Strong Ammunition!!

Archived from groups: alt.tv.tech.hdtv,alt.video.digital-tv (More info?)

The House hearing this Thursday on "The Role of Technology in Achieving
a Hard Deadline for the DTV Transition" will have very strong ammunition
to use in holding to the 2006 deadline that Joe Barton wants.

http://energycommerce.house.gov/108/Hearings/02172005hearing1435/hearing.htm

Most people suggest that his 2006 deadline is his playing bad cop to
Powell and Ferree's plan for 2009 which is more realistic. But I have
been told that LG will testify that they will have stand alone ATSC to
analog receiver converters for sale for $50 by the 2006 deadline if the
deadline is upheld. Specifically NOT the cost of integrated receivers
but STAND ALONE receivers when I further questioned the source.

The next question to LG is why not a decently priced 5th generation
receiver now or in the near future. Why are we always waiting for
another few years? If this is true I think the 2006 deadline is very real.

On the other hand this cements the US in as a 2nd world country. It
would be far better to scrap both 8-VSB and MPEG2 and follow the French
or Chinese into an MPEG4 AVC DMB-T or DVB-T world.

Bob Miller
33 answers Last reply
More about strong ammunition

    Do you have any life at all?

    > The House hearing this Thursday on "The Role of Technology in Achieving a
    > Hard Deadline for the DTV Transition" will have very strong ammunition to
    > use in holding to the 2006 deadline that Joe Barton wants.
    >
    > http://energycommerce.house.gov/108/Hearings/02172005hearing1435/hearing.htm
    >
    > Most people suggest that his 2006 deadline is his playing bad cop to
    > Powell and Ferree's plan for 2009 which is more realistic. But I have been
    > told that LG will testify that they will have stand alone ATSC to analog
    > receiver converters for sale for $50 by the 2006 deadline if the deadline
    > is upheld. Specifically NOT the cost of integrated receivers but STAND
    > ALONE receivers when I further questioned the source.
    >
    > The next question to LG is why not a decently priced 5th generation
    > receiver now or in the near future. Why are we always waiting for another
    > few years? If this is true I think the 2006 deadline is very real.
    >
    > On the other hand this cements the US in as a 2nd world country. It would
    > be far better to scrap both 8-VSB and MPEG2 and follow the French or
    > Chinese into an MPEG4 AVC DMB-T or DVB-T world.
    >
    > Bob Miller
  2. Archived from groups: alt.tv.tech.hdtv,alt.video.digital-tv (More info?)

    On Mon, 14 Feb 2005, Bob Miller wrote:
    > On the other hand this cements the US in as a 2nd world country. It would be
    > far better to scrap both 8-VSB and MPEG2 and follow the French or Chinese
    > into an MPEG4 AVC DMB-T or DVB-T world.

    Q: How much over-the-air HDTV is there in France or Red China today?
    A: None.

    Q: Why does Bob Miller post all these inane messages?
    A: He refuses to take the medication that he has been prescribed.

    -- Mark --

    http://staff.washington.edu/mrc
    Si vis pacem, para bellum.

    His entire existence is based upon trying to kill the current HDTV
    broadcasting system. He is living in a dream world.

    JT wrote:
    > Do you have any life at all?
    >
    > "Bob Miller" <robmx@earthlink.net> wrote in message
    > > [junk]
  4. Archived from groups: alt.tv.tech.hdtv,alt.video.digital-tv (More info?)

    Booby..... Your unemployed and posting here like it's the truth, if you had
    a real job or life you would not have time for this non-sense. Bobby get a
    life, a real job, or just get out! Almost funny!

    > The House hearing this Thursday on "The Role of Technology in Achieving a
    > Hard Deadline for the DTV Transition"
  5. Archived from groups: alt.tv.tech.hdtv,alt.video.digital-tv (More info?)

    > ... But I have been told that LG will testify that they will have stand
    > alone ATSC to analog receiver converters for sale for $50 by the 2006
    > deadline if the deadline is upheld.

    Excellent news!

    > The next question to LG is why not a decently priced 5th generation
    > receiver now or in the near future

    Decently priced for whom, the manufacturer or the consumer? LG shouldn't be
    expected to give their products away.

    > ...scrap both 8-VSB and MPEG2 and follow the French or Chinese into an
    > MPEG4 AVC DMB-T or DVB-T world.

    Yeah, I want the same "HDTV" that the Frogs and Chineese have....

    Phil
  6. Archived from groups: alt.tv.tech.hdtv,alt.video.digital-tv (More info?)

    Phil Ross (paross@pacbell.net) wrote in alt.tv.tech.hdtv:
    > "Bob Miller" <robmx@earthlink.net> wrote in message news:n15Qd.203$IU.55@newsread3.news.pas.earthlink.net...
    > > ...scrap both 8-VSB and MPEG2 and follow the French or Chinese into an
    > > MPEG4 AVC DMB-T or DVB-T world.
    >
    > Yeah, I want the same "HDTV" that the Frogs and Chineese have....

    For those people that missed Phil's point, neither country has any HDTV.

    --
    Jeff Rife |
    | http://www.nabs.net/Cartoons/OverTheHedge/TiVoForRealLife.gif
  7. Archived from groups: alt.tv.tech.hdtv,alt.video.digital-tv (More info?)

