8600gts black screen of death!

takui

Distinguished
Jun 21, 2007
Hi guys, i've this problem and i'm searching a solution around inet without any luck....

I've got this new graphic card, i've tryed every driver, from the 158.22 till 165.01 beta. When I start a game (in my case, lineage 2), after a bunch of minutes, the game frozen up, then a no signal message on the screen and i've to reset my system.

My specs are:

amd 46000+ am2
asus M2V
2gb kingston 800
sb x-fi gamers
3xhd
1xdual layer
peak 8600 gts 256mb ddr3
550W psu, 12v1 18a, 12v2 16a.

I've tryed with only 2 hd connected + the vga connect with an adaptor to a molex, then with the right connector without adaptor (cuz the psu gives one) from the psu, but nothing.

The problem occour too when i try to run a search for artifacts with ati tool, or the vga test from 3dmarks06. Sometimes these test works, too... (1 of 6 times, +/-).

Gpu temp are around 51-56 °C in idle, and 76-82 °C in full load....

I've no clue, many ppl in the nvidia forums and others hd forums have this problem, but not a working solution....

So...hope some of u can help me...

One guy here had the CPU voltage set too low and was experiencing problems with games.
Please post screenshots of CPU-Z or list their values.
Also tell us the voltage of the memory in your system.

takui

Distinguished
Jun 21, 2007
This is ok?

For the memory voltage, i've to do something, or the screen on the screen is what u want?

bombatwist

Distinguished
Jun 22, 2007
i had the same thing yesterday due to volts being too high on the cpu, it was because i overclocked my cpu awhile back and i set it back to default the otherday and forgot to reset my volts to default.

Have you overclocked your cpu at all by any chance?

takui

Distinguished
Jun 21, 2007
i had the same thing yesterday due to volts being too high on the cpu, it was because i overclocked my cpu awhile back and i set it back to default the otherday and forgot to reset my volts to default.

Have you overclocked your cpu at all by any chance?

Never overclocked cpu neither gpu :|

You memory should be running at 400.
Adjust the settings manually in the Bios.
What voltage is specified for your memory?
Look at newegg.com.
Your CPU voltage looks like it is in the correct range.

takui

Distinguished
Jun 21, 2007
another user in a forum with the same problem has tested his system with these psu:

450w generic psu:

115/230 v 10/6A 60/50Hz

+3.3V____+5V____+12V_____-12V____+5VSB
30A______32A______22A_____0.8A_____2A

600w brand axioma:

220V - 50Hz 3A

+5V_____+3.3V____+12V____-5V____-12V____+5VSB
32A______35A______24A____0.5A_____1A_____2.5A

with this system: Windows Vista Utimate Retail 32 bit - ASRock ALiveSata2GLAN - AMD Athlon Dual Core 3800 64Bit - 1 GB RAM - Realtek High Definition Audio - XFX EXTREME Nvidia Geforce 8600 GTS 256 mb

same problem as well...

takui

Distinguished
Jun 21, 2007
They are enough u say, but i've to buy a new one or not? Cuz u've linked various psu thread too....i'll glad to spend 100+euros for a new psu if it's the problem, but if it's not and i've to buy for example another mobo, it can be a problem, cuz i cant waste much money...

I recommend you replace that PSU. The PSU is the heart of your system and a cheap PSU can take with it the rest of your system if it burns out. It can cause you $1,000.00 worht of damages.
Will it solve your problems? You need to try another one in order to find out. There is a possibility it could be a bad motherboard too. But the likely cause is your PSU which is not up to standards.
Before I go out and buy another PSU, I would make those adjustments to the memory speed I mentioned before. They will not cost you anything.

takui

Distinguished
Jun 21, 2007
I've never touched my memory frequency, just plugged in my mobo, i've said800 because they are 2x1gb kingoston dd2 800, not that they are running at 800...

Sometimes automatic settings work themselves out unfavorably.
You should go in the Bios and change the memory settings from SPD to manual and configure it to run at 400. You will have better performance and get what you paid for with your hard earned money.

takui

Distinguished
Jun 21, 2007
Hello, can u explain me a thing? Why i've to set my memory to 400 if they are 800? On the mobo they was setted to 667 btw, i've setted to 800 cuz i've a pair of ddr2 800....but i don't understand why are u saying that i've to set them to 400.... o_O

Btw, i've tryed few test today:

5 3dmark06 graph test with only 2 hd plugged: a sata and a pata, all test works fine.

5 3dmarks06 graph test with 3 hd, a dvdrw and a floppy: on the 2nd test my pc was frozen.

5 test with 2 hd again: all ok

5 test with 3 hd: all ok, i've restarted my machine to do others 5 test with 3 hd, and they was ok another time..

5 test with 3hd+dvdrw: ok, restarted and do others 5 test, ok too..

So, i've plugged in again the floppy: on the first test, pc frozen.

I know, it can be stupid.....but can be the floppy a hint to understard where is the problem? Too much power on 12v when i connect it, is possible? I'm fell a little stupid to say this but i've no idea.....

one more thing: another user had tell me that the chipset via is not compatible with series 8 card, can this be possible?

takui

Distinguished
Jun 21, 2007
ok, nothing......on the games pc still freeze.....i'm seriously thinking about an incompatibility issue with a Via chipset mobo and series 8 video card...if only i can find a ppl with a via chipset mobo and no problem with these cards....

levicki

Distinguished
Feb 5, 2006
yes, and so? watt and voltage are ok....i've got the problem with a 600w AXIOMA too.

