Sign in with
Your question

Service pack 2 help!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Last response: in Windows XP
October 26, 2009 1:02:35 AM

I just installed Windows XP Pro onto a band new drive. Installed the drivers and the antivirus. Next I went to get widows updates. I went to express because I was in a hurry. It installed service pack 2. Now it will not go into windows in any form. I have tried safe mode and regular mode. It gets to the XP loading screen in normal mode then reboots. In safe mode it runs through the list of files that it loads then reboots.

Is my only way to reinstall windows?? Ihave had a fit to try to get into this machine. I hate to start from scratch again. Thanks for looking.

More about : service pack

October 26, 2009 5:42:53 PM

IIRC Badge, you have to have SP2 installed before you can upgrade to SP3. So if you have an XP CD that doesn't include SP2 or SP3, then SP2 will be downloaded and installed before SP3.
m
l
Related resources
October 26, 2009 5:45:48 PM

Ok right. OP needs to immediately load SP2 after installing his OS installation disk. Do not install an antivirus. Or chipset drivers. Just install the OS and then sp2.
m
l
October 26, 2009 7:02:04 PM

Ok What you say makes sense, but I have a question. After I install Service pack 2 do I reboot or just install SP 3?
m
l
October 26, 2009 7:07:02 PM

badge said:
Ok right. OP needs to immediately load SP2 after installing his OS installation disk. Do not install an antivirus. Or chipset drivers. Just install the OS and then sp2.

Ok What you say makes sense, but I have a question. After I install Service pack 2 do I reboot or just install SP 3?
m
l
October 26, 2009 7:40:07 PM

After SP2 the system will ask for a reboot. Reboot and install SP3. I have a similiar problem with a system when SP2 was released. It was an older AMD 64 like socket 939 or 754. It was my ethernet driver I was installing after the OS installation CD that was causing the system to crash. I am not sure about that, only rememebr to just install CD>SP2 directly thereafter.

EDIT: With my system that had the same problem as yours, I remember now that I was installing the OS from the CD, then installing software from my ISP at the time to go online and get all the M$ updates. It was that software from my ISP that was causing the system to crash and not boot back up. Loading SP2 before that software App solved the problem. Software issue.
m
l
November 8, 2009 9:06:08 PM

The only way i could get around it after more than one try. Was to install windows. Do a custom update when i went to there site. After I was there i did a manual look at all the updates available. I installed SP 1. Then i went one from there and everything was good.
m
l
!