    Mark Crispin wrote:

    > Q: Why does Bob Miller post all these inane messages?
    > A: He refuses to take the medication that he has been prescribed.

    Bob has never denied that he has financial stake in his ideas. He's
    passionate about his ideas and that I respect, but this newsgroup isn't
    the place for them. Almost all of his post are DTV centric and focus on
    one of two things: 1. The expanshion of the non-High Definition side of
    DTV via a next generation of OTA tuners and new subscription based
    providers that will "rise up" to "overtake satellite and cable
    companies" or the adoption of COFDM vs 8VSB and how the "US is a 2nd
    world country because of their use of modulation".

    When pressed to debate these issues, Bob has no explanation for:

    1. The excellent field test of 5th gen 8VSB tuners. Sinclare
    broadcasting group (probably the most powerful anti-8VSB organzation in
    the US) put out a press release praising 5th gen 8VSB tuners and
    declared the battle over, however Bob continues to wage his own
    personal war, often contradicting himself (e.g. he agreed with
    Sinclare, but he continues to trash talk the US system and 8VSB
    modulation)

    2. Bob will claim other countries are ahead of the US, he'll point to
    mobile technology as an example and ignore the logical reasons why it
    makes sense for counties such as India and China to invest in such
    infrastructure where they currently have nothing. What's practicle for
    China and India to invest money in may not be practicle for the US, Bob
    ignores the big picture.

    3. Bob will claim other countries are ahead of the US in spite of the
    fact that the US in unmatched in the amount of OTA High Definition
    programming available. Currently about 75% of prime time television in
    the US is available in High Definition in all major markets, check the
    listings. Look at the prime time spots of CBS, NBC, ABC, etc... All the
    networks in the US have embraced HDTV because the government steped in
    and made a decision to force standardization of 8VSB. Bob doesn't
    believe a modulation standard should be forced, he believes
    broadcasters should have the right to select what they want (an insane
    idea that leads to chaos for television manufactures and ultimately
    consumers).

    4.Bob's current passion is pushing his grand vision for what he
    believes is to come, "a new bread of OTA subscription based providers
    that will make cable and satellite obsolete". Bob's argument is always
    one of price over quality, he's very vocal about how he believes the
    cable and satellite companies have too much power and charge customers
    too much, yet can all see how "successful" USTV has been, in spite of a
    relationship with the worlds #1 retail giant Walmart, USDTV has largely
    failed to gain any ground. Bob can not provide even a high level
    business plan summary of how similar startups could take on cable/sat.
    He's even sudgested that broadcasters would cut out the middle man and
    enter into the subscription based arena themselfs (again he can't
    explain where they are going to get the money to invest in the huge
    infrastructure involved in customer service, accounting, equipment
    service and leasing, etc...), he can't give us any compelling reasons
    why broascasters would want to take this risk or explain how the
    cable/sat companies will fall when they continues to offer their
    customers better benefits through composite service offerings (e.g.
    broadband, digital phone, DVR).

    The worst part about Bobs grand vision is that, if a success it would
    almost certainly do away with free OTA High Definition.
  8. Archived from groups: alt.tv.tech.hdtv,alt.video.digital-tv (More info?)

    Bob Miller wrote:
    > The next question to LG is why not a decently priced 5th generation
    > receiver now or in the near future. Why are we always waiting for
    > another few years? If this is true I think the 2006 deadline is very
    real.

    Perhaps because prior gen receivers have worked quite well BOB? There's
    no need to wait. I know you like to avoid that entire issue, but facts
    are what they are.....perhaps not in the world of Snake Oil Salesmen.

    > On the other hand this cements the US in as a 2nd world country. It
    > would be far better to scrap both 8-VSB and MPEG2 and follow the
    French
    > or Chinese into an MPEG4 AVC DMB-T or DVB-T world.
    >
    > Bob Miller

    First off, I wouldn't follow the French into ANYTHING. Second, this
    country (the one you hate BOOBY) is the LEADER, repeat, the LEADER in
    high definition telecasting, both OTA and via satellite and cable. I
    know that's yet ANOTHER fact you like to avoid. No BOB, it's the other
    countries that are the "2nd world countries". So calling the U.S. a 2nd
    world country doesn't make it so. This is just another LIE in the ever
    increasing pile of LIES you've told over the years.
  9. Archived from groups: alt.tv.tech.hdtv,alt.video.digital-tv (More info?)

    Bob Miller wrote:
    > France definitely has HDTV via satellite and will have HDTV
    > terrestrially this summer.
    > Bob Miller

    Thanks for providing the FACTS to support my earlier statement that the
    cowards....ooops French, are a 2nd world country, only JUST NOW getting
    onboard with OTA HD while we've had it for YEARS. And you had the NERVE
    to call US a 2nd world country. You are a despicable liar BOB.
  10. Archived from groups: alt.tv.tech.hdtv,alt.video.digital-tv (More info?)

    Bob Miller wrote:
    > I reiterate, the US has the WORST modulation and compression codec in

    > the world.

    Incorrect and a lie, but you knew that already.

    > This is not necessary and it has caused stagnation in our
    > digital transition.

    No BOB, YOU and your SINCLAIR buddies caused the stagnation. We're
    about 1-2 years behind where we'd be if it wasn't for you and your
    COFDM clowns and fellow Snake Oil Salesmen.

