Disabled Startup Items

In Win9x there used to be a hidden folder on the start menu called Disabled
Startup Items. That does not seem to be the case in XP. I see no such folder
on the start menu for All Users or any of the other users. Does XP store
this in a different location?
11 answers Last reply
More about disabled startup items

    ForestSpirit wrote:
    > In Win9x there used to be a hidden folder on the start menu called
    > Disabled Startup Items. That does not seem to be the case in XP. I
    > see no such folder on the start menu for All Users or any of the
    > other users. Does XP store this in a different location?

    open run,>type in msconfig hit ok>click the startup tab,uncheck what you
    don't want.

    --
    Mike Pawlak

    Disabled items from msconfig are in >>>

    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Shared Tools\MSConfig\startupfolder
    and
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Shared Tools\MSConfig\startupreg
    -----

    These keys are also disabled items. Notice the -

    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\RunServices-
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\RunServicesOnce
    -
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\RunOnce-
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\RunOnce\Setup-
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\RunOnceEx-
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run-
    HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run-
    HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\RunOnce-

    --
    Hope this helps. Let us know.

    Wes
    MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

    In news:ux0e2jacFHA.2420@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl,
    ForestSpirit <seamaid24-graphics@yahoo.com> hunted and pecked:
    > In Win9x there used to be a hidden folder on the start menu called
    > Disabled Startup Items. That does not seem to be the case in XP. I see no
    > such folder on the start menu for All Users or any of the other users.
    > Does XP store this in a different location?

    Hello, I have "disable short cuts" does the same as "disable startup items".
    location: c::\documents and settings\all users\start menu\programs-"disable
    short cuts". There is a small free utility called "WinPatrol'
    http://www.winpatrol.com
    It allows the stopping of startup items plus other functions.
    Take Care.
    beamish.

    "ForestSpirit" wrote:

    > In Win9x there used to be a hidden folder on the start menu called Disabled
    > Startup Items. That does not seem to be the case in XP. I see no such folder
    > on the start menu for All Users or any of the other users. Does XP store
    > this in a different location?

    pctspk.exe

    This comes back if you delete it (prefetch). It has something to do with
    voice features of my PCTel modem. I guess this really can't be disabled the
    usual way. How do I disable it without losing functionality in the modem?
    There is a blurb about it in the Ultimate Troubleshooter list at
    answersthatwork.com.

    "beamish" <beamish@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > Hello, I have "disable short cuts" does the same as "disable startup
    > items".
    > location: c::\documents and settings\all users\start
    > menu\programs-"disable
    > short cuts". There is a small free utility called "WinPatrol'
    > http://www.winpatrol.com
    > It allows the stopping of startup items plus other functions.
    > Take Care.
    > beamish.
    >

    > "ForestSpirit" wrote:
    >
    >> In Win9x there used to be a hidden folder on the start menu called
    >> Disabled
    >> Startup Items. That does not seem to be the case in XP. I see no such
    >> folder
    >> on the start menu for All Users or any of the other users. Does XP store
    >> this in a different location?

    You can disable startup items from the Microsoft configuration utility,
    msconfig. Click the Start button then Run. In the run dialogue box type
    'msconfig' (without the quotes) Click the startup tab to see what
    applications start when your pc boots.
    You can also disable items directly from the registry but, unless you know
    what you are doing, you can cause more problems than you actually solve.

    --
    John Barnett MVP
    Associate Expert

    "ForestSpirit" <seamaid24-graphics@yahoo.com> wrote in message
    > In Win9x there used to be a hidden folder on the start menu called
    > Disabled Startup Items. That does not seem to be the case in XP. I see no
    > such folder on the start menu for All Users or any of the other users.
    > Does XP store this in a different location?

    Some programs will reinstall the Run entry in the registry after you delete
    it. Is there any way to keep this from happening?

    Clark

    "Clark" <who@whoknows.com> wrote:

    >Some programs will reinstall the Run entry in the registry after you delete
    >it. Is there any way to keep this from happening?

    Reconfigure the application program concerned. Usually they have an
    Options or Tools menu that includes items relating to the computer
    startup.

