Sign in with
Your question

Newbie in need of help with 7800GT problems and few others!

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
June 20, 2007 8:07:08 PM

Hi all,

Im bit of a newbie with this sort of thing so would appreciate any help i can get. After a little while playing any game (COD2, Battfield 2142), i get artifacts (lines, blocks a whole variety of colours)
and eventually it will freeze. This happens after different amounts of times and sometimes doesnt happen at all.....at the server load screen on COD 2 i get freezes if i let it load for too long, My computer restarts whenever it feels like some days are fine, others it will only work for 5 mins before restarting and last but not least. When i boot my pc for the first time i sometimes get no screen, fans and everything work but nothing happens. Second time round its fine.

System is a bit outdated now but specs are the following.

AMD Athlon 3800 (San Diego)
A8N SLI Premium
1gb corsiar value ram
Point of View 7800GT
160GB Seagate Baracuda (SATA)
Enermax Liberty 400w psu

A whole load of different problems. i have no idea what to do, i dont think overheating is the problem although things use to be better with the side of the case off....now make little difference at all. I have stock fans and my computer is not overclocked. I once had a tiny go but the overclocking was absolute minimal and temps were nothing above usual so cant think that would have caused a problem.

Have updated drivers for the graphics card, dont know how to update bios etc.

Any help is would be appreciated. (hope its something simple)

Thanks Mark

More about : newbie 7800gt problems

June 20, 2007 11:58:15 PM

Use Everest, and check the temperature.
June 21, 2007 12:36:56 AM

Point of View? what kind of GFX supplier is that. First and foremost if you still for godsake have the recpiet and maybe the box call up get an RMA and maybe they'll send you a replacement or a new card.

IF you still cannot do that buy a new GFX it looks like this is a problem that really cant be solved by simply methods.
Related resources
June 21, 2007 9:23:38 PM

Graphics card got a very good review when i bought it... never mind.

Think i got all the bits still it has a 3 year warranty so should be fine.

thanks for help!

Checked temps again all seems fine. GPU idle temp is around 45C. Waht temps are safe for GPU's to get to under load?

Mark
June 22, 2007 4:04:39 AM

45C is great most GFX can handle up to 75C
June 22, 2007 3:58:33 PM

I had 2 XFX 7800GT's and I had one in a computer with a 400w Antec TruePower, ugh, what a disaster! Got the same problems as what you are having!! Check the psu. I am not saying its the problem but the 7800GT does take a good amount of power.
June 22, 2007 4:51:40 PM

mmm maybe, but all the specs for the power supply match up and surely if it is SLI capable then one graphics card shouldnt be too much should it?

Anyway thanks again!
!