Sign in with
Your question

Q6600

Last response: in Overclocking
June 20, 2007 9:07:12 PM

Do you need to buy different cpu fan for overclocking the cpu?or the one with came with is fine?I getting Q6600 soon.

More about : q6600

June 20, 2007 9:24:41 PM

Yes. If you plan on overclocking the Q6600 I woould water cool that sucker. With the four cores it will put out some heat. I plan on getting a Q6600 on July 22nd and put it in this setup I have now. Good luck to you.

Motherboard: EVGA T1
CPU: E6600 L646G494 @ 3.7Ghz. 1:1 Ratio Linked & Synced Voltage 1.44 Load Temp 45c
Idle Temp. 25c
SPP:1.45volts, MCP: 1.50volts
Memory: Mushkin PC2 8000 4-5-4-11, 2T Voltage 2.1
Swiftech Water Cooling H20-220
Video: One EVGA 8800GTS 320MB
Power Supply: Silverstone 750W
June 20, 2007 9:37:03 PM

Yes, to overclock the Q6600 you need a very good cooling setup. If aircooling, you'll need to have plenty of case ventilation as well as a high-end aircooler, such as the Thermalright Ultra-120 or Ultra-120 Extreme. You will get the best overclock out of the CPU if you couple it with a new P35 chipset based board, such as the ASUS P5K Deluxe. Finally, ensure you get a powerful enough PSU, >600W, as the power consumed by the chip raise exponetially as the clocks are increased. Good luck and feel free to post more questions as they come up.
Related resources
June 20, 2007 11:06:25 PM

If you really wanna stick with air, I'd go with the Thermalright Ultra 120 Extreme paired with a Scythe S-Flex 120mm fan.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Edit: The Thermalright Ultra 120 Extreme is considered one of the best air coolers on the market and the Scythe S-Flex fans are very good fans. I plan on building a new rig to take advantage of the price drop on the Q6600 and if I was going to air cool, that's the combo I would get.
June 21, 2007 12:06:45 AM

No, none of those will be sufficient for more than a small overclock.

Here's a good breakdown of overclocking air coolers:
http://www.anandtech.com/casecooling/showdoc.aspx?i=300...

Keep in mind that these tests were done using a dual-core extreme edition and your quad core will dissipate more heat and thus not overclock as high.

The S-Flex fans are good. SilenX fans are the absolute best, one such as this:
moves almost twice the amount of air at a considerably lower noise level compared to the S-Flex. If your budget is limited, there's several such as this: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
that do quite a good job at a much more reasonable price.
June 21, 2007 1:28:38 AM

Just out of curiosity,how much extra performance would you get by over clocking it(percentage wise). Would it still be a good processor without over clocking it?
June 21, 2007 2:26:33 AM

Yes, even without overclocking it's still a great CPU that will exceed almost any need today. Keep in mind that, at present, the number of programs that really utilize 4 cores is very small. However, developers are rushing to utilize multi-threaded techniques in games and other programs. This will have a huge impact on future performance of software on multi-cored CPU's. With the July price cuts making the Q6600 available for ~$250, this is a great investment for future use. In terms of today's performance, the Q6600 is of course almost completely identical to the E6600 in single threaded apps. Take a look, Tom's has some CPU charts that will compare these different processors in a variety of applications.
June 21, 2007 4:29:42 AM

Quote:
If you really wanna stick with air, I'd go with the Thermalright Ultra 120 Extreme paired with a Scythe S-Flex 120mm fan.

Edit: The Thermalright Ultra 120 Extreme is considered one of the best air coolers on the market and the Scythe S-Flex fans are very good fans. I plan on building a new rig to take advantage of the price drop on the Q6600 and if I was going to air cool, that's the combo I would get.
allright thx for input guys But I never installed headsink before.Thermalright Ultra-120 Extreme looks really big will it fit on antec p180 case with GIGABYTE GA-P35-DS3R LGA 775 Intel P35 ATX Intel Motherboard ? Is there video anywhere i can watch lol.
June 21, 2007 12:23:43 PM

There's no video, but the included instructions are easy to follow. It will fit. Because they're so heavy, you have to be very careful when moving the case around. I usually zip-tie the heatsinks in my builds. Use the little sticky zip-tie anchors and zip tie it up to the Powersupply or the roof of the case, then tighten the ziptie until some tension has been relieved. It doesn't exactly look badass, but it helps a lot.
June 21, 2007 1:26:04 PM

