Sign in with
Your question

Wanting to clean install windows xp on dell xps 720

Last response: in Windows XP
October 21, 2009 11:40:40 PM

I want to reinstall xp on my machine. I am wondering how to do this do I boot from the xp disc? Then when I have to make a partition what are some of your suggestions on how much I should use i have a 500gb hard drive. I also have windows vista 32 bit and 64 bit. I am going to install windows 7 after this. I am wondering if I should install windows vista then upgrade to windows 7 or just upgrade to windows 7 from xp. I am also wondering can i just install 64 bit windows on top of windows xp or do i need to do 32 bit then upgrade to 64 bit. I would really appreciate any help on these matters.
a b $ Windows 7
October 21, 2009 11:51:22 PM

Change the boot order in the BIOS to boot off the OS disc. Press any key when you see the prompt.

I would allocate the whole drive unless you want multiple partitions for something. Some like to seperate the system files and program files.

If you install XP, you have to do a format and clean install to 'upgrade' to windows 7. You can do an in place upgrade from Vista to windows 7.
October 22, 2009 12:00:33 AM

So would you suggest going xp - vista 32bit or 64 bit - then windows 7 32 bit or 64 bit. I was just thinking going from xp to 7 rather than xp/vista/7 I would have less junk files and old operating system files. I do know how to go from xp to windows 7 so thats not a problem. Also can you go straight to 64 bit vista from xp or do you need to do 32 bit first and same question for windows 7 do you have to go 32 bit then 64 bit. And if I went the way of xp - vista 32bit could I just do a upgrade to windows 7 64 bit or do I need to do vista 64 bit first.
Related resources
a b $ Windows 7
October 22, 2009 12:18:50 AM

You can't do an in place upgrade from a 32 bit OS to 64 bit. It requires a clean install.

You don't have to install a previous version of windows to install windows7. I assume you're thinking of getting an upgrade version of windows 7, but you can get a full OEM home version for ~$100 or Pro for ~$140. Just thought I'd throw that out there.

If you go the upgrade route, I would install xp and then upgrade to windows7. You aren't going to have any data to lose (assuming you're doing this right away). Windows7 requires a clean install for the 'upgrade' when upgrading from XP, so you won't have residue files from the previous OS.
October 22, 2009 12:50:51 AM

I am just wondering if you would suggest installing windows xp then vista not sure if I have to upgrade to 32 bit first then 64, can I just go windows xp - windows vista 64bit - windows 7 64 bit or do I have to go windows xp - vista 32 bit - vista 64 bit - windows 7 64 bit? Just wondering if you think it would be better going xp/vista/7 just upgrading or going xp to 7. Thanks for all the help so far.
a b $ Windows 7
October 22, 2009 1:17:55 AM

You don't have to do vista in the middle. You can go from XP 32 to windows 7 64 bit. The 'upgrade' from xp to windows 7 will format the hard drive before installation.

You don't have to go that route though. Since you already have the other OS versions, you can start with vista64 initially and then do an in place upgrade to windows 7.
October 22, 2009 1:31:44 AM

Thanks alot, just wondering what you would do if you would just go xp to windows 7 64 bit or xp to vista 32 bit to 64 bit then upgrade to windows 7 64 bit. I think the xp/vista/windows 7 would be an easier route since its just upgrading OS to OS. Just wondering what you would choose and wondering if going the xp/vista 32bit/64bit/windows 7 64bit if there would be more junk files then just going from xp to windows 7 64bit. i really appreciate the help.

you said,
You don't have to go that route though. Since you already have the other OS versions, you can start with vista64 initially and then do an in place upgrade to windows 7.

I only have full version xp, my windows vista version is a upgrade version not full version so I couldnt just start with vista then go to windows 7.
a b $ Windows 7
October 22, 2009 2:09:56 AM

I see. In that case, I would just go from xp to windows7 and skip vista all together.
a b $ Windows 7
October 23, 2009 7:43:36 PM

Aford10,

You will not need to format to "clean" install / upgrade Windows XP to Windows 7. You will need to have Windows XP installed if you are using an Upgrade Windows 7 product key. Also, please note that when migrating from Windows XP to Windows 7 you will not have an "in place upgrade" option. You will however have the option to select "custom" install when prompted. The Windows 7 install process will then copy all of your data in "My Documents" over to a Windows.old folder within Windows 7 itself. All applications and documents stored in other locations will have to be reinstalled / transferred manually.

For additional assistance with the migration of Windows XP to Windows 7, please go here: http://tinyurl.com/mhbep4

Jessica
Microsoft Windows Client Team
a b $ Windows 7
October 23, 2009 7:48:30 PM

JessicaD said:
Aford10,

You will not need to format to "clean" install / upgrade Windows XP to Windows 7. You will need to have Windows XP installed if you are using an Upgrade Windows 7 product key. Also, please note that when migrating from Windows XP to Windows 7 you will not have an "in place upgrade" option. You will however have the option to select "custom" install when prompted. The Windows 7 install process will then copy all of your data in "My Documents" over to a Windows.old folder within Windows 7 itself. All applications and documents stored in other locations will have to be reinstalled / transferred manually.

For additional assistance with the migration of Windows XP to Windows 7, please go here: http://tinyurl.com/mhbep4

Jessica
Microsoft Windows Client Team

I believe that's exactly what I said above. Thanks tho. The clean install was referencing that the 'upgrade' process will wipe out the hard drive. I wasn't saying that the OP would have to format before the install.
!