Router and adapter reccomendations

Hey guys,

Me and my friends are moving into a shared house next year and we need to choose a router and adapters for the internet. Needing to connect, there will be:

- My desktop (near the router, so i'll be using a patch cable)
- Two more desktops needing to connect wirelessly
- One laptop that can only connect at 802.11g
- A PS3
- An Xbox360
- A Wii

Our internet connection will probably be around 11mbps (theoretical maximum of 24).

Could anyone reccomend me a good set of adapters and a router that will work with all of these? Also:

If we get a 802.11n router, will we actually have to set it slower for the 802.11g devices to work properly? Or can n and g work in harmony?

Thanks,
1 answer Last reply
More about router adapter reccomendations
  1. As far as brand is concerned most people trust Netgear and Linksys and you can rely upon them to still be around when you need firmware or driver updates. Netgear has a pretty good support forum.

If you have Vista check with the retailer about Vista compatibility -- still causing problems with wireless equipment.

I would avoid using USB wireless adapters -- PCI has better range and fewer problems.

Don't know about wireless N and your toys -- they tend to use old technology (even 802.11b) but N equipment usually has a b&g setting.
Ask a new question

Read More

Routers Connection Wireless Networking