For SURE!!!! Make sure to tie down, or somehow support the heatsink/structure. I have seen some really bad things happen over time and you really don't want to be at the receiving end of another bill that could have been avoided.
June 21, 2007 11:24:35 PM

Does the heatsink comes with zip-tie anchors ?or i have to buy them seperate?
I'm kinda worry if i overclock the cpu will my power suplly able to handle it?
this is what i am building.
-----------------case
Antec Nine Hundred Black Steel ATX Mid Tower Computer Case - $139.99
------------------cpu
Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 Kentsfield 2.4GHz 2 x 4MB L2 Cache LGA 775 Processor - $266
------------------ram
G.SKILL 2GB (2 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory - $104.99
------------------video card
SAPPHIRE 100186L Radeon X1950XT 256MB 256-bit GDDR3 PCI Express x16 VIVO HDCP Video Card - $179.99
------------------hard drive
SAMSUNG SpinPoint T Series HD501LJ 500GB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s Hard Drive - $114.99
------------------dvd

------------------window
window xp
------------------------Mother board suggestion
GIGABYTE GA-P35C-DS3R LGA 775 Intel P35 ATX Intel Motherboard - $159.99
--------------------------Power supply suggestion
SeaSonic S12 Energy Plus SS-650HT ATX12V / EPS12V 650W Power Supply 100 - $159.99
June 21, 2007 11:34:26 PM

Just get the regular P35-DS3R, it'll save you some money. By the time DDR3 is competitive with DDR2 you'll probably need a new mobo anyway. Besides, the highest DDR3 the C can support is only 1333. That's about 25 bucks you can put toward your heatsink.

The case should come with some zip-tie anchors, if not, here:
http://www.performance-pcs.com/catalog/index.php?main_p...
June 22, 2007 4:09:08 AM

please make sure you have more than 205 mm width for the case. The U120 Extreme is extremely tall.... you'll have big problem if your case below 200mm... Thermalright support won't help you on casing choice that could fit U120X except CM stacker 830 and 832 will surely fit them but probably without side panel fan.
June 22, 2007 4:53:27 AM

Quote:
Just get the regular P35-DS3R, it'll save you some money. By the time DDR3 is competitive with DDR2 you'll probably need a new mobo anyway. Besides, the highest DDR3 the C can support is only 1333. That's about 25 bucks you can put toward your heatsink.

The case should come with some zip-tie anchors, if not, here:
http://www.performance-pcs.com/catalog/index.php?main_p...
ur right about ddr3. What about my power supply? I think i need bigger psu then 650 watt

http://www.extreme.outervision.com/PSUEngine

It says on that site Recommended PSU Wattage: 582 You think 650 is enough if overclock my cpu?
June 22, 2007 5:42:13 AM

Quote:
please make sure you have more than 205 mm width for the case. The U120 Extreme is extremely tall.... you'll have big problem if your case below 200mm... Thermalright support won't help you on casing choice that could fit U120X except CM stacker 830 and 832 will surely fit them but probably without side panel fan.
anteic 900 is big enough?
June 22, 2007 8:41:30 AM

Based on my previous thread, there's someone else who had successfully installed U120X in Antec P180B which has 20.5cm width. Antec nine hundred based on the spec should fit this HS with its 20.6cm

However, he said that the clearance is only 5mm which means it will be only 6mm for Antec nine hundred. If the case has any side fan, it's got to be removed.

For your own assurance, you should try it at the computer store if possible but it's looking just fit without side fan if any.
June 22, 2007 10:12:40 AM

650 should be ok, especially since it's a nice tier 1 model. If you really want piece of mind you can get a 700.
June 23, 2007 5:46:15 AM

Quote:
Based on my previous thread, there's someone else who had successfully installed U120X in Antec P180B which has 20.5cm width. Antec nine hundred based on the spec should fit this HS with its 20.6cm

However, he said that the clearance is only 5mm which means it will be only 6mm for Antec nine hundred. If the case has any side fan, it's got to be removed.

For your own assurance, you should try it at the computer store if possible but it's looking just fit without side fan if any.
Any picture would help :)  I dont my near by computer store has this case.
June 23, 2007 6:01:10 AM

Quote:

Any picture would help :)  I dont my near by computer store has this case.

As you know that I haven't installed my U120-X, so I won't know for 100% which case fit and which don't. Based on the spec of your alternative case, it should fit the Ultra 120 X, but you still have to removed the side fan.

Normally fan has 2.5cm width and with 21cm width, you will only have 1 cm clearance. It will depend on the structure of the installation as well.