    > It is time to change and now is a good time to do
    > it. If anyone doubts this is true about the modulation does anyone
    doubt
    > it about MPEG2?
    >
    > To transition to MPEG4 is reason enough to scrap all current 8-VSB
    > receivers and if we do that we might as well re-visit the modulation.
    >
    > Bob Miller

    No BOOBY LIEMEISTER, it's over for you. I doubt you'll ever understand
    that since you've been posting about the imminent 'death' of 8VSB for
    years and, in FACT (oops, sorry BOOBY, a FACT) it's stronger than ever
    today. The next 'transition' we'd all like to see, is you flipping
    burgers at your local McDonalds.
  11. Archived from groups: alt.tv.tech.hdtv,alt.video.digital-tv (More info?)

    jeremy@pdq.net wrote:
    > Mark Crispin wrote:
    > The worst part about Bobs grand vision is that, if a success it would
    > almost certainly do away with free OTA High Definition.

    And that is the most hideous part of BOB's lies and fantasies. It's one
    thing for us to all easily recognize his relentless lies,
    embellishments and distortions, but it's quite another to realize that,
    as I've always said, he has ZERO interest in HD. In fact, as you said,
    his plans would do away with HD. Of course he'll deny it, but virtually
    everything he's touted over the years has NOTHING to do with HD. This
    is why he's constantly chided "BOB, this is an HD ng".
  12. Archived from groups: alt.tv.tech.hdtv,alt.video.digital-tv (More info?)

    Bob Miller wrote:
    > Prior Gen receivers work well? Tell that to these folks over at
    AVSForum
    > because everyday they are posting the opposite and a lot of people
    read
    > AVSForum.

    As always BOB, you cherry pick your posts just as you do here. We have
    all commented RIGHT HERE BOB how you constantly, over the years,
    totally, 100%, ignore the myriad of posters that RAVE about their 8VSB
    OTA HD reception. You know damn well that I've joked about that very
    fact for years. Ignoring these posters does not make them go away BOB.
    Ignoring these posters doesn't change the facts that 8VSB works very
    well. You have now done the same thing in attempting to distort what's
    going on at AVS. Do you even realize that there are 100s (probably
    THOUSANDS) of threads at AVS in the "Local HDTV Info and Reception"
    section that shows the VAST MAJORITY of people have zero problems with
    AVS. THAT is where you find the majority of opinions on what's going on
    with local OTA HD around the country. BOB, when you cherry pick a
    thread that indicates problems that SOME are having, that doesn't make
    it the rule. Yes, of course some people have problems, NOTHING is 100%.
    God knows that others have posted right here the myriad of problems
    with COFDM. My ONLY experience with COFDM, via XM radio, has show how
    DISMAL that modulation scheme can be. So stop your bullshit.

    > Inkyblacks writes TODAY...
    >
    > "Again, I don't think all "5th" chips are created equal. You might
    buy
    > one and find it not much better than a 4th generation chip. The LG
    chip
    > really works and has been publicly tested. The others have to prove
    > themselves in the light of day as history shows press releases mean
    > nothing. I saw a press release from ATI in 1999 saying they had a
    great
    > chip that "cracked the code," but I have that chip in my RPTV and it
    > stinks."

    And so????? There is NOTHING, repeat NOTHING, in the above excerpt that
    shows that prior gen receivers don't work well in most applications.
    Saying that something is "not much better than a 4th gen chip" says
    NOTHING, NADA, ZERO about how well the 4th gen chips work in most
    applications. So BOB, another one of your obvious attempts at
    distortion has not passed me or others by. If I posted all the positive
    remarks about 8VSB reception, JUST IN THE NEW YORK OTA HD THREAD over
    at AVS, I would totally choke the bandwidth of this ng. No BOB, you are
    a God damn distorter of the truth and I find your tactics utterly
    deplorable. Why don't you give up? Does it not occur to you yet that we
    catch you in every lie, every distortion, ever embellishment? Are you
    reaaly this stupid BOB? Do you relish this punishment for your
    repulsive tactics? Unreal, utterl unreal.
  13. Archived from groups: alt.tv.tech.hdtv,alt.video.digital-tv (More info?)

    Jeff Rife wrote:
    > Phil Ross (paross@pacbell.net) wrote in alt.tv.tech.hdtv:
    >
    >>"Bob Miller" <robmx@earthlink.net> wrote in message news:n15Qd.203$IU.55@newsread3.news.pas.earthlink.net...
    >>
    >>>...scrap both 8-VSB and MPEG2 and follow the French or Chinese into an
    >>>MPEG4 AVC DMB-T or DVB-T world.
    >>
    >>Yeah, I want the same "HDTV" that the Frogs and Chineese have....
    >

    > For those people that missed Phil's point, neither country has any HDTV.

    Quite a blank statement. Anyway of backing that up?

    France definitely has HDTV via satellite and will have HDTV
    terrestrially this summer.

