Rebuilding SFC in Vista...

Some months ago I ran sfc because I supposedly had some corruption in my system files. It didn't really work and in the process I went to purge the sfc cache in order to rebuild it. It purged the cache but also failed to rebuild it. I want to get the system files fixed before 04/13/2010 for obvious reasons and I really don't want to do a system restore from the recovery partition if I don't have to. Gateway, who made my computer, was completely worthless and tried refering me to their pay for number.

It's a Gateway GM5478 PC running Windows Vista Home Premium 32 bit. I had it for about two years and I was wondering how I would go about forcing SFC to ask for the DVD so I can either restore the files or the cache.
3 answers Last reply
More about rebuilding vista
  1. Theres no way to force Vista to ask for the DVD? Or to point to my DVD drive or Recovery Partition where the files are?
  2. You have to change the first boot device in the BIOS, to make it boot off the DVD.

If you have a recovery partition, and know the keystroke, that will reinstall windows.
Ask a new question

Read More

Security Cache Windows Vista