Wireless setup problems

el_brio

Distinguished
Jan 14, 2008
Bought a new box so I moved my old one to living room to use for web browsing.

In my office in the next room I have a Linksys wireless router. New computer in office is plugged into router. Router has 128bit WEP enabled. I am unsure of other settings (at work and can't check).

I bought a new CHEAPO wireless card. Plugged it into my old box. Booted. Loaded included drivers.

I can see the router in network config. I have it set up as preferred. I have the WEP key entered into setup.

2 problems:
Signal strength is "very low". I don't understand why. Interference from TV maybe?

It says network is connected but when I try to open IE or Firefox I can't get to internet.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Yes I know the card is generic but it should still work shouldn't it?

bravo29

Distinguished
Dec 19, 2007
Try a different channel on the router. Go through each channel and make sure the card is set to that channel or set to auto. Check if its a B or G wireless and make sure the card is the same (usually set to auto). Either something is interfering with that wireless channel or the card is bad. You cal also try to download the cards latest drivers. Dlink had an issue like this and you couldnt use the drivers that came with it you had to get the downloaded ones.

TRENDING THREADS