WinXP SP Hangs During Boot Up

NCDad

Distinguished
Oct 24, 2009
I am working w/ a refurbished desktop PC. It has a Jetway V2MDMP MB, w/ an AMD Athlon 2000 XP CPU. Max RAM installed. Two other IDE devices installed + floppy drive.

Recently, I removed the old IDE HDD. I installed a new 500GB SATA HDD. I was able to get it formatted in order to install WinXP.

During WinXP installation, I pressed F6 in order to install SATA driver. Installation proceeded w/out any trouble. No error msgs.

After installation, during cold boot or soft boot, POST process hangs at PCI listing on ACPI controller line (IRQ 9).

Have found two methods to boot completely to windows.
First, I boot to BIOS (pressing DEL key), then I press F10 to exit BIOS, and WinXP boots successfully.
The other way is to boot PC, soft boot PC twice before screen gets to PCI listing, & windows boots successfully.

How do I get this PC to boot normally?

Thanks for any assistance!

NCDad

Distinguished
Oct 24, 2009

I haven't found an "AHCI" function in BIOS. I do have ACPI, & it is enabled. I have two hardware discrepancies under "Other Devices." I need to load drivers for multimedia controller & VGA controller.

NCDad

Distinguished
Oct 24, 2009
Update: Until I locate suitable drivers for the multimedia controller & VGA controller, I have disabled these two hardware items. Even when they're disabled, boot up still hangs at ACPI controller line (IRQ 9).

FYI. Previous installation of UBUNTU Linux worked fine. No problems starting or shutting down system.

NCDad

Distinguished
Oct 24, 2009

Thanks for responding, btw.

Yes, had been in process of rectifying these device issues. To date, I have solved both. Currently, there are no device conflicts in Windows.

I also tried your suggestion to disable ACPI in BIOS. I had done that before coming to the forum, but wanted to try it again after resolving the hardware device issues. So, the results of disabling ACPI in BIOS has been the same.

With ACPI in BIOS disabled, the PC boots to a blank screen after recognizing the SATA controller & completing the PCI listing. With ACPI in BIOS enabled, the PC still hangs on the PCI listing at the ACPI controller.

During the boot process, the SATA controller is recognized as it is listed on the monitor (see below).

Does XP create a boot log? To me, something is not getting handed off properly between the SATA controller & the NTLDR or am I missing a step?

Extra info added below:

BIOS: Phoenix - AwardBIOS v6.00PG / V.V2MDMP A02 03-22-2004
Memory clock is: DDR333

03/22/2004-KM266PRO-8235-6A6LYJ1DC-00

+++

SATA Controller: Sil 3512A SATALink BIOS Version 4.3.84
Copyright (C) 1997 - 2007 Silicon Image, Inc.

1 ST3500410AS 465GB

Also recently replaced PSU w/ new 600watt ATX PSU (has dedicated SATA pwr connection). PC boot process halts at same PCI line whether its a 300 watt or 600 watt PSU.

NCDad

Distinguished
Oct 24, 2009

Yes, the SATA HDD is connected to the PCI SATA controller card. The MB does not have a built-in SATA controller device.

The other two PCI cards were removed. Did a cold boot & the problem still persists. Tried more than once.

As an FYI, I have noticed that when I double pump the warm boot button that the system successfully passes the same PCI screen listing, on which it hangs, without any trouble. Something is stopping BIOS from handing off to the boot sector on the cold boot & single soft boot.

Also, my BIOS sequence is floppy, IDE CD-ROM device(s), & then SCSI. I've tried HDD0 & HDD1, but they don't seem to work either. I have two IDE devices, a CD-Writer & DVD player.

P.S.

I disconnected the IDE cable for the IDE devices. System is still hanging at same PCI listing screen. Maybe I'll try disconnecting the SATA HDD just for giggles. :) Who knows, it might boot.

P.S.S. I did remove the SATA HDD cable from the SATA PCI controller. BIOS reported DISK BOOT FAILURE, INSERT SYTSTEM DISK and PRESS ENTER. I would seem to think then that there is an issue with properly accessing the MBR?

I've looked at the BOOT.ini file and haven't noticed anything unusual, but not sure how that would correlate to using a SATA PCI controller card.

NCDad

Distinguished
Oct 24, 2009

In BIOS, under Advanced BIOS features, these are the available boot device options:

Floppy
LS120
HDD-0
SCSI
CDROM
HDD-1
HDD-2
HDD-3
ZIP100
USB-FDD
USB-ZIP
USB-HDD
LAN
Disabled

I would have thought SCSI would have been the logical choice. Should I look elsewhere in BIOS?

The other available categories are as follows:

Standard CMOS features
Advanced Chipset Features
Integrated Peripherals
Power Management Setup
PnP/PCI Configuration
PC Health Status
Miscellaneous Control
& then categories for default BIOS loads, passwords, saving or not saving changes.

NCDad

Distinguished
Oct 24, 2009
Regarding the PnP/PCI Configuration, here are the choices within this category:

PNP OS Installed = No
Reset Configuration Data = Disabled

Resources Controlled by = Auto(ESCD)
xIRQ Resources = Press Enter (Not Available)

PCI/VGA Palette Snoop = Disabled
Assign IRQ for VGA = Enabled
Assign IRQ for USB = Enabled

NCDad

Distinguished
Oct 24, 2009

I tried HDD-3 & HDD-2 as the 1st boot device. Neither option works. Still hanging at the same PCI listing screen.

NCDad

Distinguished
Oct 24, 2009

Not sure about BIOS update. Will have to verify.
SP3 = yes

How do you access the repair console?

Thanks!

Put in your OS disc. Change the boot order in the BIOS to boot off the optical drive and restart. Press a key when you see the prompt. It's similar to installing windows. But instead of formatting, use the R option to access the repair console.

When it asks for the admin password, just hit enter. It's blank by default. That will take you to the command line.

NCDad

Distinguished
Oct 24, 2009

Oh, that repair console. I accessed the repair console. However, setup did not find any hard disk drives installed the computer. As a result, screen says setup can not continue & to press F3 to quit the repair console.

Haven't had chance to fully look into BIOS update(s) that might be available.