File Summary

Does anyone know how to pipe a directory listing in windows to a text or
excel file which includes the file summary data, e.g.Title Comment
Author Owner fields

this would save me a lot of typing....

appreciated, Jim

I don't know about all this. Of course, opening a "command prompt" box and
typing "dir >filename" you do get a disk-based listing of your files in the
file <filename>.

I'm not sure if this will give you all the info you really want.

"Jim Hendry" <JTHendry@spamnothanksuklinux.net> wrote in message
> Does anyone know how to pipe a directory listing in windows to a text or
> excel file which includes the file summary data, e.g.Title Comment Author
> Owner fields
>
> this would save me a lot of typing....
>
> appreciated, Jim

Jimbo

Distinguished
Feb 20, 2004

Just google "directory lister", there are a lot of apps that will do what
you want.

"Jim Hendry" <JTHendry@spamnothanksuklinux.net> wrote in message
Does anyone know how to pipe a directory listing in windows to a text or
excel file which includes the file summary data, e.g.Title Comment
Author Owner fields

this would save me a lot of typing....

appreciated, Jim

Hi, Jim.

I don't know if you can make it include the additional info you want, but
you might be interested in this KB article:

How to add the Print Directory feature for folders in Windows XP
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=321379

RC
--
R. C. White, CPA
San Marcos, TX

"Jim Hendry" <JTHendry@spamnothanksuklinux.net> wrote in message
> Does anyone know how to pipe a directory listing in windows to a text or
> excel file which includes the file summary data, e.g.Title Comment Author
> Owner fields
>
> this would save me a lot of typing....
>
> appreciated, Jim

Quick way to print the directory listing
Are you looking for a way to print the names of all the files in a
particular directory? Well, Windows Explorer does not have an option to do
this. But, here's a quick way to do just that:

1. Go to "Start | Run"
2. Type

COMMAND /C DIR directory_name >PRN

For example, if you want to print the list of files on your C drive's
root directory, type:

COMMAND /C DIR C:\ >PRN

To print the files list on your WINDOWS directory, type:

COMMAND /C DIR C:\WINDOWS >PRN
3. Press ENTER.

Not sure if this is of any assist in your case, but its something you can
build on via checking out all available Dos commands.
Piping is not hard if you know the symbols to use and there are plenty
of Dos Tutorials around not to mention Dos n/g's.
Piping ( | ) and redirects (> >> < <<) are all available for use and if
you do a " /? " after any command in Dos you will find all available
options.
(if you have " 4Dos " then you will get even more)
Hope this helps.

...Rex..

"Jim Hendry" <JTHendry@spamnothanksuklinux.net> wrote in message
> Does anyone know how to pipe a directory listing in windows to a text or
> excel file which includes the file summary data, e.g.Title Comment
> Author Owner fields
>
> this would save me a lot of typing....
>
> appreciated, Jim

Jim,

For a normal directory list printing, see:
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=321379
http://www.karenware.com/powertools/ptdirprn.asp

Retrieving Extended File Properties - Scripting:
http://www.microsoft.com/resources/documentation/windows/2000/server/scriptguide/en-us/sas_fil_lunl.mspx

From David Candy:
http://groups.google.co.in/groups?selm=%23449C%24%24VEHA.1144%40TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl

From Torgeir:
http://groups.google.co.in/groups?selm=O3rWCwAvEHA.612%40TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl

--
Ramesh, MS-MVP
Windows Shell/User

Windows XP Troubleshooting
http://www.winhelponline.com

"Jim Hendry" <JTHendry@spamnothanksuklinux.net> wrote in message
> Does anyone know how to pipe a directory listing in windows to a text or
> excel file which includes the file summary data, e.g.Title Comment Author
> Owner fields
>
> this would save me a lot of typing....
>
> appreciated, Jim

Ramesh, Jimbo,Jeff, R.C., Rex,
Thanks for the replies, I have been checking out your recommendations.
Some interesting links, I think a bit of scripting is called for... itis
just what I needed.
This has been a fantastic response, and will help enormously, many
thanks Jim

Ramesh, MS-MVP wrote:
> Jim,
>
> For a normal directory list printing, see:
> http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=321379
> http://www.karenware.com/powertools/ptdirprn.asp
>
> Retrieving Extended File Properties - Scripting:
> http://www.microsoft.com/resources/documentation/windows/2000/server/scriptguide/en-us/sas_fil_lunl.mspx
>

> From David Candy:
> http://groups.google.co.in/groups?selm=%23449C%24%24VEHA.1144%40TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl
>

> From Torgeir:
> http://groups.google.co.in/groups?selm=O3rWCwAvEHA.612%40TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl

You're welcome Jim!

--

> Ramesh, Jimbo,Jeff, R.C., Rex,
> Thanks for the replies, I have been checking out your recommendations.
> Some interesting links, I think a bit of scripting is called for... itis
> just what I needed.
> This has been a fantastic response, and will help enormously, many thanks
> Jim
>
> Ramesh, MS-MVP wrote:
>> Jim,
>>
>> For a normal directory list printing, see:
>> http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=321379
>> http://www.karenware.com/powertools/ptdirprn.asp
>>
>> Retrieving Extended File Properties - Scripting:
>> http://www.microsoft.com/resources/documentation/windows/2000/server/scriptguide/en-us/sas_fil_lunl.mspx
<snip>

Indeed, my pleasure!