    Sat...
    http://www.euro1080.tv/

    Terrestrial...
    http://www.tekrati.com/T2/Analyst_Research/ResearchAnnouncementsDetails.asp?Newsid=3316

    "News from European broadcasters, in particular France, looks promising
    for MPEG-4. The CEOs of TPS, French satellite TV service indicated
    recently that MPEG-4 would be used for their HD channels (at least one
    channel is due to be live next summer). The French terrestrial
    broadcaster, and TPS' main shareholder, TF1 is also expected to follow
    the MPEG-4 path. It is not unfeasible that this will create an
    unstoppable momentum in Europe, as these early movers drive down the
    relative cost of MPEG-4 broadcast and consumer equipment." NEXT SUMMER
    IS THIS SUMMER NOW.

    China will have HDTV by the end of this year via satellite and plans on
    having a "majority" of homes with DTV by the 2008 Olympics. Any idea
    what a "majority" is in China? About the same number of homes as the US
    has citizens.

    http://www.entrust.com/news/2004/archive2004_6037.htm?entsrc=china_spotlight

    I reiterate, the US has the WORST modulation and compression codec in
    the world. This is not necessary and it has caused stagnation in our
    digital transition. It is time to change and now is a good time to do
    it. If anyone doubts this is true about the modulation does anyone doubt
    it about MPEG2?

    To transition to MPEG4 is reason enough to scrap all current 8-VSB
    receivers and if we do that we might as well re-visit the modulation.

    Bob Miller
  14. Archived from groups: alt.tv.tech.hdtv,alt.video.digital-tv (More info?)

    Bob Miller (robmx@earthlink.net) wrote in alt.tv.tech.hdtv:
    > > For those people that missed Phil's point, neither country has any HDTV.
    > >

    > Quite a blank statement. Anyway of backing that up?

    Yes, using what you post yourself:

    > France definitely has HDTV via satellite and will have HDTV
    > terrestrially this summer.
    >
    > China will have HDTV by the end of this year via satellite and plans on
    > having a "majority" of homes with DTV by the 2008 Olympics.

    Thus, neither France or China have HDTV. France has satellite delivery of
    HD, but, then, so does the US.

    > I reiterate, the US has the WORST modulation and compression codec in
    > the world.

    Yeah, we use that same old nasty MPEG-2 that the UK, Australia, Berlin, etc.,
    all use, and must continue to use to keep all those "millions" of current
    STBs working correctly.

    --
    Jeff Rife |
    | http://www.nabs.net/Cartoons/RhymesWithOrange/WorkingDogs.gif
  15. Archived from groups: alt.tv.tech.hdtv,alt.video.digital-tv (More info?)

    vidguy7@aol.com wrote:
    > Bob Miller wrote:
    >
    >>The next question to LG is why not a decently priced 5th generation receiver now or in the near future. Why are we always waiting for
    >>another few years? If this is true I think the 2006 deadline is very real.
    >
    > Perhaps because prior gen receivers have worked quite well BOB? There's no need to wait. I know you like to avoid that entire issue, but facts
    > are what they are.....perhaps not in the world of Snake Oil Salesmen.

    Prior Gen receivers work well? Tell that to these folks over at AVSForum
    because everyday they are posting the opposite and a lot of people read
    AVSForum.

    Inkyblacks writes TODAY...

    "Again, I don't think all "5th" chips are created equal. You might buy
    one and find it not much better than a 4th generation chip. The LG chip
    really works and has been publicly tested. The others have to prove
    themselves in the light of day as history shows press releases mean
    nothing. I saw a press release from ATI in 1999 saying they had a great
    chip that "cracked the code," but I have that chip in my RPTV and it
    stinks."

    GSFromCT writes TODAY...

    "The new Samsung STBs have 5th generation tuners. Do they use ATI chips?
    I have not heard any glowing reports on how well the new Samsungs handle
    multipath.
    I feel like I am in a holding pattern waiting for a 5th gen STB to be
    produced.
    LG says 4th gen STB sales have not been that great. Have they ever
    stopped to think it may be because multipath problems are a major issue
    for some of us? All those analog TVs are going to need a STB in order to
    receive ATSC broadcasts. Many of us will need a STB that can deal with
    multipath correctly."

    "Before the broadcast flag fiasco? Me too Schlotkins, me too. In my case
    it is kind of worthless to pick up a box now as my latest test
    (DB-2010)proved that I could only get 1 channel out of 7 in my local
    area. I have better luck getting out of market stations."

    HE GETS OUT OF MARKET STATIONS!! Like Mark Schubin who can get Philly
    sometimes but not the Empire State Building 30 blocks away. He should be
    satisfied with those out of market freak stations right? That's whats
    so good about 8-VSB, its freaky!!

    All at ...
    http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?s=0f4bda34404b19c96bc20e199217f1df&threadid=459962&perpage=20&pagenumber=6
  16. Archived from groups: alt.tv.tech.hdtv,alt.video.digital-tv (More info?)

    This is not AVSForum, so please posting all these ramblings. I really
    don't care what one guy says at some online forum. Or do you think
    that just because it's on the IntarWeb that it must be true?

