Compressed Folders: Which Versions of Windows Have It?

June 15, 2005 11:47:34 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics (More info?)

Hello.

I need to know all of the versions of Windows that have the Compressed
Folders feature, that treats .zip files as a folder. I know Windows
XP has it--which other versions have it as well, please? Thank you.

To reply privately,
please remove the number 5 from the return address.
Thank you! J. Danniel
Anonymous
June 15, 2005 5:53:39 PM

Jack Danniel wrote:

> Hello.
>
> I need to know all of the versions of Windows that have the Compressed
> Folders feature, that treats .zip files as a folder. I know Windows
> XP has it--which other versions have it as well, please? Thank you.

Windows Server 2003 is the only other one.

the 1328 page Scripting Guide:
June 15, 2005 5:53:40 PM

Torgeir Bakken (MVP) wrote:
> Jack Danniel wrote:
>
>> Hello.
>>
>> I need to know all of the versions of Windows that have the Compressed
>> Folders feature, that treats .zip files as a folder. I know Windows
>> XP has it--which other versions have it as well, please? Thank you.
>

> Windows Server 2003 is the only other one.

WindowsME has it too.

--
MCR
MAME(tm) - History In The Making

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics (More info?)

Windows ME has it; I used to run ME.

Does Windows 2000 have it?

What about the 64-bit version?

I need to know them all...EVERY version of Windows that has the
Compressed Folders .zip option. Thanks.

>Windows Server 2003 is the only other one.

To reply privately,
please remove the number 5 from the return address.
Thank you! J. Danniel
Anonymous
June 15, 2005 5:53:41 PM

MCR wrote:
> Torgeir Bakken (MVP) wrote:
>> Jack Danniel wrote:
>>
>>> Hello.
>>>
>>> I need to know all of the versions of Windows that have the
>>> Compressed Folders feature, that treats .zip files as a folder. I
>>> know Windows XP has it--which other versions have it as well,
>>> please? Thank you.
>>

>> Windows Server 2003 is the only other one.
>>

> WindowsME has it too.

Is that really an OS, or a just marketing tool to get people so pissed
off that they'd think XP was the Second Coming in comparison?

--
Peace!
Kurt

MCR wrote:

> Torgeir Bakken (MVP) wrote:
>
>> Jack Danniel wrote:
>>
>>> Hello.
>>>
>>> I need to know all of the versions of Windows that have the Compressed
>>> Folders feature, that treats .zip files as a folder. I know Windows
>>> XP has it--which other versions have it as well, please? Thank you.
>>

>> Windows Server 2003 is the only other one.
>
> WindowsME has it too.

Windows ME, what is that ;-)

Ok, thanks for the correction :-)

the 1328 page Scripting Guide:
June 15, 2005 7:14:21 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics (More info?)

"kurttrail" <dontemailme@anywhereintheknowuniverse.org> wrote
> MCR wrote:
>> Torgeir Bakken (MVP) wrote:

>>> Windows Server 2003 is the only other one.
>>>

>> WindowsME has it too.
>
> Is that really an OS, or a just marketing tool to get people so pissed off
> that they'd think XP was the Second Coming in comparison?
>
> --
> Peace!
> Kurt

I had no problems with Windows ME but I did have to defrag it a lot and, of
course, reboot from time-to-time.

Alias
Anonymous
June 15, 2005 7:38:36 PM

On Wed, 15 Jun 2005 07:47:34 -0400, Jack Danniel wrote:

> Hello.
>
> I need to know all of the versions of Windows that have the Compressed
> Folders feature, that treats .zip files as a folder. I know Windows
> XP has it--which other versions have it as well, please? Thank you.
>

> To reply privately,
> please remove the number 5 from the return address.
> Thank you! J. Danniel

In addition to the answers you've already received...

It was an add-on for Windows 98 SE. If I remember correctly it was part of
the "Plus! 98" package. It was shipped as part of the Windows ME operating
system and continued on into Windows XP. I think Windows 2000 did *not*
have this but I could be wrong. At that point in time Win9x/ME and
WinNT/2000 were still quite separate so am doubtful it was present.

Torgeir has confirmed it is in Windows 2003 Server.

Let's see... what does that leave?

It is a part of XP Tablet Edition and XP Media Center Edition. I can't
think of any reason why the 64-bit versions of XP would not have included
this tool. However I have not had access to such a system to confirm or
deny that it is a standard part of that operating system as well. Don't
know whether or not it's in the CE versions of Windows that run on palm
computers.

--
Sharon F
MS-MVP ~ Windows Shell/User

Jack Danniel wrote:

> Windows ME has it; I used to run ME.
>
> Does Windows 2000 have it?

No.

> What about the 64-bit version?

I don't know...

the 1328 page Scripting Guide:
June 16, 2005 2:11:39 AM

Torgeir Bakken (MVP) wrote:
> MCR wrote:
>
>> Torgeir Bakken (MVP) wrote:

>>> Windows Server 2003 is the only other one.
>>

>> WindowsME has it too.
>

> Windows ME, what is that ;-)
>
> Ok, thanks for the correction :-)

You're welcome!