2900XT vs 8800GTS compared in terms of cars

Phrozt

Distinguished
Jun 19, 2002
I don't think people understand how horrible this card is from a proper perspective. Hopefully, an analogy will clear things up.

A BMW 8800GTS640 is a high end hybrid car that gets 63.5 MPG on the highway and 26.5 MPG in the city. It costs $35,000

A Mercedes 2900XT is a high end hybrid car that gets 58 MPG on the highway and 17.5 MPG in the city. It costs $43,000

Both obviously get great MPG on the highway, but then again, most cars do. However, handling day to day driving (which is one of the main reasons you buy a car in the first place), the BMW clearly acts as a high end hybrid, while the Mercedes does not, which is pretty much the difference between the two. The BMW is a high performance car all around, while the Mercedes is a hamstrung mediocre car at a high performance price; WAY higher, in fact, than the BMW!

If these were 2 actual cars, why in the world would you buy the Mercedes over the BMW?

Now... the fun part. How did I get these numbers? The pricetag for the cars reflects the price of each card + the hundredths place ($349.99 + hundredths = $35,000... $429.99 = $43,000). I took the 2 most purchased cards from each category off Newegg for the baseline price. The "MPG" I got by taking the PREY benchmarks and dividing them in half for 1280x1024 with and without eyecandy from the recent tweaktown article with updated ATI drivers....

So really... it's a great correlation from a different perspective that is not fanboy based to take a look at the price vs/performance...

I don't think people understand how horrible this card is from a proper perspective. Hopefully, an analogy will clear things up.

A BMW 8800GTS640 is a high end hybrid car that gets 63.5 MPG on the highway and 26.5 MPG in the city. It costs $35,000

A Mercedes 2900XT is a high end hybrid car that gets 58 MPG on the highway and 17.5 MPG in the city. It costs $43,000

Both obviously get great MPG on the highway, but then again, most cars do. However, handling day to day driving (which is one of the main reasons you buy a car in the first place), the BMW clearly acts as a high end hybrid, while the Mercedes does not, which is pretty much the difference between the two. The BMW is a high performance car all around, while the Mercedes is a hamstrung mediocre car at a high performance price; WAY higher, in fact, than the BMW!

If these were 2 actual cars, why in the world would you buy the Mercedes over the BMW?

Now... the fun part. How did I get these numbers? The pricetag for the cars reflects the price of each card + the hundredths place ($349.99 + hundredths = $35,000... $429.99 = $43,000). I took the 2 most purchased cards from each category off Newegg for the baseline price. The "MPG" I got by taking the PREY benchmarks and dividing them in half for 1280x1024 with and without eyecandy from the recent tweaktown article with updated ATI drivers....

So really... it's a great correlation from a different perspective that is not fanboy based to take a look at the price vs/performance...

I could have had a BMW 8800? And to think I just bought a turbo charged Mazda CX7 last week.

Rabidpeanut

Distinguished
Dec 14, 2005
This is rather unoriginal...

Give it up Phrozt, you bought the losing card and now you are having a tantrum and throwing all your collectible figurines around your room in your parents basement where you have lived for 30 years. Give it up.

Go on do the traditional american thing to do, march down to ATI and start shooting up their offices.

HOW DARE ATI USE ELECTRICITY!

How dare you use food...

Oh, yes, EVERYTHING you do is based on price versus performance. Somehow i doubt you will use $200 on electricity for your pc in a year.

ROFFLMFAO.

Phrozt

Distinguished
Jun 19, 2002
Unoriginal? I've never seen someone make a comparison like this... ever.

I'm officially convinced after your last post that you're missing a chromosome or 3.

blade85

Distinguished
Sep 19, 2006
lol you just stop will you till everyone on this forum agrees to every word you say.

news flash...people have their own choices and own reasons for picking a card. stop forcing the same info down their throat every week with a twist.

Phrozt

Distinguished
Jun 19, 2002
lol you just stop will you till everyone on this forum agrees to every word you say.

news flash...people have their own choices and own reasons for picking a card. stop forcing the same info down their throat every week with a twist.

I agree with you!

Some choose a card because they are fanboys.
Some choose a card because it's better performance for price.

I chose the latter. You're perfectly right in saying that people will choose whatever they want to, I was just trying to paint a picture for the handful of people that come to this forum w/out really knowing what's going on and tend to get swayed by fanboys rather than facts.

Rabidpeanut

Distinguished
Dec 14, 2005
I MADE THIS COMPARISON DUMBASS.

Wankel engine vs Traditional combustion engine, IOW Rx8 versus Ford Pickup. You are as fast as mud, you know that? And it is not even sliding down a hill.

hannibal

Distinguished
Everything is relative

In Finland the cheapest:
- 8800GTS640 is 347€ (451$)
- 2900Xt is 372€ (484$)

So no big difference in here... 25€ (about 32.5$)
If we compare middle prices the picture is totally different... http://www.mbnet.fi/hintaseuranta/kori.aspx?lisaa=52069

All 8800GTS640: http://www.mbnet.fi/hintaseuranta/h...ria=&Alaraja=0&Ylaraja=&hae=+Hae+&jarjestys=0
All 2900XT: http://www.mbnet.fi/hintaseuranta/h...ria=&Alaraja=0&Ylaraja=&hae=+Hae+&jarjestys=0
There seems to be guite huge variation of prices in all around the world... I mean relative prises...