    Bob Miller wrote:
    > vidguy7@aol.com wrote:
    >
    >> Bob Miller wrote:
    >>
    >>> The next question to LG is why not a decently priced 5th generation
    >>> receiver now or in the near future. Why are we always waiting for
    >>> another few years? If this is true I think the 2006 deadline is very
    >>> real.
    >>

    >> Perhaps because prior gen receivers have worked quite well BOB?
    >> There's no need to wait. I know you like to avoid that entire issue,
    >> but facts
    >> are what they are.....perhaps not in the world of Snake Oil Salesmen.
    >>
    > Prior Gen receivers work well? Tell that to these folks over at AVSForum
    > because everyday they are posting the opposite and a lot of people read
    > AVSForum.
    >
    > Inkyblacks writes TODAY...
    >
    > "Again, I don't think all "5th" chips are created equal. You might buy
    > one and find it not much better than a 4th generation chip. The LG chip
    > really works and has been publicly tested. The others have to prove
    > themselves in the light of day as history shows press releases mean
    > nothing. I saw a press release from ATI in 1999 saying they had a great
    > chip that "cracked the code," but I have that chip in my RPTV and it
    > stinks."
    >
    > GSFromCT writes TODAY...
    >
    > "The new Samsung STBs have 5th generation tuners. Do they use ATI chips?
    > I have not heard any glowing reports on how well the new Samsungs handle
    > multipath.
    > I feel like I am in a holding pattern waiting for a 5th gen STB to be
    > produced.
    > LG says 4th gen STB sales have not been that great. Have they ever
    > stopped to think it may be because multipath problems are a major issue
    > for some of us? All those analog TVs are going to need a STB in order to
    > receive ATSC broadcasts. Many of us will need a STB that can deal with
    > multipath correctly."
    >
    > "Before the broadcast flag fiasco? Me too Schlotkins, me too. In my case
    > it is kind of worthless to pick up a box now as my latest test
    > (DB-2010)proved that I could only get 1 channel out of 7 in my local
    > area. I have better luck getting out of market stations."
    >
    > HE GETS OUT OF MARKET STATIONS!! Like Mark Schubin who can get Philly
    > sometimes but not the Empire State Building 30 blocks away. He should be
    > satisfied with those out of market freak stations right? That's whats so
    > good about 8-VSB, its freaky!!
    >
    > All at ...
    > http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?s=0f4bda34404b19c96bc20e199217f1df&threadid=459962&perpage=20&pagenumber=6

  17. Archived from groups: alt.tv.tech.hdtv,alt.video.digital-tv (More info?)

    "Bob Miller" <robmx@earthlink.net> wrote Like Mark Schubin who can get
    Philly
    > sometimes but not the Empire State Building 30 blocks away. He should be
    > satisfied with those out of market freak stations right? That's whats so
    > good about 8-VSB, its freaky!!

    You're actually STILL harping about that "apartment" fixation of yours?
    I feel sorry for your family.
  18. Archived from groups: alt.tv.tech.hdtv,alt.video.digital-tv (More info?)

    Jeff Rife wrote:
    > Bob Miller (robmx@earthlink.net) wrote in alt.tv.tech.hdtv:
    >
    >>>For those people that missed Phil's point, neither country has any HDTV.
    >>>

    >>Quite a blank statement. Anyway of backing that up?
    >

    > Yes, using what you post yourself:
    >

    >>France definitely has HDTV via satellite and will have HDTV
    >>terrestrially this summer.
    >>
    >>China will have HDTV by the end of this year via satellite and plans on
    >>having a "majority" of homes with DTV by the 2008 Olympics.
    >

    > Thus, neither France or China have HDTV. France has satellite delivery of
    > HD, but, then, so does the US.

    Very weird, France doesn't and France does. Make up your mind. China
    actually has some HD now. Numerous test sites being broadcast. Your
    claim was that neither had "any" HD. Satellite counts, test sites count
    when you invoke "any".

    >>I reiterate, the US has the WORST modulation and compression codec in
    >>the world.
    >

    > Yeah, we use that same old nasty MPEG-2 that the UK, Australia, Berlin, etc.,
    > all use, and must continue to use to keep all those "millions" of current
    > STBs working correctly.

    Yes but the point I was making is that the US has a unique opportunity
    to move up to MPEG4 and while we are at it go to the most advanced
    modulation at the same time. This Thursday LG will suggest that if the
    US buys millions of 8-VSB receivers at one time that they will produce
    them for around $50 at the end of 2006 if the digital transition happens
    on December 31st.

    We could switch to COFDM at that moment instead of 8-VSB, buy COFDM
    receivers for $40 each that use MPEG4 or maybe even DMB-T Chinese
    receivers for $25 each, replace all current DTV receivers and have the
    best DTV HD both compression and modulation wise in the world. It would
    even cost less than the LG plan.

    And we don't have to wait till January 1st 2007 to do this with COFDM.
    We could do it today, no delay, hurray !! Hint I will sell the $40 COFDM
    receivers and make a bundle in the bargain.

    Bob Miller
  19. Archived from groups: alt.tv.tech.hdtv,alt.video.digital-tv (More info?)

    >We could switch to COFDM at that moment instead of 8-VSB, buy COFDM
    >receivers for $40 each that use MPEG4 or maybe even DMB-T Chinese
    >receivers for $25 each, replace all current DTV receivers and have the
    >best DTV HD both compression and modulation wise in the world. It would
    >even cost less than the LG plan.

    Talk about "keeping hope alive"......you've got me jazzed. I'm going
    to suffer the three hour drive down to Florida to get me a lottery
    ticket.
  20. Archived from groups: alt.tv.tech.hdtv,alt.video.digital-tv (More info?)

