Problem with 7900GS?

bgstewar

Distinguished
May 16, 2007
Just put my new system together, and everything was working perfectly. I installed Halo 2 and it played great.

The next time I tried playing, it was so choppy I had to stop. I ran 3DMark, and my score was ABYSMAL (I'm talking average of 10 fps during the test).

My computer in general has become super slow (check out my specs - it shouldn't be slow at all), and sometimes when Vista loads all I get is a black screen and a mouse pointer, nothing else.

I ran Memtest86+ and passed it twice. My original PCMark06 score was 6300, then dropped to 5900.

Besides installing Halo 2, I also installed programs I always use - nothing major, and I know what I'm doing so I don't think that's an issue.

I guess I'm trying to diagnose if it's a bad video card, or a software issue, etc. Does anyone have any advice?

darkguset

Distinguished
Aug 17, 2006
It sounds like a software issue. Before you do anything, do a virus and spyware scan. Then if all clear, there may be something that runs in the background stealing away precious CPU cycles. Then check the display drivers. Uninstall, use a 3rd party utility to completely uninstall the drivers, and then reinstall from scratch.

That should get you back going.