Frozen in-game

Sometimes in Q3 I'll just freeze up - I can look around, but it won't
respond to mouse-clicks or key presses in-game. I can still bring up the Esc
menu and the console but can't do anything in the game - and I'm not lagged
out, since this is offline play.

Athlon XP 2100+
512MB RAM
Radeon 9200SE
Creative SB Live
XP Pro
Q3 1.32
Latest (AFAIK) drivers for everything.

Any ideas? It's annoying, I have to quit the game and start over.

There is no spoon.

EvilBill - http://evilbill.50megs.com/index.html
My Quake2 FTP site: ftp://65.30.181.223/quake2/EvilBill/
Jack of Hearts of the Eeeevil Trek Cabal (TINC)

"EvilBill" <quake2livesGETLOSTSPAMMERS@gmail.com> wrote in message
> Sometimes in Q3 I'll just freeze up - I can look around, but it won't
> respond to mouse-clicks or key presses in-game. I can still bring up the
> Esc menu and the console but can't do anything in the game - and I'm not
> lagged out, since this is offline play.

Could be mouse drivers? The latest drivers for my newfangled MS mouse caused
trouble for Quake - it's one of the ones that lets you scroll sideways by
tilting the wheel left and right, but accidentally doing it mid-game seemed
to confuse the drivers and no further mouse input found its way to Quake
until I restarted the game. IIRC clicking the scroll wheel while another
button was down could confuse Quake too, it would lose track of the
button_ups and sit waiting for you to let go.

Rolling back to earlier drivers sorted it out for me...

Just a thought

"h" <h@NOSPAMhowiem.com> wrote in message
> "EvilBill" <quake2livesGETLOSTSPAMMERS@gmail.com> wrote in message
> > Sometimes in Q3 I'll just freeze up - I can look around, but it won't
> > respond to mouse-clicks or key presses in-game. I can still bring up the
> > Esc menu and the console but can't do anything in the game - and I'm not
> > lagged out, since this is offline play.
>
> Could be mouse drivers? The latest drivers for my newfangled MS mouse
caused
> trouble for Quake - it's one of the ones that lets you scroll sideways by
> tilting the wheel left and right, but accidentally doing it mid-game
seemed
> to confuse the drivers and no further mouse input found its way to Quake
> until I restarted the game. IIRC clicking the scroll wheel while another
> button was down could confuse Quake too, it would lose track of the
> button_ups and sit waiting for you to let go.
>
> Rolling back to earlier drivers sorted it out for me...
>
> Just a thought

Makes sense - if you can ESC out, means the game engine is still running.
My Logitech mouse drivers also caused confusion with the wheel/third button.
Allowing the OS to apply standard MS drivers for a wheel mouse instead of
using the Logitech ones solved it for me too.

Miss Understanding <javaz3@yahoo.com> typed as if devouring a plate of
spoo:
> "h" <h@NOSPAMhowiem.com> wrote in message
>> "EvilBill" <quake2livesGETLOSTSPAMMERS@gmail.com> wrote in message
>>> Sometimes in Q3 I'll just freeze up - I can look around, but it
>>> won't respond to mouse-clicks or key presses in-game. I can still
>>> bring up the Esc menu and the console but can't do anything in the
>>> game - and I'm not lagged out, since this is offline play.
>>
>> Could be mouse drivers? The latest drivers for my newfangled MS
>> mouse caused trouble for Quake - it's one of the ones that lets you
>> scroll sideways by tilting the wheel left and right, but
>> accidentally doing it mid-game seemed to confuse the drivers and no
>> further mouse input found its way to Quake until I restarted the
>> game. IIRC clicking the scroll wheel while another button was down
>> could confuse Quake too, it would lose track of the button_ups and
>> sit waiting for you to let go.
>>
>> Rolling back to earlier drivers sorted it out for me...
>>
>> Just a thought

> Makes sense - if you can ESC out, means the game engine is still
> running. My Logitech mouse drivers also caused confusion with the
> wheel/third button. Allowing the OS to apply standard MS drivers for
> a wheel mouse instead of using the Logitech ones solved it for me
> too.

None of the keys except ESC and the console key work either.
I suppose it could be the drivers, but AFAIK I'm still using the ones that
come with XP.

Oh, it's an MS Optical Wheelmouse BTW.

There is no spoon.

EvilBill - http://evilbill.50megs.com/index.html
My Quake2 FTP site: ftp://65.30.181.223/quake2/EvilBill/
Jack of Hearts of the Eeeevil Trek Cabal (TINC)

On Mon, 07 Mar 2005 12:10:14 GMT, "EvilBill"
<quake2livesGETLOSTSPAMMERS@gmail.com> :

>Miss Understanding <javaz3@yahoo.com> typed as if devouring a plate of
>spoo:
>> "h" <h@NOSPAMhowiem.com> wrote in message
>>> "EvilBill" <quake2livesGETLOSTSPAMMERS@gmail.com> wrote in message
>>>
>>> Could be mouse drivers? The latest drivers for my newfangled MS
>>> mouse caused trouble for Quake - it's one of the ones that lets you
>>> scroll sideways by tilting the wheel left and right, but
>>> accidentally doing it mid-game seemed to confuse the drivers and no
>>> further mouse input found its way to Quake until I restarted the
>>> game. IIRC clicking the scroll wheel while another button was down
>>> could confuse Quake too, it would lose track of the button_ups and
>>> sit waiting for you to let go.
>>>
>>> Rolling back to earlier drivers sorted it out for me...
>>>
>>> Just a thought

>> Makes sense - if you can ESC out, means the game engine is still
>> running. My Logitech mouse drivers also caused confusion with the
>> wheel/third button. Allowing the OS to apply standard MS drivers for
>> a wheel mouse instead of using the Logitech ones solved it for me
>> too.

>None of the keys except ESC and the console key work either.
>I suppose it could be the drivers, but AFAIK I'm still using the ones that
>come with XP.
>
>Oh, it's an MS Optical Wheelmouse BTW.
>
>--

Sounds like a connection problem to me.

What does your lagometer look like? Are you using a personal firewall?

chicken <no@no.net> typed as if devouring a plate of spoo:

> Sounds like a connection problem to me.
>
> What does your lagometer look like? Are you using a personal firewall?

It's in offline games - an extra piece to add to the puzzle, it happens when
I start recording a demo and doing an in_restart doesn't help (nor does
dying or going to spectator mode).
The screenshot button works too, though.

On the off-chance that it is some Net connection oddity, I'm using the
latest ZoneAlarm and Q3's got permissions; PunkBuster's up to date; and it's
on an ADSL connection, 768K down, 300K up.