Can't start safe mode

aliasbk

Distinguished
Oct 26, 2009
I am having a little issue. I have recently obtained the rogue virus lsas.blaster.keylogger. It has pretty much hijacked everything except firefox. I need to boot my PC in safe mode to run Malwarbytes but i am having a problem. I can get to the menu to select Safe Mode, Safe Mode with Networking and Safe Mode with Command Prompt just fine. However when I select any of these 3 options my PC just reboots and comes back to the menu. On the flip side i can start windows in normal mode just fine, but cant do anything because of the virus. Does anyone have any idea what would be preventing windows from booting in safe mode or how i can get it to.

Thanks in advance,
Sry if this isn't the right forum ;)

daviduk109

Distinguished
Jun 12, 2008
try 'start' then 'run' then type 'msconfig' then in the menu that pops up, select the 'BOOT.INI' tab. in that menu there is a box that you can tick to tell the pc to start up in safe mode, with or without networking (i.e. internet access). probably best to select no networking for the purpose of running malwarebytes.

When you want to come out of safe mode, you'll need to untick the box before restarting pc.

RJL21

Distinguished
Nov 6, 2009

I was experiencing a problem like the originator of this thread. I tried the above and am having major problems. My computer, despite being told to start in safe mode from the 'boot.ini' tab, still will not start in safe mode. I get an error message telling me it won't start in safe mode and now, unlike before, I can't boot up at all. No matter which choice I make (safe mode, safe mode with networking, safe mode with command prompt, last known good configuration or normal), the computer cycles for a second and then drops me right back into the safe mode screen from which I can't start up. It is an endless cycle.

Is there a way to undo what I did to the boot.ini file? This is driving me NUTS.
Thanks,
Randy

RJL21

Distinguished
Nov 6, 2009
It says:

"We apologize for the inconvenience, but Windows did not start successfully. A recent hardward or software change might have caused this.

if your computer stopped responding, restarted unexpectedly or was automatically shut down to protect your files and folderse, choose last known good configuration to revert to the most recent settings that worked.

If a previous startup attempt was interrupted due to a power failure or because the Power or Reset button was pressed, or if you aren't sure what caused the problem, choose Start Windows Normally"

Then the options are listed
Safe Mode
Safe Mode with Networking
Safe Mode with Command Prompt

Last known Good Configuration (your most recent settings that worked)

Start Windows Normally

Then it says, "use the up and down arrow keys to move the highlight to your choice.
Seconds until Windows starts:" then counts down from 30

Doesn't matter which of the five options I choose, they all cycle back to the same screen after a few moments of attempting to boot. During the few moments that it does try to boot, a blue screen with some text on it pops up for less than one second - such a quick flash that I have no idea what it says.

Any ideas would be appreciated. Thanks

xxnideoo

Distinguished
Oct 24, 2009
To use a Safe Boot option, follow these steps:
Restart your computer and start pressing the F8 key on your keyboard. On a computer that is configured for booting to multiple operating systems, you can press the F8 key when the Boot Menu appears.
Select an option when the Windows Advanced Options menu appears, and then press ENTER.
When the Boot menu appears again, and the words "Safe Mode" appear in blue at

daviduk109

Distinguished
Jun 12, 2008
there is nothing there that should prevent booting up at least into safe mode. There must be something more fundamental wrong with the system. have you tried inserting the windows xp cd? that may break the cycle and provide you with a different set of options.

RJL21

Distinguished
Nov 6, 2009
unfortunately, this is a company laptop that came pre-loaded with XP. i don't have the software CDs to load on there. Looks like this'll have to be shipped back to corporate IT. Ugh.

cateddy

Distinguished
Jan 1, 2010
Hello RJL21. I am having the same problem with my computer. I was wondering if you found an answer for you problem. I was able to get my computer to start up off a CD the I made. It is Bart's PE Setup. I can get on the internet, in fact I am using the computer right now. I can see all the files on my computer and copied them off to a USB drive that I have. If you push the F8, it gives you a change to stop the blue screen so that you can see the stop error. The error that I am getting is: C0000218. You can look at that and it will give you the answer to your problem. I read a lot about it but haven't tried anything yet. I spent the whole day saving all the files that I have on my computer. The is the second hard drive in one month. The last one was a 250 gigg hard drive. This one is only about 60 gigg I got out of another computer.I sure would like to get it going again. I have the software so that I can make an image of it if I can get it going again. Well let me know what you find out and if I find a good answer, I will put another comment on this page. My email address is; cateddy@hotmail.com Chuck

cateddy

Distinguished
Jan 1, 2010
I was able to find the answer. In the Bart's PE Setup disk there is a program that has a copy of chkdsk. It ran 5 different scan and fixed all the problems. You can do this also with the software that comes out with windows by install another hard drive on your computer. That way you would be able to check the other hard drive for errors. Once I got the computer started, I ran a virus scan and found 2 viruses. One was a Rogue.sysCleaner and the other one was a Trojan.Dropper. I hopes that this helps someone else with the same problem. Chuck