Ideas on something to fill a 5.25" and 3.5" bay...

rabidbunny

Distinguished
Mar 1, 2006
I was just wondering what I could put in my computer to use the three 5.25 inch drive bays and 3.5 inch bay I have externally accessable. My friend is going to try making a drawer for me for one of the 5.25 inch bays, but that'll still leave me with two left and a 3.5 inch bay open.

I don't need another disc drive, nor do I need a media card reader/usb hub. I have an Apevia X-plorer (cheap, i know) midtower with a temp sensor and fan controller already built into it, so I don't need that either.

Any ideas?

Thanks.

rabidbunny

Distinguished
Mar 1, 2006
hm...checked out that psone mod, a good idea, but I don't necessarily have the $$ to spend on an lcd screen.

dual 1.25" speakers with volume control, etc.

ipod holder/charger

dual speakers? is that even necessary if I have 5.1 speakers?!?

Also, i do not have an ipod, so that won't work...

I did some digging around, and the best I could come up with is a drawer HERE, or a fan controller (which I already have), or even a usb hub with audio (which I also don't need.)...

Sounds like there really isn't much else out there unless I create my own thing for it. :(
I do like the small lcd screen idea, but i don't exactly have the money to work with. Otherwise, i'd do it.

I'm thinking the drawer is my best bet, but I'll have to have my friend make one since there is no compusa in my area.
I suppose, i could get another burner, so I could occasionally burn a cd while playing a game.

chocobocorey

Distinguished
Jan 8, 2006
if you have a sound blaster card, you could try to hunt down one of the front panel drive things, that let you use a remote for your music and such. otherwise, grab a 5 1/4 floppy disc drive for old school style

glupee

Distinguished
Jan 31, 2007
hm...checked out that psone mod, a good idea, but I don't necessarily have the $$ to spend on an lcd screen.

These psone screens are only like $20 on ebay. I know it's ebay, but you're only going to take it apart anyway.

Either way, thanx for the info Mr. Busey sounds like a good summer project for me! :lol: :lol:

Gary_Busey

Distinguished
Mar 21, 2006

These psone screens are only like $20 on ebay. I know it's ebay, but you're only going to take it apart anyway.

Either way, thanx for the info Mr. Busey sounds like a good summer project for me! :lol: :lol:
Yeah, that's what I was going to tell him. You can find those PSOne screens for cheap. Just make sure you get the correct ones, because if I remember correctly, only certain ones will work.

Thrstbster6

Distinguished
Sep 14, 2006
They make a piece for the drive spaces that has a cup holder. I would put a can of coke or your favorite can beverage in it. It also has a ciggarette lighter that uses a power cable from your psu. Its like a car lighter, kinda neat if you smoke. I used to smoke but never smoked inside the family didnt like it and so i finally kicked the habit.

rabidbunny

Distinguished
Mar 1, 2006
well, as far as a drink goes, I usually drink water. Soda is a rare occasion for me, since I don't prefer the taste of sweet, carbonated water (I work around it alllll the time.) And a lighter, i don't smoke and I don't light things on fire.

That enclosure is a good idea. I might look into getting one and a drive, however I already have an external drive and do not use a ton of space.
Oh well. Think the cardboard drawer is a good idea ! Otherwise, I haven't been able to find more info. But, if anyone has any ideas, they are most welcome even if they are a bit insane. :twisted: :D

CompUSA has those for 11$. Cheezy as hell though. I do not recomend.

Anyway, here are some new ideas:

LED fan control / temp monitoring station with USB/...
Sound blaster drive bay extension.
Stuff holder (a drawer) at compusa for $6 (useful).
5 1/4 floppy YA!
USB card reader. Compusa has one that is a drive bay card reader, but pops out and connects USB to anything.
Spend your money on something else?

rabidbunny

Distinguished
Mar 1, 2006
CompUSA has those for 11$. Cheezy as hell though. I do not recomend.

Anyway, here are some new ideas:

LED fan control / temp monitoring station with USB/...
Sound blaster drive bay extension.
Stuff holder (a drawer) at compusa for $6 (useful).
5 1/4 floppy YA!
USB card reader. Compusa has one that is a drive bay card reader, but pops out and connects USB to anything.
Spend your money on something else?

:) thanks for the ideas. They are great, however I don't really need any of that stuff/already have it in my case. I had hoped that someone had some whacky idea.

akahuddy

Distinguished
Oct 23, 2006
dude.. that is sick. its real right?

nice strongbad icon too

I assume. I wouldn't buy one though.

To the OP: Instead of getting stuff for 5.25 bays, buy something cool for one of your USB ports like a drink cooler/heater... or mini-fridge.

5 1/4 in floppy isn't wacky enough? I say it is.... and cheap to.

Save up $100 and put in a LCD.

Or save up $200 and purchase a VIA computer and put it in there. Thats what I am doing (though making it portable AKA Carputer). Plug it into the drive bay to sync with my computer. Plug it into the car to play music /video.

Woo.

rabidbunny

Distinguished
Mar 1, 2006
5 1/4 in floppy isn't wacky enough? I say it is.... and cheap to.

Save up $100 and put in a LCD.

Or save up $200 and purchase a VIA computer and put it in there. Thats what I am doing (though making it portable AKA Carputer). Plug it into the drive bay to sync with my computer. Plug it into the car to play music /video.

Woo.

:twisted: :D

glupee

Distinguished
Jan 31, 2007

Yeah, that's what I was going to tell him. You can find those PSOne screens for cheap. Just make sure you get the correct ones, because if I remember correctly, only certain ones will work.
ya man thnx, i bookmarked the article and saw a whole bunch of other pages from google, gonna hit the flea market this weekend maybe i'll find something there :D