Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Help, theyre stealing my CoH! (Urgent)

Last response: in Video Games
Share
April 25, 2005 6:16:38 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.coh (More info?)

My account is installed on the server at teh company I work for, and I
have been playing there since about last August, (with permission). I
came in to work today and was just told that CoH has to be deleted
because it 'opens a portal', (I'm still a little fuzzy on what that
means), and has caused/allowed a list of spyware as long as your arm
to be installed on the pc that i play on. Some of it had to be erased
in Windows safe mode.

Has anyone else experienced this?

Can I save my character files, or does the company store that info
somewhere else besides my computer? Help!!!!

Sean
Anonymous
April 26, 2005 1:21:58 AM

Archived from groups: alt.games.coh (More info?)

Sean wrote:

> Can I save my character files, or does the company store that info
> somewhere else besides my computer? Help!!!!

All your characters are saved on Cryptic's servers, not on where you've
installed CoH.

Just install elsewhere, log into your account, that's it.

--
John Parkinson
Anonymous
April 26, 2005 1:43:53 AM

Archived from groups: alt.games.coh (More info?)

Character files are not saved on your local computer so don't worry about
it. I play on a number of computers around the state and can access all my
toons without any problems.

"Sean" <seansmith999@hotmail.com> wrote:
> Can I save my character files, or does the company store that info
> somewhere else besides my computer? Help!!!!
Related resources
Anonymous
April 26, 2005 8:17:31 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.coh (More info?)

seansmith999@hotmail.com (Sean) wrote in news:36e0498c.0504251316.30497ce3
@posting.google.com:

> Has anyone else experienced this?
>
> Can I save my character files, or does the company store that info
> somewhere else besides my computer? Help!!!!
>
> Sean
>

Incidently, NCSoft does not recommend running CoH on a server based system.

Anywho, just connected up and looked at the ports/traffic that was coming
through my network.

The client establishes to links at port 7000 and 7001 to two servers in
NCSofts Class C address range once you get past the update screen whis
conencts in a different Class C at port 80.

Characters and maps are actually stored on their servers at NCSoft
Anonymous
April 26, 2005 8:41:48 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.coh (More info?)

J Anlee <JanLee@ameritech.net> wrote:
> The client establishes to links at port 7000 and 7001 to two servers
> in NCSofts Class C address range once you get past the update screen
> whis conencts in a different Class C at port 80.

Interesting. I have port 80 open, of course, but 7000/1 are in the locked-
out range. My understanding of networking at this level is a bit spotty,
but I ass/u/me the connections are supported because it's initiated by the
client behind the firewall.

--
-= Victory Server =-
-= Shenanigunner: Level 38 Natural Tanker, Fire/SS, M =-
-= Sgt Glory B: Level 29 Tech Blaster, Electric/Energy, F =-
-= RorShok: Level 17 Natural Scrapper, MA/SR, M =-
-= R A Heinlein: Level 5 Science Controller, Ill/Rad, M =-
-= Always looking for reliable teammates - look me up! =-
-= See you on HEROICA! - http://www.dgath.com/coh/ =-
-= The Keybind & Macro Guide is now available! =-
Anonymous
April 26, 2005 9:43:43 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.coh (More info?)

Shenanigunner <shenanigunner@NOdgathSPAM.kom> wrote in
news:Xns964462FD4EA31nitropressatnitrosyn@216.168.3.44:

> Interesting. I have port 80 open, of course, but 7000/1 are in the
> locked- out range. My understanding of networking at this level is a
> bit spotty, but I ass/u/me the connections are supported because it's
> initiated by the client behind the firewall.
>

Yes.

Most firewalls are incoming restricted, not outgoing restricted.

So when a client requests a connection to a (non Well Known) port higher
than 1023, it usually lets it through.

I have read/heard that ZoneAlarm does/did have problems with outgoing.

For those that like trivia, ports 7000-7009 tcp/udp are 'registered' as
afs3 system calls (file server, callbacks to cache, users/groups db, etc)

But since the ports between 0 and 1023 uses have to registered per RFC793
as Well Known Ports and assigned via IANA those are the ones that have the
most security vulnerabilities ;) 
Anonymous
April 26, 2005 10:57:23 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.coh (More info?)