    Bob Miller (robmx@earthlink.net) wrote in alt.tv.tech.hdtv:
    > > Thus, neither France or China have HDTV. France has satellite delivery of
    > > HD, but, then, so does the US.
    >
    > Very weird, France doesn't and France does.

    France doesn't have HDTV, but they have satellite HD. Can't you understand
    the difference. TV = OTA TV.

    > > Yeah, we use that same old nasty MPEG-2 that the UK, Australia, Berlin, etc.,
    > > all use, and must continue to use to keep all those "millions" of current
    > > STBs working correctly.
    > >

    > Yes but the point I was making is that the US has a unique opportunity
    > to move up to MPEG4

    So, Bob, are you going to volunteer to pay for all those replacement
    receivers? Remember, despite the "sad state of DTV" in the US, we still
    have more OTA digital receivers in the hands of consumers than any
    other country in the world.

    > and while we are at it go to the most advanced
    > modulation at the same time.

    Luckily we already have that.

    > We could switch to COFDM at that moment instead of 8-VSB, buy COFDM
    > receivers for $40

    There are no $40 COFDM HDTV receivers, and there never will be.

    But, then, that's your plan: to get non-HD receivers to everyone in the
    US so that every TV station will have lots of bits to spare for your
    lame-brained advertising schemes.

    --
    Jeff Rife |
    | http://www.nabs.net/Cartoons/PaperOrPlastic.gif
  21. Archived from groups: alt.tv.tech.hdtv,alt.video.digital-tv (More info?)

    "Mark Crispin" <mrc@CAC.Washington.EDU> wrote in message
    > On Mon, 14 Feb 2005, Bob Miller wrote:
    >> On the other hand this cements the US in as a 2nd world country. It would be
    >> far better to scrap both 8-VSB and MPEG2 and follow the French or Chinese
    >> into an MPEG4 AVC DMB-T or DVB-T world.
    >
    > Q: How much over-the-air HDTV is there in France or Red China today?

    Red? Yeah right.

    "To get rich is glorious"
    - Deng Xiaoping
  22. Archived from groups: alt.tv.tech.hdtv,alt.video.digital-tv (More info?)

    Jeff Rife wrote:

    > Bob Miller (robmx@earthlink.net) wrote in alt.tv.tech.hdtv:
    >
    >>>Thus, neither France or China have HDTV. France has satellite delivery of
    >>>HD, but, then, so does the US.
    >>
    >>Very weird, France doesn't and France does.
    >

    > France doesn't have HDTV, but they have satellite HD. Can't you understand
    > the difference. TV = OTA TV.

    First I have heard of this one.

    >>>Yeah, we use that same old nasty MPEG-2 that the UK, Australia, Berlin, etc.,
    >>>all use, and must continue to use to keep all those "millions" of current
    >>>STBs working correctly.
    >>>

    >>Yes but the point I was making is that the US has a unique opportunity
    >>to move up to MPEG4
    >

    > So, Bob, are you going to volunteer to pay for all those replacement
    > receivers? Remember, despite the "sad state of DTV" in the US, we still
    > have more OTA digital receivers in the hands of consumers than any
    > other country in the world.

    And how many is that? And where do you get your figures? More than the 6
    million in the UK? Do we have as many integrated sets as say Japan at
    over 2 million? Japan has sold those 2 million sets in just the last
    year. I can only imagine what they will sell this year. And the UK is
    set to sell 6 million more receivers this year. I don't know what Italy
    is doing but they were sold out last I looked.

    These countries and others such as China are about to blow by the US.
    The only way we can keep up is to have more Congressional Hearing and
    decide that the mandate was not enough, we are going to have to give
    away 10's of millions of receivers.

    Bob Miller

    >> and while we are at it go to the most advanced
    >>modulation at the same time.
    >

    > Luckily we already have that.
    >

    >>We could switch to COFDM at that moment instead of 8-VSB, buy COFDM
    >>receivers for $40
    >

    > There are no $40 COFDM HDTV receivers, and there never will be.
    >
    > But, then, that's your plan: to get non-HD receivers to everyone in the
    > US so that every TV station will have lots of bits to spare for your
    > lame-brained advertising schemes.

  23. Archived from groups: alt.tv.tech.hdtv,alt.video.digital-tv (More info?)

    Jeff Rife wrote:
    > Bob Miller (robmx@earthlink.net) wrote in alt.tv.tech.hdtv:
    > > > Thus, neither France or China have HDTV. France has satellite
    delivery of
    > > > HD, but, then, so does the US.
    > >
    > > Very weird, France doesn't and France does.
    >
    > France doesn't have HDTV, but they have satellite HD. Can't you
    understand
    > the difference. TV = OTA TV.

    Yeah but Jeff, if BOB acknowledged that then he wouldn't be misleading
    the people. BOB thrives on misleading people. BOB thrives on lies,
    distortions and embellishments. The 'man' is just beyond comprehension.
    He is one very sick individual.
  24. Archived from groups: alt.tv.tech.hdtv,alt.video.digital-tv (More info?)

    On Tue, 15 Feb 2005, Jeff Rife wrote:
    > So, Bob, are you going to volunteer to pay for all those replacement
    > receivers? Remember, despite the "sad state of DTV" in the US, we still
    > have more OTA digital receivers in the hands of consumers than any
    > other country in the world.