Both of those PSUs are ok for low to mid range office computers.

First, having 300€ worth of 8800GTS running on some cheap PSU is a disaster waiting to happen.

Second, the fact that the less components you have attached the better it works can mean two things:

- PSU is really too weak
- Case airflow is inadequate

Third, you might have gotten a faulty card but that is least likely of all the above.

Floppy doesn't use 12V all the time, just when the motor spins. DVD-RW the same but they do load 5V rail which can affect the total output power available from the PSU.

Moreover, if you add the V and A numbers yourself:

3.3V x 22A = 72.6W
5.0V x 16A = 80.0W

Subtotal = 152.60W, their rated subtotal = 130.00W

Add to that 180.00W and 192.00W for two 12.0V rails and you get 524.60W and yet they rate it as 480.00W. Another 22.1W for -12.0V and 5VSB line and you have grand total of 546.7W yet they state 450W max. That is whooping 96.7W short from the stated A ratings on the case.

In my experience, if a difference is greater than 25-50W it is a PSU I wouldn't trust to power a light bulb. I would advise you to get better PSU. Corsair HX-520W or 620W if you want to be on the safe side would be a good and not too expensive choice.

Before breaking the bank be sure to check for any overheating in your computer, make sure all your BIOS settings are optimal, test your RAM using goldmemory (http://www.goldmemory.cz/) or memtest86+ (http://www.memtest.org/), and that you have uninstalled/reinstalled video drivers properly.

For an interesting and informative read on PSUs click here.

takui

Distinguished
Jun 21, 2007
thx for the reply, sure what u r saying about my psu can be true, but some ppls with the same vga as mine and a crappy psu than mine can use it withouth problem and overclocked too! For this i'm thinking about a incompatible issue between via chipset and series 8...but i dunno how to prove it....

Btw i've a 8600 not a 8800, and my temps are good, max i Hit 78-80°C on full load with the gpu, cpu etc are under 45 °C

takui

Distinguished
Jun 21, 2007
Hello again, i've installad pc probe 2 from asus, a sw that can say what vcore have u from windows....i dunno how much u can trust it but.....if it's say the truth, i've 11.55 - 11.61 on the 12v, can be this a problem? Can I trust this sw?

When I start my game, my monitor display goes black and reports "Signal Out of Range" or "Out of scan range." How do I fix this?

Answer

This problem happens if the signal from the video card exceeds the scan range of the monitor. The video card setting for updating the screen (the refresh rate) isn't compatible with the monitor.

To fix the problem see the steps below.

In Microsoft Windows 98 or ME, change the monitor refresh rate to "Adapter Default". In Microsoft Windows XP/2000 set the refresh rate to 60hz.

To change this setting:

Right click over any part of your Desktop -> from the menu that pops up, select "Properties" -> this will bring up your Display Properties -> click on the Settings tab in your display properties and then click on the Advanced button on the lower part of the panel -> this will bring up the advanced section of the display properties -> click on the "Adapter" tab for Windows 98/Me or the "Monitor " tab for Windows 2000/XP. You will see the refresh rate listed on this panel. Adjust your refresh rate to a setting compatible with your monitor.

Alternatively, you may limit your refresh rate for Direct3D applications through the Microsoft Windows DirectX Diagnostics Tool. To access the DirectX Diagnostics Tool, left-click on the "Start" button -> select "Run" -> in the Open field, type in "dxdiag" and then left-click on the OK button -> this will bring up the DirectX Diagnostics Tool -> left-click on the "More Help" tab -> left-click on the "Override" button -> this will bring up a pop up window -> in the "Override Value", type in the refresh rate that is compatibility with your display and finally, click on the OK button.

http://nvidia.custhelp.com/cgi-bin/nvidia.cfg/php/enduser/std_adp.php?p_faqid=16&p_created=1096475653&p_sid=-ZelH_Ei&p_accessibility=0&p_redirect=&p_lva=&p_sp=cF9zcmNoPTEmcF9zb3J0X2J5PSZwX2dyaWRzb3J0PSZwX3Jvd19jbnQ9MSZwX3Byb2RzPTAmcF9jYXRzPTAmcF9wdj0mcF9jdj0mcF9zZWFyY2hfdHlwZT1hbnN3ZXJzLnNlYXJjaF9ubCZwX3BhZ2U9MSZwX3NlYXJjaF90ZXh0PWJsYWNrIHNjcmVlbiB3aGVuIGdhbWluZw**&p_li=&p_topview=1

levicki

Distinguished
Feb 5, 2006

Of course it can be a problem. Tolerance is ±5% for 12V rail and 11.55V you mention is dangerously close to 11.43V. If you want to be sure about the exact voltage, then use DMM to measure voltage on one of the free molex connectors (yellow and black wires) but be carefull not to make a short circuit. Also, you have to measure voltage under load, not when idle, which will probably make your result even worse.

To conclude, you have already been told what to do, but if you insist on using crappy PSU then you should really quit complaining here.