On 25 Apr 2005 14:16:38 -0700, Sean <seansmith999@hotmail.com> wrote:

> My account is installed on the server at teh company I work for,

No. Your account is not tied to a particular computer or server, nor will
it ever be. Its only limitation is that it can not be used by two people
at the same time. This is physically impossible, and is controlled by
Cryptic's login server. You can install the game as often as you want,
where you want. You can have it installed simultaneously many places as
long as you only login at one of the places at a time.

> and I
> have been playing there since about last August, (with permission). I
> came in to work today and was just told that CoH has to be deleted
> because it 'opens a portal', (I'm still a little fuzzy on what that
> means), and has caused/allowed a list of spyware as long as your arm
> to be installed on the pc that i play on. Some of it had to be erased
> in Windows safe mode.
>
> Has anyone else experienced this?

No. Nobody has experienced this because this is not how it works. CoH does
not directly or indirectly install or enable third-party software. I've
played the game since mid-beta on multiple computers and seen nothing of
the kind. Diagnostic tools find no trace of such software on my
computers. The ports used by CoH do not remain open after I quit the game.
Your unwanted software has nothing to do with CoH. Erasing CoH will not
in any way protect you from getting infected again.

> Can I save my character files, or does the company store that info
> somewhere else besides my computer? Help!!!!

Take the disks home and install them on your own computer. Let it download
the upgrades. You will now immediately have access to all your
characters. Not a single xp or influence is lost.

--
"When someone starts bragging about how much debt they have, it's not a
good sign." -G
Anonymous
April 27, 2005 12:02:01 AM

Archived from groups: alt.games.coh (More info?)

Shenanigunner wrote:
> I have port 80 open, of course, but 7000/1 are in the locked- out
> range. My understanding of networking at this level is a bit spotty,
> but I ass/u/me the connections are supported because it's initiated by
> the client behind the firewall.

Most firewalls work so that you can receive two-way traffic on a
connection that you've opened from the inside. For example, if you
initiate a TCP connection from local port 1234 to a remote port at
10.1.1.1:25, the firewall will allow return traffic from 10.1.1.1:25 to
local port 1234.

That works OK for most TCP-based protocols, like mail, because they use
a single two-way connection. However, other protocols use additional
ports, like FTP does, and the firewall may need to interpret the
application protocol to open additional ports.

UDP-based protocols are the worst case, because UDP is connectionless,
and the firewall can't easily predict when or where UDP messages will
arrive. It's fairly common that firewalls will accept any UDP message
from a remote host for a short time after sending packets there. That
makes it a bit easier to spoof communication from that remote host.
Basically, unless the firewall understands the application protocol
thoroughly (which isn't generally feasible for UDP game protocols), it
has no way of knowing which UDP traffic is legit.

Some firewalls will let you block this kind of "established" traffic and
only let UDP packets through on specific ports from specific servers.
You can configure a Linux server that way, for instance, if you're using
one as a firewall/router for your home network. I don't think any of the
consumer-level firewall appliances (e.g., Netgear, Linksys stuff)
support it, though.
--
Bradd W. Szonye
http://www.szonye.com/bradd
April 29, 2005 12:02:57 AM

Archived from groups: alt.games.coh (More info?)

Xocyll <Xocyll@kingston.net> wrote in message news:<5kev61p4nuak3g9bd1lqrobpg17cb1rccc@4ax.com>...

> Personally I'd have this idiot put his claim in writing.
>
> Then when the spyware returns, and it will, you should be able to play
> again, since it will have been conclusively proved that it wasn't the
> cause.
>
> Nothing like having proof the guy doesn't know wtf he's doing to stop
> further idiotic claims.
>
> Xocyll

I wish I could make him do that, but since he is part owner of the
company... that's not gonna fly. His partner (Boss #1) loaded it on
the machine, and gave me permission to use the account while he was
out of town. Therefore, Boss #2 had to have a 'good reason' to
countermand that. Boss #1 promised me a company PS2 when they
recruited me, and 18 mos later, no dice. The CoH account was to make
up for that, I think.