It should fit, but the case that 100% tested and fit Ultra 120-X are:
- Antec P180B
- CM Stacker 832
The list will continue after I found somebody else with experience of installing Ultra 120 X. However, theoretically, any case with more than 20.5cm width should fit but no side fan can be installed. Having said that, you'll have to check the internal size of the case.

This is why I'm not too fond of Thermalright support. I tried to ask them what specs of case that should be safe for U120X... they basically tell me it's not their job to check that and won't give any input except inform me that CM Stacker 832 will be okay without any side fan.
June 23, 2007 6:03:12 AM

Just additional info...

I've tried to install U120 X in standard cheap casing with 21cm width and there's about 1 cm clearance.

There is no brand in the casing and it's being used at my office. But it standard mid-tower atx case.
June 23, 2007 11:07:30 PM

Quote:
Just additional info...

I've tried to install U120 X in standard cheap casing with 21cm width and there's about 1 cm clearance.

There is no brand in the casing and it's being used at my office. But it standard mid-tower atx case.
thx for the info phassat. Some one told me thermal ultra 120 extreme it puts to much strain on cpu
and is shitty for air circulation......

Zalman 9700 110mb should be enough? cause i wont be going higher then 3.0 for oc can zalman 9700 handle it?

Regarding the Thermalright Ultra-120, I mentioned earlier it isn't compatible with a side case fan due to fouling issues. Here are some pics I took a while ago with a PDA camera:

img149.imageshack.us/img149/4568/fanht3.jpg
img379.imageshack.us/img...1/fanlesshy9.jpg
img404.imageshack.us/img.../ultra120nw4.jpg
img149.imageshack.us/img...ultra120agc3.jpg

here the thread http://forums.whirlpool.net.au/forum-replies-archive.cf...
June 23, 2007 11:16:53 PM

Quote:
thx for the info phassat. Some one told me thermal ultra 120 extreme it puts to much strain on cpu

A lot of the heatsink tower type coolers are pretty heavy, I've never heard of one messing up the mobo or cpu from the weight though. However, I have heard of people using zip ties to lift some of the weight off the mobo by zipping it to the top of the case.
Quote:

I highly doubt this, it's one of the best cpu air coolers on the market and quite popular among enthusiasts that use air cooling. Also, of all the reviews I have read of it, not once was it mentioned that it causes bad air circulation.
June 23, 2007 11:37:43 PM

Quote:

A lot of the heatsink tower type coolers are pretty heavy, I've never heard of one messing up the mobo or cpu from the weight though. However, I have heard of people using zip ties to lift some of the weight off the mobo by zipping it to the top of the case.
Quote:

I highly doubt this, it's one of the best cpu air coolers on the market and quite popular among enthusiasts that use air cooling. Also, of all the reviews I have read of it, not once was it mentioned that it causes bad air circulation.yea thats what i said to him he keep saying thermal is horrible lol but anyway if i go with zalman 9700 is it going to be enough?
June 24, 2007 11:36:24 AM

I'd recommend an Ultra-120 Extreme for a quad core. Remember you'll be producing 2x the heat of a standard E6600 and you need to dissipate it particularly if you wanna o/c the thing.

I'd also highly recommend that you lap both the CPU and base of the HS; see the two stickies in this forum for my experiences doing it on my ultra-120 ex and IHS on the Q6600 (pics and temp results).
June 24, 2007 10:42:36 PM

Quote:
I'd recommend an Ultra-120 Extreme for a quad core. Remember you'll be producing 2x the heat of a standard E6600 and you need to dissipate it particularly if you wanna o/c the thing.

I'd also highly recommend that you lap both the CPU and base of the HS; see the two stickies in this forum for my experiences doing it on my ultra-120 ex and IHS on the Q6600 (pics and temp results).
true this is my first time built I dont want to lap if something i mess up lol. How about tuniq power heak sink it almost good as TR ULTRA 120.
June 25, 2007 7:35:09 AM

lapping is pretty easy dude, as long as you're careful you can't mess it up
June 25, 2007 2:10:26 PM

Judging by your future purchases you look like you want to do some gaming with this rig. I would suggest you build the thing 1st and run your favourite games on it before you decide to overclock any. You could buy the Ultra 120 Extreme for mild overclocking with the knowledge that it's gonna run cooler than the Intel HSF and have a go at overclocking when you need to. The Q6600 is a blinding chip if a little hot. Intel raised the thermal throttling threshold from 85C to 100C so they can take it. I believe game developers will get the hang of multi-threading in the not to distant future and mult-core CPUs will be able to flex their muscles more. The PS3 is use a multi-core chip so it's not just PCs that are benefiting.

