Internet Explorer not working

ptfitzy

Distinguished
Nov 20, 2009
I have a Dell Studio Computer with "Windows Vista" Home edition. We both have "Internet Explorer 8"
I am a "User" and my wife is a "User".

My Internet Explorer Default Browser "Google" works fine when I click on Internet Explorer.
However, when my wife Switches to "User" for her, if she clicks on Internet Explorer, up pops the Box "Please wait while windows configures search settings 1.2.1"
Then behind that window another Box pops up "Search Settings will now close all instances of Internet Explorer before continuing". "Click continue to proceed". She clicks "Continue" and the screen goes Blank. I see above the Toolbar, there is nothing. If she clicks on the "Drop Down" arrow, there is "Google", "MSN" etc. If she brings up Google from the Drop Down Menu, she clicks on Google which then comes up.
I checked "Internet Options" and Google is the "Default Browser".
I've been on this computer for 2 Days and I'm going nuts. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks, Ptfitzy

ptfitzy

Distinguished
Nov 20, 2009

You're right. I get mixed up. I want Google as my Default Page like it was before. Not Google chrome.
Thanks, ptfitzy

G

After trying the "Clean Reboot" and I get to "Restart" it tells me I am uunable to Reboot because others are logged on.
So I went to this site and signed up my wife. Remember we both switch Users. It still would not Reboot saying other users are logged on.
Any suggestions?
Thanks, Ptfitzy on "kdeanie's user site.

If you "switch" users, it doesn't log the other person off when you are using the other account. If you want the other user to be logged off, then you must select "Log Off" instead of "Switch User". This will log the other account off, and you won't get the message upon shut down.

ptfitzy

Distinguished
Nov 20, 2009
Clean Reboot didn't work. I've been looking all over the Internet and Microsoft Sites.
I was wondering if you can uninstall IE 8 and then reinstall it.
Also, there is a Free Program called "easy bcd 1.7.2.
Ptfitzy

ptfitzy

Distinguished
Nov 20, 2009
I think it is or thinks it's wanting to install something.

"1.21 Settings" and then the Box comes up saying "it is going to close all instances of Internet Explorer" and gives you the choice of "continue" or "cancel", if I click "Cancel", nothing happens.
Now when I click "Continue", it closes and now Google comes back up. So it's a little better but a Pain in the rear.
Thanks to all of you who have been so patient helping me. I greatly appreciate it.
Ptfitzy

ptfitzy

Distinguished
Nov 20, 2009

Reference with my problem with Internet Explorer 8 and getting the "1.2.1 Box" and saying "it will close all instances of Internet Explorer," I downloaded "Easy BCD" on my wife's page. I don't know what Box I need to click on. I know it' not "Tweak VI". I cliclicked on other boxes and I suddenly lost my Google Home Page when doing it on my wife's page. I was able to get back into "My" Internet Options and fixed it.
It's my wife's page that I still can't fix. Any Step by Step suggestions?
Thanks, ptfitzy