Please help. I have a very wierd display problem.

usedqtip

Distinguished
Jun 22, 2007
It doesn't happen all of the time, but sometimes when I power on my computer all of my display settings revert back to their defaults. Why could this be? Here are my specs:

EVGA 680i (Version A1)
EE6600 @ 3.40
EVGA 7950gt
Crucial Ballistix Tracer - 2gig DDR1066
Soundblaster X-fi
Tuniq Tower 120
Windows XP home

I'm not sure of the model but if it matters but I am using a Dell LCD monitor that is about 2 maybe 3 years old. All of my drivers and my BIOS are up-to-date.

Also, I have a new problem that may or may not be related to this one. So, instead of making a new thread I'll just add to this one. Today I got home from work and sat down at my computer. I didn't shut it off from the night before so all I had to do was move the mouse to get going. However, when I saw my desktop, every one of my shortcuts was gone. I restarted my computer hoping they would be back and that didn't work. Then I tried to create new shortcuts and I cant. For what ever reason it will not allow me to create shortcuts. I dont get an error message or anything, I just create like normal and it never shows up. every think else seems to be ok though. Please, someone, what is wrong with this computer of mine?

darkguset

Distinguished
Aug 17, 2006
Can you please be more specific on the "display settings" that you are talking about? Are you talking about the monitor's settings or the Windows display settings? And what exactly is the problem? discolouration or different resolutions etc... be more specific. Also it's good to mention which drivers you use for every device in your PC.

Regarding the shortcuts on your desktop, did you do a virus and spyware scan? Do one first, then if all is clear we can take it from there.

usedqtip

Distinguished
Jun 22, 2007
As far as what I mean by display settings, my screen resolution, color quality, that type of thing. They all revert back to default. For example the color quality is normally set at Highest (32 bit), but will go back to Medium (16 bit) and the resolution drops to 800 X 600 (or what ever the default setting is). Also, they all change at the same time. Its never just one.

As for my drivers, they all come form the manufactures websites: EVGA for both the Motherboard (BIOS ver. P28) and video card, Creative for the SC. I guess I don't know specifically which version it is but they are all up to date and directly from the manufacturer's website.

And finally, regarding the virus/spyware scan, yes I did that already. I used Spybot S&D and Ad-Aware for spyware and AVG and Kaspersky for viruses. all came up clean. I also checked the event viewer and nothing seemed unusual.

darkguset

Distinguished
Aug 17, 2006
As far as what I mean by display settings, my screen resolution, color quality, that type of thing. They all revert back to default. For example the color quality is normally set at Highest (32 bit), but will go back to Medium (16 bit) and the resolution drops to 800 X 600 (or what ever the default setting is). Also, they all change at the same time. Its never just one.

As for my drivers, they all come form the manufactures websites: EVGA for both the Motherboard (BIOS ver. P28) and video card, Creative for the SC. I guess I don't know specifically which version it is but they are all up to date and directly from the manufacturer's website.

And finally, regarding the virus/spyware scan, yes I did that already. I used Spybot S&D and Ad-Aware for spyware and AVG and Kaspersky for viruses. all came up clean. I also checked the event viewer and nothing seemed unusual.

Sounds like a windows FUBAR to me. Try uninstalling current drivers, then use a 3rd party tool to completely remove any traces of the old drivers (can't remember the name of the tool, do a search on Google or someone in here will tell you), then reinstall NVIDIA's latest drivers. Grab them from their website. If that doesn't fix it, try a repair installation using your Windows CD. Then reinstall the drivers from NVIDIA's site. That should fix it. If not... then maybe a clean install of Windows from scratch.