I would be careful of most HSFs and check to see if anyone else has had installation problems as the capacitors around the CPU socket for your chosen MB seem close (open to offers here anyone). Gigabyte like to stick additional cooling on the back of the board for the CPU to, which makes the HSF back plate support more difficult to fit than it should.

Your chosen graphics card seems a little behind the rest of your rig. I take it your waiting for the next gen of DX10 cards to arrive before making that purchase. I got my SLI dual PCI-X board and an 8800GTS with the hope that Nvidia would eventually be doing physics on a graphics card and I could just get a new better one for my main card and use the 8800GTS for that. If not I'd bung it in one of my other machines.
June 27, 2007 1:49:22 AM

Quote:
Judging by your future purchases you look like you want to do some gaming with this rig. I would suggest you build the thing 1st and run your favourite games on it before you decide to overclock any. You could buy the Ultra 120 Extreme for mild overclocking with the knowledge that it's gonna run cooler than the Intel HSF and have a go at overclocking when you need to. The Q6600 is a blinding chip if a little hot. Intel raised the thermal throttling threshold from 85C to 100C so they can take it. I believe game developers will get the hang of multi-threading in the not to distant future and mult-core CPUs will be able to flex their muscles more. The PS3 is use a multi-core chip so it's not just PCs that are benefiting.

I would be careful of most HSFs and check to see if anyone else has had installation problems as the capacitors around the CPU socket for your chosen MB seem close (open to offers here anyone). Gigabyte like to stick additional cooling on the back of the board for the CPU to, which makes the HSF back plate support more difficult to fit than it should.

Your chosen graphics card seems a little behind the rest of your rig. I take it your waiting for the next gen of DX10 cards to arrive before making that purchase. I got my SLI dual PCI-X board and an 8800GTS with the hope that Nvidia would eventually be doing physics on a graphics card and I could just get a new better one for my main card and use the 8800GTS for that. If not I'd bung it in one of my other machines.

few people on this thread went to from 2.4 to 3.0 with zalman 9700 here the thread

http://bigbruin.com/forum/about12904-0-asc-0.html

I pretty sure zalman 9700 wont have any problem installing but not sure about tuniq power on my mother board.
June 27, 2007 11:28:16 AM

How about TEC coolers like monsoon II or Ultra chilltec? Will this be able to tolerate the heat coming from q6600??
June 27, 2007 9:09:52 PM

The Zalman CNPS9700 NT is not rated for quad-core, has anyone been using this cooler on a Q6600? If so, what are your idle and load temperatures looking like?
June 27, 2007 10:24:33 PM

I know a few people around here have been running them on the quads, I suggest if you don't many responses in this thread to that question that you start a new thread, they may not see the question here....
June 27, 2007 11:16:42 PM

Yes, a TEC such as the ones you've mentioned can handle the heat...to a point. However, they are outperformed by the Ultra 120 extreme, more expensive, and consume quite a bit of power. The Zalmans are lower-tier HSFs and simply can't compete with thermalright's products. You won't have a problem installing the Ultra 120, they fit fine.
June 27, 2007 11:39:53 PM

Quote:
The Zalmans are lower-tier HSFs and simply can't compete with thermalright's products. You won't have a problem installing the Ultra 120, they fit fine.

The Zalman 9700 is actually only outperformed by the Tuniq Tower and TR Ultra 120 Extreme by a few degrees from the few benchmarks I have seen. Obviously the Ultra 120 and Tuniq Tower are superior, but not to the point of making the 9700 a "lower-tier" HSF.
June 27, 2007 11:43:43 PM

No, the 9700 is upper tier, the 9500 is middle/lower tier. I misspoke. Too bad no top-down cooler can seem to compete with the tower, I always feel better knowing that spill air from the cooler is covering the motherboard as it was designed to.
June 28, 2007 1:26:24 AM

Quote:
Here's a good comparison of air coolers so there will be no future confusion:

http://www.anandtech.com/casecooling/showdoc.aspx?i=302...
Spikke makes some good points. Anandtech is a good site, but certainly not the last word, and too oft quoted and re-quoted within this thread. Here's another review of several HSF's with various comparison charts, including noise levels, and performance relative to different fan settings. Always nice to consult other resources IMO.

