyant129

Distinguished
May 27, 2006

When I run CPU-z on it it shows the CPU running at 797MHz... rather than what it should be (1.9GHz)... I'm not sure why it would do this, and it's a bit upsetting...

Can anyone help?

Google is your friend.

Anyway, this has been asked so many times, it's kinda frustrating. I'm guessing it's Cool and Quiet/Speed Step, your CPU underclocks when it's idle. It's normal.

pous

Distinguished
Mar 30, 2007

Can anyone help?

Google is your friend.

Anyway, this has been asked so many times, it's kinda frustrating. I'm guessing it's Cool and Quiet/Speed Step, your CPU underclocks when it's idle. It's normal.

Without trying to be more frustrating that I've already been....

Is there a way to turn off that feature?

clairvoyant129

Distinguished
May 27, 2006

Can anyone help?

Google is your friend.

Without trying to be more frustrating that I've already been....

Is there a way to turn off that feature?

I suggest you not do that unless you want a short battery life/toasty notebooks. Besides, your CPU clocks up when you start doing anything so it doesn't matter.

If you really want to turn it off though...

I'm guessing since you have a Compaq, it's a locked BIOS so you won't be able to shutoff Cool&Quiet/EIST from there, so

If you have Vista, right click on the battery icon on task bar and click "High Performance." For XP, go to Control Panel and click Power Options. From there, change the Power Scheme to desktop.