    I hope that people are collecting these Bob Miller posts and forwarding
    them to the FCC. It is difficult to think of a better way to discredit
    Bob Miller than to use his own words.

    >> We could switch to COFDM at that moment instead of 8-VSB, buy COFDM
    >> receivers for $40
    > There are no $40 COFDM HDTV receivers, and there never will be.

    Even a COFDM radio receiver costs at least $80.

    Part of the problem with Psycho Bob's rants is that there is no
    recompense available for those who fall victim to the rants. He simply
    does not have the assets.

    > But, then, that's your plan: to get non-HD receivers to everyone in the
    > US so that every TV station will have lots of bits to spare for your
    > lame-brained advertising schemes.

    The more of Psycho Bob's rants that we forward to the FCC, the less likely
    that this will come to pass. We must make it clear and obvious that
    Psycho Bob is a crackpot.

    -- Mark --

    http://staff.washington.edu/mrc
    Si vis pacem, para bellum.
  25. Archived from groups: alt.tv.tech.hdtv,alt.video.digital-tv (More info?)

    On Wed, 16 Feb 2005, Bob Miller wrote:
    >> France doesn't have HDTV, but they have satellite HD. Can't you understand
    >> the difference. TV = OTA TV.
    > First I have heard of this one.

    More accurately, Psycho Bob resorts to his trick of pretending ignorance
    or a confusion in terminology when he is caught in a lie.

    I expect that in the not too distant future, I will be able to prove
    Psycho Bob's lies about OTA digital TV in Japan. Remember, Psycho Bob has
    stated, with certainty, that OTA digital TV will be in cars and in cell
    phones in Japan this year.

    > Do we have as many integrated sets as say Japan at over 2
    > million? Japan has sold those 2 million sets in just the last year.

    Most of those sets do not receive OTA digital TV, for the simple fact that
    the customers are not in the service area. Rather, they have satellite
    and/or cable. An OTA digital tuner is just another feature of the TV that
    they don't use.

    Japan's government does not allow people like Psycho Bob to spread FUD
    about a government broadcast decision. In Japan, people like Psycho Bob
    are visited by men who are missing part of one finger.

    If we had the Japanese system here, Psycho Bob would be feeding the fishes
    in the East River wearing his cement shoes, and TV manufacturers would
    have been required to include ATSC tuners since 2000.

    Nor would there be any talk of other systems. NHK decides, everybody else
    follows.

    > These countries and others such as China are about to blow by the US.

    Yet another bogus Psycho Bob prediction. In Psycho Bob's language, "are
    about to blow by" means "haven't done anything yet to match."

    This is so familiar of the stupid 1970s "PAL rules, NTSC drools" flames of
    the Psycho Bobs of that time. Never mind that solid state circuitry had
    made "never twice same color" a dated joke, and that PAL's phase shift had
    ceased to be a benefit and was now a liability.

    -- Mark --

    http://staff.washington.edu/mrc
    Si vis pacem, para bellum.
  26. Archived from groups: alt.tv.tech.hdtv,alt.video.digital-tv (More info?)

    Mark Crispin wrote:
    > On Wed, 16 Feb 2005, Bob Miller wrote:
    >
    >>> France doesn't have HDTV, but they have satellite HD. Can't you
    >>> understand
    >>> the difference. TV = OTA TV.
    >>
    >> First I have heard of this one.
    >

    > More accurately, Psycho Bob resorts to his trick of pretending ignorance
    > or a confusion in terminology when he is caught in a lie.

    Not pretending ignorance just politely trying to point out the absurdity
    in suggesting that HDTV only refers to OTA TV. Now it seems Mark has
    bought into this definition also. HDTV applies to cable satellite or
    broadcast "TV". In all three cases TV is broadcast. HDTV is just a
    particular set of resolutions. INSANE SEMANTICS we could call it.

    > I expect that in the not too distant future, I will be able to prove Psycho Bob's lies about OTA digital TV in Japan. Remember, Psycho Bob
    > has stated, with certainty, that OTA digital TV will be in cars and in cell phones in Japan this year.

    It is good to hear that Mark is going to finally be able to come up with
    hard evidence that there is not going to be any cell phone DTV this
    year. Of course his take was that cell phone DTV was a myth everywhere.
    My prediction is we will have ubiquitous cell phone DTV in the world
    including the US over the next few years with Japan and Korea being the
    first. I guess Mark is trying to make the prediction JUST JAPAN and JUST
    THIS YEAR. OK Japan will have DTV OTA cell phones this year and if not I
    lose but in any event if not this year as PR reports suggest then soon
    after like the first quarter of next year. Big deal. In the meantime
    look at my next post "Bitty Witty OTA DTV Receivers" (REALLY NEAT
    STUFF!!). It gives more details.

    >> Do we have as many integrated sets as say Japan at over 2 million? Japan has sold those 2 million sets in just the last year.
    >

    > Most of those sets do not receive OTA digital TV, for the simple fact that the customers are not in the service area. Rather, they have
    > satellite and/or cable. An OTA digital tuner is just another feature of the TV that they don't use.