Sometimes I hate my job.

sean
Anonymous
April 29, 2005 12:38:22 AM

Archived from groups: alt.games.coh (More info?)

On 28 Apr 2005 20:02:57 -0700, seansmith999@hotmail.com (Sean) wrote:

>Xocyll <Xocyll@kingston.net> wrote in message news:<5kev61p4nuak3g9bd1lqrobpg17cb1rccc@4ax.com>...
>
>> Personally I'd have this idiot put his claim in writing.
>>
>> Then when the spyware returns, and it will, you should be able to play
>> again, since it will have been conclusively proved that it wasn't the
>> cause.
>>
>> Nothing like having proof the guy doesn't know wtf he's doing to stop
>> further idiotic claims.
>>
>> Xocyll
>
>I wish I could make him do that, but since he is part owner of the
>company... that's not gonna fly. His partner (Boss #1) loaded it on
>the machine, and gave me permission to use the account while he was
>out of town. Therefore, Boss #2 had to have a 'good reason' to
>countermand that. Boss #1 promised me a company PS2 when they
>recruited me, and 18 mos later, no dice. The CoH account was to make
>up for that, I think.
>
>Sometimes I hate my job.

So...get with Boss #1 on the issue. Talk sense to him, and perhaps he
can talk sense to Boss #2.

--
Dark Tyger

Stop the madness! (Marvel Vs Cryptic Studios petition)
http://www.petitiononline.com/marvscoh/petition.html

Hey, everyone else is doing it. Free iPod:
http://www.freeiPods.com/?r=15728814
Anonymous
April 29, 2005 9:46:38 AM

Archived from groups: alt.games.coh (More info?)

seansmith999@hotmail.com (Sean) wrote:
> I wish I could make him do that, but since he is part owner of the
> company... that's not gonna fly. His partner (Boss #1) loaded it on
> the machine, and gave me permission to use the account while he was
> out of town. Therefore, Boss #2 had to have a 'good reason' to
> countermand that. Boss #1 promised me a company PS2 when they
> recruited me, and 18 mos later, no dice. The CoH account was to make
> up for that, I think.
>
> Sometimes I hate my job.

....you were promised a PlayStation 2? A "company" PS2? Huh?

--
-= Victory Server =-
-= Shenanigunner: Level 38 Natural Tanker, Fire/SS, M =-
-= Sgt Glory B: Level 29 Tech Blaster, Electric/Energy, F =-
-= RorShok: Level 17 Natural Scrapper, MA/SR, M =-
-= R A Heinlein: Level 7 Science Controller, Ill/Rad, M =-
-= Always looking for reliable teammates - look me up! =-
-= See you on HEROICA! - http://www.dgath.com/coh/ =-
-= The Keybind & Macro Guide is now available! =-
Anonymous
April 29, 2005 9:46:39 AM

Archived from groups: alt.games.coh (More info?)

"Shenanigunner" <shenanigunner@NOdgathSPAM.kom> wrote in message
news:Xns9646E80E7A610nitropressatnitrosyn@216.168.3.44...
| seansmith999@hotmail.com (Sean) wrote:
| > I wish I could make him do that, but since he is part owner of the
| > company... that's not gonna fly. His partner (Boss #1) loaded it on
| > the machine, and gave me permission to use the account while he was
| > out of town. Therefore, Boss #2 had to have a 'good reason' to
| > countermand that. Boss #1 promised me a company PS2 when they
| > recruited me, and 18 mos later, no dice. The CoH account was to make
| > up for that, I think.
| >
| > Sometimes I hate my job.
|
| ...you were promised a PlayStation 2? A "company" PS2? Huh?

Son of SONY?
Anonymous
April 29, 2005 3:55:32 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.coh (More info?)