I would like to know how much it is elsewhere. German? UK?
Japan?

The difference seems to be 81$ is USA? The GTS seem to be relatively cheap in there...

Rabidpeanut

Distinguished
Dec 14, 2005
I don't think they will be COMPLETELY useless. They might still be okay, but there is always a bigger fish.

The whole point of dx is not to suck your performance away, but to get the hardware doing more for less work. So they might be *really* good. DX10 is more efficient at handling many many many simple objects. So it will make running crysis on dx10 easier on the card than in dx9 mode cause of all the leaves (imo i think they look a bit crappy but we will see). But if crysis is anything like farcry was then i think the next wave of cards are going to have to kick ASS.

Anyway, so far in crysis you can see all the edges and how they did everything. So it will be cool but not as cool as they always say it will be.

FatFunkey

Distinguished
Apr 11, 2006
honest to god why are people still crying over the HD2900XT...

yes it was delayed, yes it cant go against the GTX boo freakin hoo..

3-4 months its going to be outdated along with the whole 8xxxx series anyways..

give it a damn break already...

1st it was OH SNAP ITS BEATING THE GTX and all the Nvid people were like Dude its 3dMark it means shit, then the scores got lower and he GTX was closer to it and people went LOL its a POS; ironicly saying 3dMark mean something..*side note i hate 3dsMark it proves nothing except for how big your e-peen is.

with just 1 new driver release the HD2900XT goes against the 8800GTS quite well imo and in some games gets close to GTX speeds, its something other then nvid and brings competition...yes it needs more power and runs hotter but most PC gamers have a 500+watt PSU anyways...

give it a god damn break already, every day there is a HD2900 IS A FLOP!1111oneoneeleven post and its kinda retarded...

The HD2900XT IS NOT A FLOP, for the price it is not a GTX contender but a GTS.

oh yea and i sadly doubt the 1gig version will help, but then again i could be wrong it might need 1gig of memory to shine with the 512bit bust....but for now im going to wait for drivers.

Rabidpeanut

Distinguished
Dec 14, 2005
It is not a flop, it is not amazing, it is not nVidia, it is not going to stop me buying it. :) I don't think the 1 gig version will be much better cause of the 1 gig, but it is gddr4 and that is the point of it. the 512 extra is just icing. if they had a 512 with gddr4 yet i would get that.

antoant

Distinguished
Jun 22, 2006
Wait. BMW and Mercedes make hybrids??? And are you saying that a hybrid gets better mileage on the highway than in the city? You definitely want to reconsider that.

And finally you are saying that a BMW is a high performance car while the Benz is not? Are you crasy? No seriously are you? I have three letters for you SLR.

SEALBoy

Distinguished
Aug 17, 2006
We (well most of us, anyways) aren't stupid, and we know how to read benchmarks.

Besides, the HD 2900XT isn't the "OMGWTF THIS F*CKING SUCKS!!!11!" card you make it out to be...

Ahh, what a bunch of crap...my Jetta TDI get's 45mpg whether I drive city or highway, is based on proven technology, costs less to run, costs less to maintain, and only costs $21,500!!!!

What does this have to do with your analogy? Absolutely nothing?

What is the point of this thread? To increase my post count!

+1 for me muthafu*kas!

Give it up Phrozt...you and this lame a$$ thread!

turboflame

Distinguished
Aug 6, 2006

63x1c7k.jpg

bfellow

Distinguished
Dec 22, 2006
Actually the two cards now are cars without fuel injection systems and safety standards. These DX10 cards are basically going to be the "low-end" of the DX10 series one day.

Mandrake_

Distinguished
Oct 7, 2006
The HD2900XT IS NOT A FLOP, for the price it is not a GTX contender but a GTS.

In real world game testing it can't keep up with the 8800 GTS even with the new drivers. :roll:

Who really cares if the HD2900XT is faster at low resolutions with no AA/AF? The whole point in buying a high end card is to enable all the visual effects to get the best visual experience possible without any lag. Or do people now just buy high end cards to go 'Oh look! I get 200 FPS instead of 100 FPS now at 1024x768 with no AA/AF!'? :lol:

You're looking at something that performs worse than an 8800 GTS. It was released seven months later than the GTS. It uses as much power, if not more, than the 8800 Ultra.

bobby6k34

Distinguished
Jan 30, 2007

I like my BMW 8800 320 gets the same MPG as the BMW 8800 640 but its got a smaller fuel tank and it only costs $27,000

Phrozt

Distinguished
Jun 19, 2002
I used BMW and Mercedes because they were two high end companies like nVidia and ATI(AMD).

I dunno.. I thought the analogy made sense, but then again, I'm trying to present it to people who look at numbers and see whatever they want to, so I guess nothing would help quell their idiocy.

Soooo.... I'll just stick w/my statement that I've made several times already.

For the performance, the 2900xt should not be priced above $250 USD. It doesn't act like a high end card, so it shouldn't be priced as one. No one would buy a Ferrari that tops out at 65 MPH