Sign in with
Your question

Redirect Ctrl-Alt-Del to Task manager without Welcome Screen?

Last response: in Windows XP
October 21, 2009 7:10:07 PM

I have a question about the Ctrl-Alt-Del combo on Windows XP Pro.

I am attempting to get the task manager to open when the user hits ctrl-alt-del instead of the normal "Security Options" window (with the 'lock computer' options etc). The problem I see is that the only way to do this appears to be by enabling the Welcome Screen.

Does anyone know how to get the Ctrl-Alt-Del to open task manager no matter what? I would even be happy completely disabling the ability to hit ctrl-alt-del.

The reason I am doing this is because I have some XP machines running some custom vendor software. This software will crash if the screen locks or the "Security Options" window is launched (Absurd, but apparently this is a bug in the software they can't fix...). There is no hope for the vendor to fix the bug, so I need to find a way to prevent the crash. Sometimes the tool will run for 300-400 hours, so if someone accidentally hits ctrl-alt-del it could possibly ruin hundreds of hours of tests.

Has anyone ever done this?

thanks!
October 21, 2009 8:49:57 PM

I may have the answer,

you can disable Ctrl Alt Delete by visiting the page linked below and downloading a script to copy over to the XP machines and running. It is a simple registry tweak.

Line 96 left hand side Disable Control/Alt/Delete

http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/xp_tweaks.htm

Script details:

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon]
"DisableCAD"=dword:00000001

Now instead of using Ctrl Alt Delete, see if Ctrl Shift Esc is a viable alternative to opening task manager.
m
l
!