RCA D52W20 TV - goes B&W during cable box channel changes,..

Last response: in Home Theatre
February 14, 2005 7:25:16 PM

Just wondering how serious this is... We've had our 52" RCA D52W20 rear
projector TV for just over a week. It's not a bad set but we've run across a
few "issues" and I'm looking for comments before we decide whether to return
the set or not...

Our cable TV box is connected to the TV using an SVideo and RCA audio
cables. When changing channels on the cable box the TV will sometimes go to
a black/white picture instead of colour. Usually it stays that way until we
change inputs or turn the TV off/on. Changing channels doesn't usually fix
it. Picture is clear and strong otherwise. This sounds like a defect and I
don't want to keep a defective TV. What could be wrong?

When using the TV in 4:3 mode, the blank areas at the side are grey, not
black. Is there any way to change this? it's quite distracting, especially
when watching in a dark room.

Finally, RCA is pretty clueless about their own products. I want to hook a
PC up to the DVI port of this TV but they support staff can't even tell me
if it's digital (it is) or analog let alone what kind of timings or
resolutions are optimal for this input. Is there anyplace that I can find
some detail specs for the inputs on this TV?

Thanks!
Anonymous
February 15, 2005 8:51:31 AM

All sound typical of Thomson Teles. Grey side bard is to prevent the burn in
from watching the 4X3 all the time. Try connecting the CATV box via the
component rather than composite. The support for consumers from the China
based manufacturer of RCA and GE sets do not have a very good track record.
Hopefully they improve since they have acquired one of the most familiar
names in consumer electronics, at least for the Americas. IMHO there are
other bunch superior products out there in the same price range of the RCA
that you bought.
"Noozer" <dont.spam@me.here> wrote in message
> Just wondering how serious this is... We've had our 52" RCA D52W20 rear
> projector TV for just over a week. It's not a bad set but we've run across
> few "issues" and I'm looking for comments before we decide whether to
> return
> the set or not...
>
> Our cable TV box is connected to the TV using an SVideo and RCA audio
> cables. When changing channels on the cable box the TV will sometimes go
> a black/white picture instead of colour. Usually it stays that way until
> we
> change inputs or turn the TV off/on. Changing channels doesn't usually fix
> it. Picture is clear and strong otherwise. This sounds like a defect and I
> don't want to keep a defective TV. What could be wrong?
>
> When using the TV in 4:3 mode, the blank areas at the side are grey, not
> black. Is there any way to change this? it's quite distracting, especially
> when watching in a dark room.
>
> Finally, RCA is pretty clueless about their own products. I want to hook a
> PC up to the DVI port of this TV but they support staff can't even tell me
> if it's digital (it is) or analog let alone what kind of timings or
> resolutions are optimal for this input. Is there anyplace that I can find
> some detail specs for the inputs on this TV?
>
> Thanks!

Anonymous
February 23, 2005 10:14:50 PM

Side Bars are grey so when the customer chooses to use the 4X3, which does
not fill the whole screen, that the burn-in of the side bars takes longer to
occur.

Question, have you noticed the same effect (colour fading or drop out) when
connecting the CATV Box to the set via the RF input using channel 3?? You
may want to have it checked out, possible there may be an issue with the
signal board.

RCA was just transferred to a company in mainland China, not too awfully
sure about the customer support role yet.

Best source of information, other than the Owner's Operations Manual would
probably be the internet. Google, RCA.com, or something similar may give you
a hint of information. Specifications may be available from the retailing
dealer or an authorized servicer. The service manuals will include that
information but come at a fair price to the consumer. Normally the servicers
subscribe to a subscription for such data. Also you may try some of the HDTV
Forums on the internet.

"Noozer" <dont.spam@me.here> wrote in message
> Just wondering how serious this is... We've had our 52" RCA D52W20 rear
> projector TV for just over a week. It's not a bad set but we've run across
> few "issues" and I'm looking for comments before we decide whether to
> return
> the set or not...
>
> Our cable TV box is connected to the TV using an SVideo and RCA audio
> cables. When changing channels on the cable box the TV will sometimes go
> a black/white picture instead of colour. Usually it stays that way until
> we
> change inputs or turn the TV off/on. Changing channels doesn't usually fix
> it. Picture is clear and strong otherwise. This sounds like a defect and I
> don't want to keep a defective TV. What could be wrong?
>
> When using the TV in 4:3 mode, the blank areas at the side are grey, not
> black. Is there any way to change this? it's quite distracting, especially
> when watching in a dark room.
>
> Finally, RCA is pretty clueless about their own products. I want to hook a
> PC up to the DVI port of this TV but they support staff can't even tell me
> if it's digital (it is) or analog let alone what kind of timings or
> resolutions are optimal for this input. Is there anyplace that I can find
> some detail specs for the inputs on this TV?
>
> Thanks!

Anonymous
February 24, 2005 6:27:50 AM

"Art" <plotsligt@comcast.net> wrote in message
> Side Bars are grey so when the customer chooses to use the 4X3, which does
> not fill the whole screen, that the burn-in of the side bars takes longer
> occur.
>
> Question, have you noticed the same effect (colour fading or drop out)
when
> connecting the CATV Box to the set via the RF input using channel 3?? You
> may want to have it checked out, possible there may be an issue with the
> signal board.

Haven't used the built in tuner much, but we haven't noticed the issue when
using it. Also haven't had any problem with the DVI input.

So far it's just both SVideo inputs that do this.

We've got a repairman coming out on Friday to take a look... We captured the
issue with our digital camera (it does movies) so we've got something to
show him if it doesn't repeat itself.

If it's not just a simple adjustment I'm just going to return the set for
another model... Not quite sure which one though. It's really too bad as
this TV does have a nice picture and my PC works great on the DVI input.

Any suggestions for a 52" widescreen TV with DVI input for around $1900 Cdn?

I'm going to pick the repair guys brain a bit about the TV, but definately
not enough to harass him.
!