Sign in with
Your question

Intel to speed up introduction of 1333MHz CPUs

Last response: in CPUs
June 21, 2007 3:49:49 PM

Quote:
In order to grow penetration of 1333MHz front-side bus (FSB) CPUs and boost Intel 3-series desktop chipset (Bearlake) sales, Intel plans to suspend production of five 1066MHz Core 2 Duo CPUs by late 2007, according to sources at motherboard makers.

Intel will suspend landing orders for five 1066MHz FSB CPUs, including E6600, E6700, E6300, E6320 and E6420, by late 2007. Final delivery schedule is set as the first quarter of 2008, the sources detailed....

© DIGITIMES Inc.
June 21, 2007 3:58:21 PM

I still think Intel knows what 10h can do and needs to try and undercut AMD on price. I'm still just at a loss as to Intel's strategy of late.
June 21, 2007 4:03:38 PM

Their strategy is: We are on top and can take our time doing what we want at our pace.
Related resources
June 21, 2007 4:04:54 PM

Quote:
Their strategy is: We are on top and can take our time doing what we want at our pace.

Isn't that like saying, "Screw you, pay me?"

From GoodFellas.
June 21, 2007 5:18:01 PM

Quote:

From GoodFellas.

I read that while watching Goodfellas. Weird coincidence...

"Business bad? Fuck you, pay me."
"Oh you had a fire? Fuck you, pay me."
"Place got hit by fire, huh? Fuck you, pay me."
June 21, 2007 5:46:27 PM

Quote:

From GoodFellas.

Funny, I would say AMD FX 53s & 55s going for over $800 and FX 60s going for $400 while the better perfroming E6600 and E6700 are selling at $204 and $314 is like saying "Screw you, pay me"
June 21, 2007 5:58:34 PM

Just read on fudzilla (I know, but I've been reading the same rumours elsewhere too) that the QX6800 is going to be halved in price. If this is true it's going to be one heck of a deal. Quad-core at ~$270? Hell, count me in. I got my x2 4200+ for practically the same amount of money a year ago.
June 21, 2007 6:20:44 PM

A year ago? If we are going to bring up that concept, I am going to bring up the fact that the 1ghz AMD cpu Socket A cost me $1000.

Everything gets cheaper for a while, then more expensive as production stops, then less expensive as demand drops to nil.
June 21, 2007 6:29:26 PM

Quote:
A year ago? If we are going to bring up that concept, I am going to bring up the fact that the 1ghz AMD cpu Socket A cost me $1000.

Everything gets cheaper for a while, then more expensive as production stops, then less expensive as demand drops to nil.

I know everything gets cheaper, but I just bought this cpu 9months ago to be exact, and you can't say that it's not going to be a bargain for a quad-core. I mean, what competition is there? Intel is ending up competing with itself.
June 21, 2007 7:58:49 PM

There is plenty of competition for the quad core.

I want one, you want one, we all want one, but there just isn't enough. :) 

Either way, I think right now, quad cores are just hype unless you are in the actual environment that can use them, I.E. Server, GFX stations.... Vista is better at using multi-cores, but not really.
June 21, 2007 9:45:45 PM

Well right now they really are useless but not in the near future (next 2 months). From what I read Bioshock will be well and truly multithreaded as well as the first true dx10 title so I guess that it will take anything u care to throw at it.

Also, luckily hear in malta you can count the number of enthusiasts on the fingers of one hand practically. All ppl seem to care about is MHz and RAM, they don't care if they have a Radeon 9200 as long as they can brag that it has 2gigs RAM. I know I'm exaggerating but you get the idea.
June 22, 2007 6:57:06 AM

Quote:
In order to grow penetration of 1333MHz front-side bus (FSB) CPUs and boost Intel 3-series desktop chipset (Bearlake) sales, Intel plans to suspend production of five 1066MHz Core 2 Duo CPUs by late 2007, according to sources at motherboard makers.

Intel will suspend landing orders for five 1066MHz FSB CPUs, including E6600, E6700, E6300, E6320 and E6420, by late 2007. Final delivery schedule is set as the first quarter of 2008, the sources detailed....

© DIGITIMES Inc.

So Intel wants to sell more chipsets...no suprise there. I'm going to take a pass on P35 and G33, though...

Waiting for X38, which looks like it'll be smoking hot (figuratively, and literally)

Speaking of which, has anyone heard if will officially offer support for SLI???
June 22, 2007 9:01:35 AM

Quote:

� DIGITIMES Inc.

So Intel wants to sell more chipsets...no suprise there. I'm going to take a pass on P35 and G33, though...

Waiting for X38, which looks like it'll be smoking hot (figuratively, and literally)

Speaking of which, has anyone heard if will officially offer support for SLI???
Yeah, I'm camping for X38 too.

No official word from either NVIDIA or Intel if X38 will support SLi. It does support AMD's CrossFire, though. :lol:  Never though I would see that. XD

Also, it's very unlikely that NVIDIA will allow X38 to use SLi (officially). NVIDIA's chipset sales usually come from enthusiasts who look to build an SLi rig for the future (they usually never do though). If X38 supported SLi, it would undercut a lot of NVIDIA's sales for their 680i series.

As for this end of production for 1333MHz CPUs, I'm not surprised or bothered. There's more than enough 1066MHz FSB CPUs in Intel's inventories to continue sales and besides, most of us will move onto these new CPUs. People were complaining about the Smithfield-Presler transition despite nothing of importance taking place--same thing here. :/ 
!