    You could give us the name(s) of the offending application(s) and
    someone will probably know exactly how to stop them from replacing the
    startup items. Or you can check out the items concerned at
    http://www.pacs-portal.co.uk/startup_content.php which often has
    instructions or links to instructions on disabling a startup item.

    Good luck

    Ron Martell Duncan B.C. Canada
    --
    Microsoft MVP
    On-Line Help Computer Service

    http://aumha.org/alex.htm

    This is a well know and used program. I have just deleted the Registry key
    again and will wait to see if it returns.

    Clark

    > "Clark" <who@whoknows.com> wrote:
    >
    >>Some programs will reinstall the Run entry in the registry after you
    >>delete
    >>it. Is there any way to keep this from happening?
    >>

    > Reconfigure the application program concerned. Usually they have an
    > Options or Tools menu that includes items relating to the computer
    > startup.
    >
    > You could give us the name(s) of the offending application(s) and
    > someone will probably know exactly how to stop them from replacing the
    > startup items. Or you can check out the items concerned at
    > http://www.pacs-portal.co.uk/startup_content.php which often has
    > instructions or links to instructions on disabling a startup item.
    >
    > Good luck
    >

    > Ron Martell Duncan B.C. Canada
    > --
    > Microsoft MVP
    > On-Line Help Computer Service
    > http://onlinehelp.bc.ca

    > http://aumha.org/alex.htm

    A secret, huh?

    --
    Hope this helps. Let us know.

    Wes
    MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

    In news:0V0se.1584$Nz2.1454@newssvr11.news.prodigy.com,
    Clark <who@whoknows.com> hunted and pecked:

    > A secret, huh?
    >
    > --
    > Hope this helps. Let us know.
    >
    > Wes
    > MS-MVP Windows Shell/User
    >
    > In news:0V0se.1584$Nz2.1454@newssvr11.news.prodigy.com,
    > Clark <who@whoknows.com> hunted and pecked:
    > > This is a well know and used program. I have just deleted the Registry
    > > key again and will wait to see if it returns.
    > >
    > > Clark
    > >
    > > "Ron Martell" <ron.martell@gmail.com> wrote in message

    > >> Reconfigure the application program concerned. Usually they have an
    > >> Options or Tools menu that includes items relating to the computer
    > >> startup.
    > >>
    > >> You could give us the name(s) of the offending application(s) and
    > >> someone will probably know exactly how to stop them from replacing the
    > >> startup items. Or you can check out the items concerned at
    > >> http://www.pacs-portal.co.uk/startup_content.php which often has
    > >> instructions or links to instructions on disabling a startup item.
    > >>
    > >> Good luck
    > >>

    > >> Ron Martell Duncan B.C. Canada
    > >> --
    > >> Microsoft MVP
    > >> On-Line Help Computer Service
    > >> http://onlinehelp.bc.ca
    > >>
    > >> In memory of a dear friend Alex Nichol MVP
    > >> http://aumha.org/alex.htm

    Well, I have checked and it has not come back. This may be a case of the
    program updating on the net and "reinstalling" rather than rewriting the
    registry.

    Clark

    "Clark" <who@whoknows.com> wrote in message
    > This is a well know and used program. I have just deleted the Registry
    > key again and will wait to see if it returns.
    >
    > Clark
    >
    > "Ron Martell" <ron.martell@gmail.com> wrote in message
    >> "Clark" <who@whoknows.com> wrote:
    >>
    >>>Some programs will reinstall the Run entry in the registry after you
    >>>delete
    >>>it. Is there any way to keep this from happening?
    >>>

    >> Reconfigure the application program concerned. Usually they have an
    >> Options or Tools menu that includes items relating to the computer
    >> startup.
    >>
    >> You could give us the name(s) of the offending application(s) and
    >> someone will probably know exactly how to stop them from replacing the
    >> startup items. Or you can check out the items concerned at
    >> http://www.pacs-portal.co.uk/startup_content.php which often has
    >> instructions or links to instructions on disabling a startup item.
    >>
    >> Good luck
    >>

    >> Ron Martell Duncan B.C. Canada
    >> --
    >> Microsoft MVP
    >> On-Line Help Computer Service
    >> http://onlinehelp.bc.ca
    >>
    >> In memory of a dear friend Alex Nichol MVP
    >> http://aumha.org/alex.htm

Start Menu Microsoft Windows XP