VPN problems with new company! Help!

armoredsaint

Distinguished
Nov 25, 2007
My new company I work for has a very weird VPN problem. Since I work at home I need to connect to their servers, but they said you can not connect if your routers start with 192.168.x.x and you would need to change it to 172.16.x.x

The major problem is that my whole house is networked in 192.168.x.x and I tried changing things to 172.16.x.x and it REALLY messed up my home network, lots of weird stuff happening. As I spend 3 hours with our IT dept changing things back to original settings. Only way I am overcoming this problem is using dial-up :cry:

Any help or advice is appreciated! IT department said they will be changing it to be compatible with 192.168.x.x in the NEAR future since a majority of us who connect at home has theses settings. Thanks

bravo29

Distinguished
Dec 19, 2007
What happened when you went to the IP change?

Did you on every pc do ipconfig /flushdns and ipconfig registerdns at a command prompt?

I would get off that 192.168.x.x scheme. it a basic standard and trust me its easy to hack into even with a linksys or dlink router inplace doing NAT.

Changing an internal IP scheme should have not been an issue unless you forgot to put some one on the same IP subnet or you missed a gateway address somewhere.

I need more info as what you meant by what problem you had.

Also you may need to check what type of VPN you company uses IPSEC or SSL. If it IPSEC check you ISP if they allow it over their line. Some ISP's dont allow or support IPSEC VPN over their line unless if its a dedicated circuit(dsl) or a business class line.

rgeist554

Distinguished
Oct 15, 2007
Any help or advice is appreciated! IT department said they will be changing it to be compatible with 192.168.x.x in the NEAR future since a majority of us who connect at home has theses settings. Thanks
We've got the same problem at our business, but it shouldn't be too hard for you to change the IP's. Try going back into the router and changing it to 172.16.1.1 or x. (Try to set the default gateway / router address to 172.16.1.1 for simplicity)

Now on each PC connected to the router, go into the command prompt (Start, Run, type "cmd", hit enter) and type "ipconfig /release". It should scroll some information about IP, Subnet, and Gateway being 0.0.0.0. If not, you may have typed the command wrong, so make sure you don't use quotes. :p

After the /release command finishes, type "ipconfig /renew". You should see something like this:

w2knet46.gif

Of course, it will say 172.16.1.x instead of 192.168.1.x. If you aren't able to renew the IP, post back.