Advice Pro

Distinguished
Feb 25, 2009
My PC came with a recovery partion and have now experienced some bugs which I think I got rid of, but the download of zone alarm won't uninstall. Their support didn't help any since my Gateway GT5668E is past warranty expiration, so I want to just recover my PC to factory default. The OS is Vista Home Premium.

Advice Pro

Distinguished
Feb 25, 2009
I had a problem starting the process of recovering the system. After I press F8 & enter the Advanced Boot Options, choosing Repair your computer doesn't give me the System Recovery Options dialog box, but restarts my PC. I've gone through this process many times already.

There's really no call for attacking someone for asking for help. This forum is here for that exact purpose. People of all skill sets come here for advice and help, some problems more complicated than others. Some may come here just looking for a second opinion for a solution they think may work. Some may browse for answers while waiting for responses on the forum.

Did you end up fixing the problem?

You have revo uninstaller? Was there a problem using it to remove zone alarm, or have you decided that you just want to do a restore?

To contact a moderator, you can use the report link at the top of your post or PM one of them that moderate in this section.

Advice Pro

Distinguished
Feb 25, 2009
I could now uninstall ZA with the ZA tool, as I've used it before, but I want to make a System Recovery because of not being able to Repair my Computer at the Advanced boot options screen.

btk1w1

Distinguished
Oct 13, 2008
Entering the recovery partition in my experience isn't achieved by hitting F8 on start-up. That is a Windows function for entering the advanced boot oprions utility.

What you need to do is watch the screen closely during the boot time and keep a look out for e.g. Hit SHIFT + F2 to enter recovery console... or something similar. Usually the text will appear in white at the bottom of the screen early during the boot process and flashes by quite quickly. It might take a couple of goes to get it.

This is my experience with HPs and Compaqs, I believe Dells are similar also.

OK a quick search indicates the F11 key should be used to enter the recovery partition.