Shenanigunner <shenanigunner@NOdgathSPAM.kom> looked up from reading the
entrails of the porn spammer to utter "The Augury is good, the signs
say:

>seansmith999@hotmail.com (Sean) wrote:
>> I wish I could make him do that, but since he is part owner of the
>> company... that's not gonna fly. His partner (Boss #1) loaded it on
>> the machine, and gave me permission to use the account while he was
>> out of town. Therefore, Boss #2 had to have a 'good reason' to
>> countermand that. Boss #1 promised me a company PS2 when they
>> recruited me, and 18 mos later, no dice. The CoH account was to make
>> up for that, I think.
>>
>> Sometimes I hate my job.
>
>...you were promised a PlayStation 2? A "company" PS2? Huh?

Sure why not.

Heck there was that guy who had it in his contract that he'd get a desk
made of LEGO.

http://www.ericharshbarger.org/lego/desk.html

Sometimes there are odd signing bonuses.

Xocyll
--
I don't particularly want you to FOAD, myself. You'll be more of
a cautionary example if you'll FO And Get Chronically, Incurably,
Painfully, Progressively, Expensively, Debilitatingly Ill. So
FOAGCIPPEDI. -- Mike Andrews responding to an idiot in asr
Anonymous
April 29, 2005 4:02:13 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.coh (More info?)

seansmith999@hotmail.com (Sean) looked up from reading the entrails of
the porn spammer to utter "The Augury is good, the signs say:

>Xocyll <Xocyll@kingston.net> wrote in message news:<5kev61p4nuak3g9bd1lqrobpg17cb1rccc@4ax.com>...
>
>> Personally I'd have this idiot put his claim in writing.
>>
>> Then when the spyware returns, and it will, you should be able to play
>> again, since it will have been conclusively proved that it wasn't the
>> cause.
>>
>> Nothing like having proof the guy doesn't know wtf he's doing to stop
>> further idiotic claims.
>>
>> Xocyll
>
>I wish I could make him do that, but since he is part owner of the
>company... that's not gonna fly. His partner (Boss #1) loaded it on
>the machine, and gave me permission to use the account while he was
>out of town. Therefore, Boss #2 had to have a 'good reason' to
>countermand that. Boss #1 promised me a company PS2 when they
>recruited me, and 18 mos later, no dice. The CoH account was to make
>up for that, I think.

You should talk to Boss #1 again then, since Boss #2 is making nonsense
claims.
This can't be good for the company, and i'll bet you that the reason
there is spyware on the system is Boss #2 clicking something/everything,
or installing something like comet cursor.

Now he's looking to pass his goof off on you.

Do not allow this.

While it looks like he's blaming CoH, in another way he's saying "Sean
played a game on the company network and got us infested with spyware."

That kind of thing could be used as grounds to fire you and/or give
_YOU_ a bad reputation.

>Sometimes I hate my job.

With an Asshat Boss, i'm not surprised.

Xocyll
--
I don't particularly want you to FOAD, myself. You'll be more of
a cautionary example if you'll FO And Get Chronically, Incurably,
Painfully, Progressively, Expensively, Debilitatingly Ill. So
FOAGCIPPEDI. -- Mike Andrews responding to an idiot in asr
Anonymous
April 29, 2005 4:02:14 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.coh (More info?)

On Fri, 29 Apr 2005 12:02:13 -0400, Xocyll <Xocyll@kingston.net>
wrote:

>You should talk to Boss #1 again then, since Boss #2 is making nonsense
>claims.
>This can't be good for the company, and i'll bet you that the reason
>there is spyware on the system is Boss #2 clicking something/everything,
>or installing something like comet cursor.
>
>Now he's looking to pass his goof off on you.
>
>Do not allow this.
>
>While it looks like he's blaming CoH, in another way he's saying "Sean
>played a game on the company network and got us infested with spyware."
>
>That kind of thing could be used as grounds to fire you and/or give
>_YOU_ a bad reputation.

That's a good point. In addition to what Xocyll says, when you talk to
Boss #1, make it clear if you have to that you're not trying to get
CoH privileges back but to clear your reputation on this issue.

--
Dark Tyger

Stop the madness! (Marvel Vs Cryptic Studios petition)
http://www.petitiononline.com/marvscoh/petition.html

Hey, everyone else is doing it. Free iPod:
http://www.freeiPods.com/?r=15728814
!