Sign in with
Your question
Closed

Event log service will not start - error 126

Last response: in Windows XP
October 22, 2009 12:27:14 PM

Hi All,
I'm having a problem with my wireless networking on XP which i've narrowed down to a probable specific issue with something called the "event Log Service". From browsing forums I think fixing this issue will fix my problem - either way it's an error message that sounds not nice!

Under Computer Management - Services - The Event Log is set to Automatic, but is not running. I try to start it, it gives the following error:
"Could not start the Event Log Service on Local Computer. Error 126: The specified module cannot be found". A similar error occurs with something called "Task Scheduler" in the same place - except this time the second part is "Error 1717: The interface is unknown".

Does anyone have any ideas re how to reinstall these components or otherwise fix this computer? I do not want to have to reinstall windows etc. Have tried finding an existing solution online but nothing works.
October 24, 2009 10:41:43 AM

Sorry to be a pain but still hunting down a solution can anyone please help??????
October 25, 2009 2:06:23 AM

Hi All,
Wasn't getting any help from here unfortunately, but kept searching online and found an answer that worked and was quite simple. Thought i'd post it here incase anyone else with a similar problem comes across this thread.

Basically as it turns out the file eventlog.dll had been quarantined by my virus scanner - not sure why but it had.

I downloaded a new copy from here:
http://www.driverskit.com/dll/eventlog.dll/769.html

Then copied it into the C:\windows\system32\ folder. Someone on a site I found mentioned it would need to be "registered" but in my case I didn't need it.

I then went into the Computer Management console (right click on My Computer, select Manage, Services & Applications, then Services. Found Event Service, right clicked and selected Start. It started this time. I then sorted by the Startup Type filed and right clicked to start every one that said it was Automatic but wasn't running. All now started except two (mostly unrelated issue i believe).

Restarted the computer, and volia, all working again including my wireless networking!
Matt
Related resources
October 30, 2009 5:44:37 AM

Thanks for this.

This solved a problem for me where I couldn't use IIS, because the World Wide Web Publishing service wouldn't start, because the Event Log wasn't running.

lucyconnuk
October 31, 2009 8:00:24 PM

Thanks Matt,
This was the exact solution abd file I was missing - as you mentioned, deleted by an antivirus program.

Very much appreciated!

Creed

mctoshiba said:
Hi All,
Wasn't getting any help from here unfortunately, but kept searching online and found an answer that worked and was quite simple. Thought i'd post it here incase anyone else with a similar problem comes across this thread.

Basically as it turns out the file eventlog.dll had been quarantined by my virus scanner - not sure why but it had.

I downloaded a new copy from here:
http://www.driverskit.com/dll/eventlog.dll/769.html

Then copied it into the C:\windows\system32\ folder. Someone on a site I found mentioned it would need to be "registered" but in my case I didn't need it.

I then went into the Computer Management console (right click on My Computer, select Manage, Services & Applications, then Services. Found Event Service, right clicked and selected Start. It started this time. I then sorted by the Startup Type filed and right clicked to start every one that said it was Automatic but wasn't running. All now started except two (mostly unrelated issue i believe).

Restarted the computer, and volia, all working again including my wireless networking!
Matt

Anonymous
February 21, 2010 12:24:25 PM

thank you very much mctoshiba for posting your solution, i had the exact same problem, i looked in my quarantine for eset and saw it there, i redownloaded and now i can schedule my downloads again :D 
!