Can I configure any program to reside in the XP system tray, or does it
need to be written to do so?

For example, XP comes with a simple calculator applet which is not
designed for the system tray. Can that be made to reside in the system
tray anyhow?

Thanks...

Bill

Hi.
Good question. Programs have to be written to display in the system tray..
Some have options that allow this to be turned on/off but unless a program is
written to do that, it won't appear there. I wonder if there are any
programs that act as a go between.. i.e. monitor another program and appear
in the systray as that program? Would be interesting. Not sure how userful
it would be tho as a running program is already on the task bar.

"Bill Martin -- (Remove NOSPAM from addre" wrote:

> Can I configure any program to reside in the XP system tray, or does it
> need to be written to do so?
>
> For example, XP comes with a simple calculator applet which is not
> designed for the system tray. Can that be made to reside in the system
> tray anyhow?
>
> Thanks...
>
> Bill

brianb

Distinguished
Aug 29, 2004

The program needs to be pre-programmed for the system tray functionality.
However, it looks as though there are a number of third party applications
that allow you to "add" programs to the system tray. I have not used any
(some are free, some are not), but if you google "calculator in system tray"
or something similar, you can find some of these programs.

"Bill Martin -- (Remove NOSPAM from addre" wrote:

> Can I configure any program to reside in the XP system tray, or does it
> need to be written to do so?
>
> For example, XP comes with a simple calculator applet which is not
> designed for the system tray. Can that be made to reside in the system
> tray anyhow?
>
> Thanks...
>
> Bill

Hi Bill - a free third party program called TrayMin which used to be
available from PC Mag which will do this. You can still get it free here:
http://pacon.free.fr/traymin.zip Works fine in Win2k/XP.

--
Regards, Jim Byrd, MS-MVP
My, Blog Defending Your Machine, here:

wrote in news:eTEWTMdcFHA.2756@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl:

> Can I configure any program to reside in the XP system tray, or does it
> need to be written to do so?
>
> For example, XP comes with a simple calculator applet which is not
> designed for the system tray. Can that be made to reside in the system
> tray anyhow?

The only way to do this is if the application has this option or to use a
3rd party program such as TrayIt <http://www.teamcti.com/trayit/trayit.htm>

<wylie@earthNOSPAMlink.net> typed:

> Can I configure any program to reside in the XP system tray, or
> does
> it need to be written to do so?
>
> For example, XP comes with a simple calculator applet which is
> not
> designed for the system tray. Can that be made to reside in
> the
> system tray anyhow?

Essentiallthe application has to be written that way to allow it
to minimize to the tray. However, there are several third-party
programs that can add this functionality to programs without it.
I've never used any of them, so I won't recommend one, but if
nobody else does, googling will turn up several candidates.

Please reply to the newsgroup

On Wed, 15 Jun 2005 13:53:02 -0400, Bill Martin -- (Remove NOSPAM from
address) wrote:

> Can I configure any program to reside in the XP system tray, or does it
> need to be written to do so?
>
> For example, XP comes with a simple calculator applet which is not
> designed for the system tray. Can that be made to reside in the system
> tray anyhow?
>
> Thanks...
>
> Bill

There are tray manager programs available that will let you add programs of
your choice to the tray. I've never tried any so cannot vouch for their
effectiveness.

Alternative: If you have a multimedia keyboard, one of the extra buttons is
usually assigned to Calculator. That button and the volume controls are the
ones I consistently use.

--
Sharon F
MS-MVP ~ Windows Shell/User

Bill Martin -- (Remove NOSPAM from address) wrote:
> Can I configure any program to reside in the XP system tray,
> or does it need to be written to do so?
>
> For example, XP comes with a simple calculator applet which
> is not designed for the system tray. Can that be made to
> reside in the system tray anyhow?
>
> Thanks...
>
> Bill

Place a shortcut to Calculator in Quick Launch:
Right click an open area of the Taskbar.
Click on "Lock the Taskbar" if there's a check mark next to it.
Right click the Taskbar again.
In the drop down menu select Toolbars -> Quick Launch.
On your Start Menu, right click Calculator and select "Create
Shortcut".
Drag the new shortcut from the desktop to the Quick Launch
area.
You can move the double bar left or right to display as many or
as few shortcuts as you want.
Right click the Taskbar and select "Lock Taskbar".

Good luck

Nepatsfan

brianb

Distinguished
Aug 29, 2004

I guess I assumed the system tray and not quick launch. If he's looking to
start from quick launch, Nepatsfan's go the answer.

"Nepatsfan" wrote:

> Bill Martin -- (Remove NOSPAM from address) wrote:
> > Can I configure any program to reside in the XP system tray,
> > or does it need to be written to do so?
> >
> > For example, XP comes with a simple calculator applet which
> > is not designed for the system tray. Can that be made to
> > reside in the system tray anyhow?
> >
> > Thanks...
> >
> > Bill
>
> Place a shortcut to Calculator in Quick Launch:
> Right click an open area of the Taskbar.
> Click on "Lock the Taskbar" if there's a check mark next to it.
> Right click the Taskbar again.
> In the drop down menu select Toolbars -> Quick Launch.
> On your Start Menu, right click Calculator and select "Create
> Shortcut".
> Drag the new shortcut from the desktop to the Quick Launch
> area.
> You can move the double bar left or right to display as many or
> as few shortcuts as you want.
> Right click the Taskbar and select "Lock Taskbar".
>
> Good luck
>
> Nepatsfan

Thanks to one and all for your suggestions. I'll have to do some
digging through the web to evaluate some of the suggested solutions.

Thanks...I appreciate it.

Bill

brianb wrote:
> I guess I assumed the system tray and not quick launch. If
> he's looking to start from quick launch, Nepatsfan's go the
> answer.

Brian,

I think you made the correct assumption. Bill wants to have
calculator show up in the notification area (XP's name for
"system tray"). My suggestion was to simply point out an option
that doesn't involve installing third party programs. It puts a
shortcut in a handy location and wouldn't result in the program
running all the time.

Nepatsfan

Nepatsfan wrote:
> brianb wrote:
>
>>I guess I assumed the system tray and not quick launch. If
>>he's looking to start from quick launch, Nepatsfan's go the
>>answer.
>

> Brian,
>
> I think you made the correct assumption. Bill wants to have
> calculator show up in the notification area (XP's name for
> "system tray"). My suggestion was to simply point out an option
> that doesn't involve installing third party programs. It puts a
> shortcut in a handy location and wouldn't result in the program
> running all the time.
>
> Nepatsfan

For what it's worth, I did indeed mean "system tray". However your
suggestion has got me thinking in a different direction for a different
project which is always a good thing.

Thanks...

Bill