New C2D6600 build - Help with cooling problems

dtushing

Distinguished
Oct 10, 2005
I've built a new build in my old Antec case SX840 Tower case.
http://www.antec.com/pdf/drawings/830.pdf

I think I can only fit 80mm fans in this case.

Currently I have 3 old Antec case fans. Can you suggest better fans please. I'm also looking to keep noise down, quiet is important. 1 fan needs to have a 4 pin header as the System_Fan header on mboard is 4 pin.

I am using the standard Intel supplied heatsink for the Processor.
I did not intend to overclock heavily but hoped to get to 3.0ghz on air.
For that reason I did not buy a Ultra 120 or a Northbridge Fan. Maybe I should buy them ? I heard you have to lap the Ultra 120.

I will be putting an 8800GTS or GTX in this build soon.

I am running Prime for stress testing along with Speedfan and Intel TAT
to observe temps and fan speeds.

Can you guys tell me what temp2 in Speedfan is please, it's getting up to 60C when I run Prime on both processors using -A0 and -A1 and causing the speaker to sound.

Speedfan 4.32 under Prime load running on 1 proc.
Temp1 = 41c
Temp2 = 53c <------ what is this reading, it's always high ?
Temp3 = -1c <----- what is this reading ?
HD0 = 36c
Core0 = 47c
Core1 = 46c

Speedfan 4.32 at Idle
Temp1 = 42c
Temp2 = 36c
Temp3 = -1c
HD0 = 38c
Core0 = 32c <------- are these idle temps okay ?
Core1 = 31c

I do not have a Northbridge fan connected and also no fan connected to the "System Fan" header on motherboard.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Current Build
INTEL C2D E6600
Gigabyte GA-965P-DS3 v3.3
MEM,DDR2 EPP800MHZ 2G(2x1G)DUAL PATRIOT
Western Digital 320MB SATA.
Antec True550W - Only 24A 12V :-(

FUTURE Add On / Replacements.
EVGA 8800 GTS 640MB
PC Power & Cooling Silencer 610W

Grimmy

Splendid
Feb 20, 2006
You could get a fan controller to control up to 4 fans. Even though you have a 4 pin header, you could disable the CPU fan monitor or smart fan I believe, and still hook it up to a controller to manage noise.

The Temp2 I'm guessing is the chipset temp.

Temp3 is prolly just a bug reading, meaning it's not reading anything particular.

You just need to figure out what is what, using perhaps your MB apps that help give you temp readings.

Speed fan readings are usually 15C cooler then the more approximate temps. Try using Core Temp.

Also this guide can help answer other questions you may have, or just give ya info on:

Core 2 Duo Temperature Guide

speed4life

Distinguished
Nov 17, 2006
I would invest in a better CPU cooler even if you are only mildly over clocking. Like the Zalman 9700 or the Tuniq Tower 120. In the long run it will be best for you. Good luck.

Motherboard: EVGA T1
CPU: E6600 L646G494 @ 3.7Ghz. 1:1 Ratio Linked & Synced Voltage 1.44 Load Temp 45c
Idle Temp. 25c
SPP:1.45volts, MCP: 1.50volts
Memory: Mushkin PC2 8000 4-5-4-11, 2T Voltage 2.1
Swiftech Water Cooling H20-220
Video: One EVGA 8800GTS 320MB
Power Supply: Silverstone 750W

dtushing

Distinguished
Oct 10, 2005
Thanks for your response. I guess my problem is that I cannot figure out what the second temp reading is.

I am trying to figure out if I may have perhaps installed the stock cpu heatsink incorrectly and this may be causing the Temp2 value in Speedfan to increase and set off the alarms.

Kinda pissed to think I might have to take this thing apart again and install an aftermarket heatsink just to get it to run okay.

What do ya think ?

Grimmy

Splendid
Feb 20, 2006
Well... the stock HSF should be okay (in a case with good airflow), even for OC'ing, but you'd get better results, or should get cooler results with (recommended) 3rd party HSF.

I've read so many posts on using the stock 775 HSF, to where people end up finding out sooner or later if they installed it correctly. Personally, I think the 775 socket 4 pin really sucks since it is hard to be sure you have it installed correctly without taking the MB out to see the 4 pins in all the way from looking at it from the back.

On my comment on speed fan, the 15C cooler temps, should be with the core (0/1) readings. The rest of the readings should match or be similar to temp readings like for the MB apps. Going by memory, speed fan temps pretty much matched my dads MSI app that showed the chipset, which was I believe Temp2. With speed fan you just need to figure out what is what, or the FAQ on their website should help you on it.

I was never really sure if the stock HSF would perform that great, so in my case I ended up buying an OEM E4300 (doesn't come with HSF) and getting a clone AC7 by Sunbeam. I should admit I spent the most time installing that HSF since it was the dreaded 4 pin. :lol:

It actually worked good enough for a 2.4 ghz OC, but on a full load, the core temps still reached 62/63ish (still safe, since 75C is getting close to 85C on thermal shutdown) since its basically warmer for the summer time. Though the stress test will make the CPU run hotter then games or other apps.

Not everyone will have the same results simply from ambient room temps, and perhaps airflow from the case.

graysky

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2006

dtushing

Distinguished
Oct 10, 2005
You are right guys and yes that is an interesting difference in the temps between the cores. Makes me think I might have screwed up putting the stock heatsink on. It was a bitch to mount, first time I mounted it, the motherboard was all twisted up, I was worried about it. I did check that the pins were all visible on the underside of the board though. It _looked_ okay.

Anyway this is in my newegg wishlist. What do ya think ?

Arctic Silver ACN-60ML (2-PC-SET) Thermal material Remover & Surface Purifier $5.99

Thermalright Ultra-120 Extreme CPU Cooler - Retail $64.99

Scythe S-FLEX SFF21E 120mm Case Fan - Retail
Model #: S-FLEX SFF21E $19.99

Went with the E version as it's a lower DBA. I worry about the Ultra-120 mounting as I am a newbie at this, also people say it needs to be lapped. They seem to have manufacturing problems with these and many are arriving concave ?

SilenX IXP-54-14 80mm Case Fan - Retail $13.99

I need new quiet and decent CFM case fans. I am hearing mixed reviews of the SilenX stuff. They have to be 80mm.

Thanks