E6400 temperature question

Gimpy04

Distinguished
Jun 21, 2007
I guess I'll start off with my system. Also keep in mind that ambient temperature is around 77F (+-) 4F. That's about 25C.

-Core 2 Duo E6400 @ 3.2GHz 1.4V (400FSB) Cooled by a Scythe Ninja Using AS5 (and AS5's directions for application)
-Gigabyte 965P-DS3 (Rev. 1.3) Bios F12
-G.Skill 2GB (2x1GB) DDR2 1066
-LIAN LI PC-7A plus II (Same as the PC-7B, only silver)

So, I've been using TAT, Core Temp 0.95 and Speedfan to monitor my temperatures. TAT and Core Temp both report the same temps for the two cores.

TEMPS
Idle: 47C, +-2C depending on ambient temp. (true idle, 0-1%)
Load: 76-80C (using TAT to load both cores)

This was quite horrifying at first, as I'm sure you could imagine, so I've been searching the Internet for an answer as to why I have such high temperatures. At first I thought it was my motherboard, as other things had started to go bad (Asus P5B-E). But the temps are the same with my new Gigabyte.

I read the sticky here about the C2D temps, and found it to be very enlightening and helpful. However, it seems to go along with how all these Core 2 Duo's have a max Tjunction of 85C. Core Temp 0.95 is reporting my max Tjunction at 100C. Now I've done a bit of reading, and if memory serves, some of the newer C2Ds' Tjunction thermal sensors weren't reporting temps correctly at lower temperatures, so the Tjunction was (artificially?) raised to correct this. My friend has a couple E6300's that he's got OC'd to around 3.4ish and Core Temp 0.95 reports the Tjunction max as 85C. Comparing my temps to his, mine appear 15c higher all across the board. I took this as good news that perhaps my CPU was just reporting everything 15C higher.

So, my ultimate question here is this: Are my temperatures actually okay as they seem to be?

-Fake Edit- I also originally had an E6300 with the same deal. Max Tjunction was 100C and was consistently 15C more than my friends'.