Jun 22, 2007
Hello,

Antec P180
OCZGXS700
P5K Deluxe
Core 2 E6320
Radeon x1950 PRO
Corsair DDR2 XMS2 PC 8500

I've recently built a computer with these specs. Currently there is nothing external plugged in (no monitor, no keyboard, no mouse), but everything else is seated. When I turn on the power, it turns on for a few seconds, then promptly turns off. No beeps.

I've reseated the CPU/fan twice now, and unplugged, replugged everything I could think of. I'm just aiming for it to stay on and beep at me so I can have at least some clue as to how to proceed.

I'm fairly new at this. I've googled around but I've found nothing, but if there's something I've missed please kindly let me know.

All help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks for your time in advance,

- Eric

EricR86

Distinguished
Jun 22, 2007
The front power button. There's an LED on the board that indicates when the board has power. The LED turns on when the switch at the back is on. So the switch on the back is on - and when I press the power button, it turns on for a few seconds, then turns off again.

morerevs

Distinguished
May 19, 2007
Try to build the system outside of the case just to eliminate shorting or missing something because of cramped workspace. Use only CPU/cooler, one stick of ram and videocard to see if it posts (the beep you are longing to hear :D ) If that works there's probably an extra standof or something in the IO panel, or maybe even CPU cooler backplate that is touching the case and causing problems. Also make sure you have the power and reset plugs connected properly to the board. I believe there was this guy in another post that switched them around and had similar issues.

GL.

EricR86

Distinguished
Jun 22, 2007
@Crashman: The CPU fan is connected into the proper connector according to the P5K manual, and it does manage to start for a few seconds before it shuts down with everything else.

@SupremeLaw: Thanks for the link.

@morerevs: That's an interesting approach I hadn't considered. What's even more interesting is that the I/O panel might be causing a short. I've been thinking it was a PSU issue, and maybe there was a short somewhere. If I had to guess at where there was a short, it would be at the I/O panel. I'll try out your method when I get home from work.

@evongugg: The power supply is OCZGXS700. A 700W power supply from OCZ. I don't have a multimeter at home (is there another way to measure?), so I can't say what the amperage is on the 12V rails.

Your power supply has enough power.
For your reference on the label inside the computer are the amperages.
Before replacing it, we need to make sure there is nothing shorting out the power like extra motherboard spacers and that everything is connected and connected the proper way like morev said.

EricR86

Distinguished
Jun 22, 2007
So I got home and I tried taking out the board from the chassis, plugged in power, 1 stick of ram, CPU was mounted, and put in the vid card. Same symptoms, same problem. It seems it's not a chassis problem.

My last option, of course, is to take it into a shop for them to look at it.

Thank you all for your help so far.

EricR86

Distinguished
Jun 22, 2007
Embarrassingly, it turns out I forgot plug in the CPU power connector to the mobo.
But what surprises me more is that neither the mobo manual or the manual that came with CPU specified plugging in a separate CPU power connection to the motherboard.
Admittedly I saw the power connections, but since I knew the motherboard supported the Quad chips (among other CPUs), I assumed it was for them (requiring more power?). And I figured it's best to play it safe and not accidentally give the CPU more power than it should have, and frying a CPU.

Thank you all for volunteering your time to help me. It was all very much appreciated.

- Eric

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
You could provide your CPU with 10,000 watts of power and it would still only use what it normally does. An 1800W wall outlet can power a 7W nightlight bulb. It's all about resistance, so in the future don't worry about "too much power".

Too much voltage is another issue, but one that you don't need to be concerned about unless you're messing with the house wiring, using an American power supply in Europe, or manually setting higher voltage in BIOS.