http://www.madshrimps.be/?action=getarticle&articID=578
June 28, 2007 1:41:35 AM

Quote:
Here's a good comparison of air coolers so there will be no future confusion:

http://www.anandtech.com/casecooling/showdoc.aspx?i=302...
Spikke makes some good points. Anandtech is a good site, but certainly not the last word, and too oft quoted and re-quoted within this thread. Here's another review of several HSF's with various comparison charts, including noise levels, and performance relative to different fan settings. Always nice to consult other resources IMO.

http://www.madshrimps.be/?action=getarticle&articID=578
Wow, the Zalman 9700 did really bad in their tests, I wonder why.
June 28, 2007 2:29:01 AM

No, I agree, Anand just has easier to read graphs IMO, the madshrimps ones kinda make my eyes hurt. The information is about the same between the two with the exception of the 9700, which could have been a fluke installation error on the part of MS, because it performs much better at a number of other sites.
June 28, 2007 5:32:57 AM

Quote:
The 9700 is a good cooler. Here's a link with a couple charts, its a review for the the TR Ultra 120 Extreme, but the chart has the 9700 on it, along with a number of other popular cpu coolers.
http://www.anandtech.com/casecooling/showdoc.aspx?i=294...
I think Tuniq Tower is best for me fits on antec nine hundred case perfect and i can even put a side fan, Do i need to purchase seperate fan for the tuniq tower or use stock fan will do fine?
June 28, 2007 6:40:30 AM

All I originally sugested was to be carefull when selecting a HSF on performance alone. Out of the various reviews I have read the 120 Ultra Extreme seems the best for air cooling. However fitting it to some boards, or getting it in your case, can be a problem. So check with others (here is a great source) and look at some reviews to see if it will be a problem for the MB you would like to use. If it is you have to choose between the board / HSF / case or prepare for a headache.

I can see where some people believe a CPU fan that blows down towards the motherboard helps cooling the board to. Isn't this just the hot air from the heatsink blowing over the other components and creating a very turbulent flow regieme inside the case. I believe it's better to have the wind tunnel effect that comes from having one of the upright coolers like the the tuniq, Zalman 9700 and the 120 blowing towards an exhaust and let the good throughput of air cool the motherboard (tidy them cables to). I remember reading that 1 fan exhausting high at the back of the PC is more effective than any fans blowing in.

Let me ask you this. What do you think offers the best overall cooling solution for graphics cards?

1). Chipset cooling that just blows the air around inside the case.
2). Chipset cooling that ducts the air outside the back of the case.

Have you ever felt the temperature of the exhausted air after a gaming session? You want that heat outside asap and cool air drawn in.
June 28, 2007 1:53:47 PM

Quote:
Have you ever felt the temperature of the exhausted air after a gaming session? You want that heat outside asap and cool air drawn in.
Agree. Which is why I also believe passive-cooled GPU's (fanless designs) are problematic to the overall internal temp of the case, as well. While gpu's vented to the outside, option 2, actually help the overall circulation of cool air through the case, rather than swirling hot air around inside the case. Good point.
June 28, 2007 1:57:47 PM

Quote:
No, I agree, Anand just has easier to read graphs IMO, the madshrimps ones kinda make my eyes hurt.
All graphs make my eyes hurt! Lesdyxic.
June 28, 2007 4:53:59 PM

While you bring up good points, many of the problems I see can be attributed simply to lack of airflow over VRM's and NB's. Too many people focus on ducting air to their GPU or CPU, or even worse, watercooling components and then completely neglecting airflow. So no, spill air from the HSF isn't the most efficient means of cooling mobo components, but yes, it works, and that's the way 95% of the boards out there were designed to be cooled.
June 28, 2007 5:40:42 PM

This is the Ultra 120 Extreme in my CM Stacker 2 832, a tight fit but it works.
June 28, 2007 5:47:05 PM

Quote:
This is the Ultra 120 Extreme in my CM Stacker 2 832, a tight fit but it works.

I picked up the Stacker 832 for 220, it was a steal and it is one of the only cases that fits the 120, and both the 8800GTX cards, and has the great air flow....

One of the best cases I have ever purchased. What brand of case fans are you running?
June 28, 2007 5:55:15 PM

The heatsink and rear fans are S-Flex and the rest are Cooler Master. The case comes with 2 fans but I'm not using either. They both have molex connectors and I wanted to use my motherboard headers. It's a great case with great air flow but because it's so open you have to work a little more to make sure it's quiet.
!