Could my Radeon Xpress 200M handle Oblivion?

pous

Distinguished
Mar 30, 2007
Just wondering if you guys think I could have Oblivion run (At LOW) on my Radeon Xpress 200M. If not... do you think something like "Oldblivion" would work on this card? Is it worth the potentially wasted $50 to find out?

Thanks in advance :D

Ananan

Distinguished
Apr 2, 2007
I have 200M Xpress laptop but I never installed Oblivion. I have run other games.

Only current gen game that was playable with everything on low was FEAR. Doom 3 didn't run at playable levels and CoD 2 became a slide show during any fire fight.

If you want I'll install Oblivion and post my results so you don't have to waste $50. I'm sure it won't be pretty.

Other specs: Turion 64, 1 gb Ram, Windows XP

200 Xpress played games like Unreal 2 and Gothic 2 better than my 9600 but can't keep up with current gen games for the most part; only 2 pipes I think.

HyperBladeST

Distinguished
Oct 26, 2006
It won't run. Unless you want to lower the graphic near Diablo 1 level.
From what I know the X200M is pretty much like the GF 6150.
I know the 6150 is laggy in HL2 games. It's playable in NWN as long as there isn't too much spells casted at the same time.

Maybe you can borrow it from a friend and try it or as Ananan kindly propose ask him to try it for you. MAYBE at ultra-low rez like 400*300 it will run.

You may be able to play Oblivion with your X200M, but you will need to use a program called Oldblivion to omit using some DX9 features.

http://www.oldblivion.com/?page=docs&title=Supported+Cards

The X200M is not on the supported card list, but it is also not on the the unsupported list.

Youf best bet is to borrow Oblivion from a friend, install it on your PC, then install Oldblivion. If it seems to work and the graphics are acceptable, then go out and buy the game.

jonisginger

Distinguished
May 24, 2007
No, in a word.

Oldblivion might make it run, but it will look so bad when small children look at the screen, while you playing it, they will cry.

akahuddy

Distinguished
Oct 23, 2006
Your Radeon Xpress 200M will be cast into Oblivion. 8)

Seriously though, save up some money... by any means that you can do it, and buy a real graphics card.

rodney_ws

Splendid
Dec 29, 2005
No, in a word.

Oldblivion might make it run, but it will look so bad when small children look at the screen, while you playing it, they will cry.
Knowing that Oldblivion will make children cry makes me want to go download that even more now! Man, you shouldn't have told me that... that sounds a lot easier than taking candy away from babies and kicking puppies.

pous

Distinguished
Mar 30, 2007
Thanks for the serious replies that I've gotten, to the rest, well, I'm glad I could lighten your day with some humor, even if I was being serious.

I have 200M Xpress laptop but I never installed Oblivion. I have run other games.

Only current gen game that was playable with everything on low was FEAR. Doom 3 didn't run at playable levels and CoD 2 became a slide show during any fire fight.

If you want I'll install Oblivion and post my results so you don't have to waste $50. I'm sure it won't be pretty.

Other specs: Turion 64, 1 gb Ram, Windows XP

200 Xpress played games like Unreal 2 and Gothic 2 better than my 9600 but can't keep up with current gen games for the most part; only 2 pipes I think.

Thanks for the offer, I'd appreciate it if you could try that, but using the guy's suggestion from below (which I actually mentioned at the top) of using "OLD"blivion.

Also settings won't matter, low or otherwise, I'm more about gameplay anyway.

You may be able to play Oblivion with your X200M, but you will need to use a program called Oldblivion to omit using some DX9 features.

http://www.oldblivion.com/?page=docs&title=Supported+Cards

The X200M is not on the supported card list, but it is also not on the the unsupported list.

Youf best bet is to borrow Oblivion from a friend, install it on your PC, then install Oldblivion. If it seems to work and the graphics are acceptable, then go out and buy the game.

Thanks, I mentioned that in the top of the thread and was hoping someone would post a little about it.

I'm not saying I expected it would, I was just asking a general question with this thread. Again, thanks to the people that answered me seriously.

Ananan

Distinguished
Apr 2, 2007
So I installed it along with Oldblivion and played around for a while, and (to my great surprise) the game actually played. I went through the tutorial and ran around outside the sewer gates for a bit.

Conclusions -

It isn't playable at a higher resolution than 640x480. Many images (like the king, when he first come through your jail cell) appear very pixelated; they look like they're from a mid 90's game.

During any sort of combat with more that two other characters on the screen the fps dip down below 10. You can make it through combat, but I have to say it's not that fun.

The average fps is probably between 10-20. Oldblivion did seem to improve it slightly. I didn't notice much difference in the quality of the visuals - they're all pretty bad.

It does run better than games like Doom 3 or CoD 2.

So, if you're desperate, you could make it through Oblivion with a 200M Xpress if you wanted to. But I just don't see the point.

If you strip away the graphics you're taking away what is far and away the games strongest feature. There's great RPGs out there that will run fine on your PC.

I would save my $50.

pous

Distinguished
Mar 30, 2007
So I installed it along with Oldblivion and played around for a while, and (to my great surprise) the game actually played. I went through the tutorial and ran around outside the sewer gates for a bit.

Conclusions -

It isn't playable at a higher resolution than 640x480. Many images (like the king, when he first come through your jail cell) appear very pixelated; they look like they're from a mid 90's game.

During any sort of combat with more that two other characters on the screen the fps dip down below 10. You can make it through combat, but I have to say it's not that fun.

The average fps is probably between 10-20. Oldblivion did seem to improve it slightly. I didn't notice much difference in the quality of the visuals - they're all pretty bad.

It does run better than games like Doom 3 or CoD 2.

So, if you're desperate, you could make it through Oblivion with a 200M Xpress if you wanted to. But I just don't see the point.

If you strip away the graphics you're taking away what is far and away the games strongest feature. There's great RPGs out there that will run fine on your PC.

I would save my $50.

Awesome, thanks :D

My brother has a desktop computer with a Radeon 9200 in it and that's in the supported list for cards, so I was thinking maybe of trying Old-blivion on that... we'll see what happens, because at the same time I know what you mean about there being other great RPG's that we CAN play without difficulty.

Thanks again for helping :D