Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

CD Key again...

Last response: in Video Games
Share
February 27, 2005 1:19:53 AM

Archived from groups: alt.games.quake3 (More info?)

I've put my cdkey into quake3, and it still says invalid cd key when i try
and join a lot of gamespy servers. Any ideas why?

Thanks,
Dan.

More about : key

Anonymous
February 27, 2005 1:19:54 AM

Archived from groups: alt.games.quake3 (More info?)

open the q3key file that's in the directory baseq3 in notepad or wordpad and
make sure your cdkey is in there, if it isn't then open quake3.exe and put
in the cdkey again and close out quake3.exe and make sure its in there.

if you do see your cdkey in the file, then make sure every letter and number
is correct that you typed in for your cdkey.

if all else fails then i would just say your cdkey is what it says it is.

empty key file/misstyped cdkey/missing a number or letter

well, if someone else is using it then it wouldn't say invalid, so..

hope this helps you, pz.

-d

"Dan" <dan@nospam.com> wrote in message
news:cvqsgs$10a$1$8302bc10@news.demon.co.uk...
> I've put my cdkey into quake3, and it still says invalid cd key when i try
> and join a lot of gamespy servers. Any ideas why?
>
> Thanks,
> Dan.
>
>
Anonymous
February 27, 2005 1:19:54 AM

Archived from groups: alt.games.quake3 (More info?)

I seem to remember this happening when I did not have the correct
version of a mod or they were running a different version patch.

Do you have downloading enabled?


Happy Fraggin
[OFx]Chilimac
Related resources
Can't find your answer ? Ask !
Anonymous
February 27, 2005 1:19:55 AM

Archived from groups: alt.games.quake3 (More info?)

"D.J" <sysrq@comcast.net> wrote in message
news:S8udnXoGYZLLZb3fRVn-rQ@comcast.com...
> open the q3key file that's in the directory baseq3 in notepad or wordpad
> and make sure your cdkey is in there, if it isn't then open quake3.exe and
> put in the cdkey again and close out quake3.exe and make sure its in
> there.
>
> if you do see your cdkey in the file, then make sure every letter and
> number is correct that you typed in for your cdkey.
>
> if all else fails then i would just say your cdkey is what it says it is.
>
> empty key file/misstyped cdkey/missing a number or letter
>
> well, if someone else is using it then it wouldn't say invalid, so..
>
> hope this helps you, pz.
>
> -d
>
> "Dan" <dan@nospam.com> wrote in message
> news:cvqsgs$10a$1$8302bc10@news.demon.co.uk...
>> I've put my cdkey into quake3, and it still says invalid cd key when i
>> try
>> and join a lot of gamespy servers. Any ideas why?
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Dan.
>>
>>
>
>

Stick a copy in each mod's folder.
Anonymous
February 27, 2005 2:37:54 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.quake3 (More info?)

I think perhaps they fixed this issue but I thought it might be worth
mentioning. The key is printed in all caps on the sticker but it
actually needs to be lower case. I thought they had fixed this in a
point release but maybe not.

This is one of those questions that has been asked a bazillion times.
Try searching google groups if it isn't the lower case thing.

http://groups-beta.google.com/group/alt.games.quake3

Dan wrote:
> I've put my cdkey into quake3, and it still says invalid cd key when i try
> and join a lot of gamespy servers. Any ideas why?
>
> Thanks,
> Dan.
>
>
Anonymous
February 27, 2005 4:34:43 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.quake3 (More info?)

> Stick a copy in each mod's folder.

Not a good idea. I think this will cause you even more trouble. Make
sure that there is only one copy of the q3key file, in the baseq3
directory. If you have Team Arena installed, there should be a
different q3key file in the missonpack directory, this is okay.

I also sometimes get the 'Invalid cdkey' message, don't know why. Might
be that the server is unable to connect to the authentication server.
The server might have a non-standard patch, you could even try
connecting without a q3key file. Some servers are cracked to allow you
to play without buying the game.


Tor
February 27, 2005 10:04:44 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.quake3 (More info?)

It seemed to be because I had typed my cd key in lower case. Quake3 didn't
seem to mind - I guess gamespy did.




"Tydr Schnubbis" <fake@address.dude> wrote in message
news:T%jUd.2393$4c.288299@juliett.dax.net...
> > Stick a copy in each mod's folder.
>
> Not a good idea. I think this will cause you even more trouble. Make
> sure that there is only one copy of the q3key file, in the baseq3
> directory. If you have Team Arena installed, there should be a
> different q3key file in the missonpack directory, this is okay.
>
> I also sometimes get the 'Invalid cdkey' message, don't know why. Might
> be that the server is unable to connect to the authentication server.
> The server might have a non-standard patch, you could even try
> connecting without a q3key file. Some servers are cracked to allow you
> to play without buying the game.
>
>
> Tor
February 27, 2005 10:06:00 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.quake3 (More info?)

Changing my q3key file to uppercase seemed to fix it.



> I think perhaps they fixed this issue but I thought it might be worth
> mentioning. The key is printed in all caps on the sticker but it
> actually needs to be lower case. I thought they had fixed this in a
> point release but maybe not.
>
> This is one of those questions that has been asked a bazillion times.
> Try searching google groups if it isn't the lower case thing.
>
> http://groups-beta.google.com/group/alt.games.quake3
>
> Dan wrote:
> > I've put my cdkey into quake3, and it still says invalid cd key when i
try
> > and join a lot of gamespy servers. Any ideas why?
> >
> > Thanks,
> > Dan.
> >
> >
Anonymous
March 1, 2005 9:23:38 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.quake3 (More info?)

ah ok...knew it was one way or the other

Dan wrote:
> Changing my q3key file to uppercase seemed to fix it.
>
>
>
>
>> I think perhaps they fixed this issue but I thought it might be worth
>>mentioning. The key is printed in all caps on the sticker but it
>>actually needs to be lower case. I thought they had fixed this in a
>>point release but maybe not.
>>
>> This is one of those questions that has been asked a bazillion times.
>>Try searching google groups if it isn't the lower case thing.
>>
>> http://groups-beta.google.com/group/alt.games.quake3
>>
>>Dan wrote:
>>
>>>I've put my cdkey into quake3, and it still says invalid cd key when i
>
> try
>
>>>and join a lot of gamespy servers. Any ideas why?
>>>
>>>Thanks,
>>>Dan.
>>>
>>>
>
>
>
!