Trouble with DHCP (i think) Please Help!

Emin3nce

Distinguished
Jul 27, 2008
Hi guys,

I recently ran into a problem with my network and need some serious help.

I am Currently running an XP machine using an ASUS wireless card on a wireless home network (SSID Michael) hooked up to Optusnet ADSL (sigh), Hardware wise, the Modem Router is a Samsung Speedstream.

It is set to DHCP mode with the configuration to send out IP range 10.1.1.1 - 10.1.1.x and set to act as the DNS gateway also.

So rightfully, my machine should show:

(Ipconfig /all)

Dhcp Enabled........................: Yes
Autoconfiguration Enabled....: Yes - I'm not sure about this one
IP Address.............................: Something in 10.1.1.x range
Subnet Mask..........................: 255.255.255.0 (same as router)
Default Gateway....................: 10.1.1.1 (Router)
DHCP Server..........................: 10.1.1.1
DNS Servers..........................: 10.1.1.1

Ever since a couple of days ago, the internet stopped working - but i remained (and still can) logged into the network using the right key etc.

but my settings are all farked...

Now i get:

Dhcp Enabled........................: Yes
Autoconfiguration Enabled....: Yes - I'm not sure about this one
IP Address.............................: 192.168.0.101
Subnet Mask..........................: 255.255.255.255
Default Gateway....................: 10.1.1.1 (whether i change or not it doesn't make a hoot of difference)
DHCP Server..........................: 192.168.0.1
DNS Servers..........................: 192.168.0.1

From the DHCP!

I'll still be connected to Michael, but have no connectivity, and when i look in to network connections, i will see "internet connection" through gateway yadda yadda, but there is a 'speed' of 1bps (lol) and no "recieved" because, low and behold, i have no connectivity!

Then if i manually change it all, nothing works.

And when i manually config i still don't get anything seeing as the Router is set to _Self for DNS and that can only be utilised if DHCP is enabled.

I tried Winsockxpfix, reinstalling, i tried turning all other devices off. I even tried just changing the Default Gateway to 10.1.1.1 (as you can still have DHCP on).

It appears to be picking up the DNS settings from somewhere else, perhaps another network in range (i live in a crowded area) - Which is lame considering i AM connected sought of to the Network Michael.

Is there any hope? Can i actually tell the fking thing which DHCP server to use?

auscanzukus

Distinguished
Jul 26, 2008
What's your wireless home network? What router? The router should act as the sole DHCP. The modem should be either a pure modem or in bridge mode. Download the modem manual and search for "bridge" or "transparent" and follow the instruction.

Also, I'd suggest you reset the modem & follow the setup wizard/guide. Don't get smart and change the IP. You may end up with a conflict. If the defaults don't work, then it may be the hardware.

Also, your NIC should be in DHCP and all the IP/DNS are pulled from router auto. No hardcoding in the properties window. In fact, the router pulls those numbers from the modem.

If you're a subscriber, try this out:

http://www.optuszoo.com.au/welcome

If not, call up your ISP. It's their job to get you online.

Emin3nce

Distinguished
Jul 27, 2008
As stated, the network is Michael and the router is A speedstream set to 10.1.1.1

And i'm not getting smart and changing the IP, besides which, i know the Machine IP's for the entire network, so a conflict would be quickly resolved...

The router is working fine though, the other machine on the network - through a direct Ethernet - is getting the right details from the DHCP.

The ISP will only help basic networking problems, if my problem were that simple, i would hardly be posting here - i work with alot of networks and this is the most bizzare problem i have had to date.

I shall try your suggestion to rego through the Modem settings, i didn't set that part of this network up, though my suspicions are pointing away from the bridged modem, as that has already been discussed with the isp.

If any others have any suggestions, that would be much appreciated.

jankyscoes

Distinguished
Jun 30, 2008
Check the IP address of the router to make sure it is still 10.1.1.1. Because the DHCP server is giving you addresses in the 192.168.x.x range, it was probably changed somehow.

Try looking at your DHCP settings in the router. It probably lists a starting address as 192.168.0.100. Change this to 10.1.1.100 (or anything other than 10.1.1.1). Also a subnet mask of 255.255.255.255 will not work AFAIK. It should be 255.255.255.0.

If all else fails, you could try resetting the router to factory settings and then working from there.