making your PPC use cell phone as a modem for internet

September 28, 2004 5:50:28 PM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.handhelds (More info?)

hello all

i find a way to use my ppc hp1940 to use bluetooth to dial a number
with my phone as a dialup modem (t68i) and it dials it np, but then it
hangs up, i dont know why?
any one got the internet to work from ppc using cellphone to internet
(NOT GPRS).
just dialup, if you have a dialup account and dialing it with
cellphone?

eden.clone@gmail.com
Anonymous
September 29, 2004 7:59:36 PM

On 28 Sep 2004 13:50:28 -0700, eden.clone@gmail.com (Eden) wrote:

>hello all
>
>i find a way to use my ppc hp1940 to use bluetooth to dial a number
>with my phone as a dialup modem (t68i) and it dials it np, but then it
>hangs up, i dont know why?
>any one got the internet to work from ppc using cellphone to internet
>(NOT GPRS).
>just dialup, if you have a dialup account and dialing it with
>cellphone?
>
>eden.clone@gmail.com

I have not used a cell phone with a PPC, but have used one with a Win
98 laptop and an HPC. My Motorola StarTac 7868w says it is data ready
in one of its menus. I bought a serial cable for it, and it looks just
like a modem to Hyperlink (laptop) and Remote Networking (HP 620
upgraded to CE 2.11). I can dial up my ISP on either. The biggest
"trick" is setting the speed to 19.2K, maximum supported by the modem
in the cell phone. This cell phone uses CDMA and the carrier is
Verizon.

I just got a Motorola V66. Specification say it can be used as a
modem, but I haven't tried yet. This cell phone uses GSM and the
carrier is T-Mobile.

I just used google (http://groups.google.com/advanced_group_search) to
look up
ppc modem cell phone
and got 708 hits. Several on the first page look relevant and useful.
Including a thread with my contributions.

Robert E. Zaret, eMVP
PenFact, Inc.
500 Harrison Ave., Suite 3R
Boston, MA 02118