    ALL of these sets sold with OTA DTV receivers are bought as an option
    that the customer chooses. A customer could make the informed decision
    that they want a digital TV that will be capable of receiving digital
    terrestrial signals EVEN if they are not at present being broadcast in
    their area. They could for instance look at the map of coverage now and
    anticipated and see how long they might have to wait. But all these OTA
    equipped TV sets are being sold with OTA because the customer wants that
    feature. READ THE SITE!!!

    http://www.dibeg.org/news/news-3/news-e3.htm
    "Digital terrestrial TVs accounted for 7.5% of CRT sets (up 1.0
    percentage points from the previous month) and 96.8% of PDP sets (up 1.3
    percentage points), with a figure of 47.3% for LCD sets (up 6.2
    percentage points), indicating that digital terrestrial sets are
    becoming an increasingly popular option in flat panel TVs."

    Notice that NOT all TV sets sold include OTA receivers. People have to
    ask for it and then pay for it. NOT SO IN THE US where you must pay for
    it even if you are one of the 85% of viewers who don't need it.

    The month before they said.... NOTICE STATEMENT " increasing popularity
    of terrestrial digital sets among flat panel TV buyers" This suggest
    they may have free will in Japan something we have lost here at home
    with our MANDATE!!

    "Terrestrial digital TVs accounted for 7.4% of CRT sets (no change from
    the previous month) and 95.5% of PDP sets (up 0.2 points). Terrestrial
    digital TVs accounted for 41.1% of LCD sets (up 5.8 points), indicating
    the increasing popularity of terrestrial digital sets among flat panel
    TV buyers."

    > Japan's government does not allow people like Psycho Bob to spread FUD about a government broadcast decision. In Japan, people like Psycho Bob
    > are visited by men who are missing part of one finger.

    Maybe Mark could list just ONE source for his BS do ya think? He just
    talks about proving me wrong in the future. Never any backup.

    > If we had the Japanese system here, Psycho Bob would be feeding the fishes in the East River wearing his cement shoes, and TV manufacturers
    > would have been required to include ATSC tuners since 2000.
    >
    > Nor would there be any talk of other systems. NHK decides, everybody
    > else follows.

    OK Mark we will listen to the gospel according to Mark and NHK.

    The sites I quote are from an organization called Dibeg which describes
    themselves as .... (NHK is a member and two of Dibeg's top leaders are
    executives of NHK)

    http://www.dibeg.org/
    The Digital Broadcasting Experts Group (DiBEG) was founded in September
    1997 to promote ISDB-T, the Japanese Digital Terrestrial Broadcasting
    System, in the world. And also, DiBEG promotes exchange of technical
    information and international cooperation to facilitate common
    understanding in the world and smooth exchange of programs in digital era.

    Vice-chairman : Shigeki Moriyama ( Japan Broadcasting Corporation(NHK) )
    Document working group Director : Dr. Hiroo Arata ( Japan
    Broadcasting Corporation(NHK) )

    http://www.dibeg.org/aboutus/maine.htm

    READ THE SITE make up your own mind. It looks like numerous entities are
    talking to the Japanese viewer about HDTV and OTA broadcasting.

    Here is a map of the Japanese OTA rollout
    http://www.dibeg.org/news/news-3/DiBEG%20NEWS45-E.pdf

    So Mark why is the Japanese Government allowing this Dibeg to promote
    all this FUD??

    Bob Miller

    >> These countries and others such as China are about to blow by the US.
    >
    > Yet another bogus Psycho Bob prediction. In Psycho Bob's language, "are about to blow by" means "haven't done anything yet to match."
    >
    > This is so familiar of the stupid 1970s "PAL rules, NTSC drools" flames of the Psycho Bobs of that time. Never mind that solid state circuitry
    > had made "never twice same color" a dated joke, and that PAL's phase shift had ceased to be a benefit and was now a liability.
    >
    > -- Mark --
    >
    > http://staff.washington.edu/mrc
    > Science does not emerge from voting, party politics, or public debate.
    > Si vis pacem, para bellum.

    "Mark Crispin" <MRC@CAC.Washington.EDU> wrote

    > I expect that in the not too distant future, I will be able to prove
    > Psycho Bob's lies about OTA digital TV in Japan.

    It would be interesting if you could translate any Japanese DTV forums. I'd
    bet anything they're
    overflowing with impulse noise/interference complaints, just like the
    British and
    (to a somewhat lesser extent) Australian forums have been.

    Actually, German DTV forums would be interesting too.

    David wrote:
    > "Mark Crispin" <MRC@CAC.Washington.EDU> wrote
    >
    > > I expect that in the not too distant future, I will be able to
    prove
    > > Psycho Bob's lies about OTA digital TV in Japan.
    >
    > It would be interesting if you could translate any Japanese DTV
    forums. I'd
    > bet anything they're
    > overflowing with impulse noise/interference complaints, just like the

    > British and
    > (to a somewhat lesser extent) Australian forums have been.
    >
    > Actually, German DTV forums would be interesting too.

    Ah, but David, those posts would be discarded by BOB as "irrelevant" or
    simply like he does with all of the POSITIVE posts right here about
    8VSB "they don't exist". It's a strange delusional world this guy lives
    in.

    David wrote:
    > "Mark Crispin" <MRC@CAC.Washington.EDU> wrote
    >

    >>I expect that in the not too distant future, I will be able to prove
    >>Psycho Bob's lies about OTA digital TV in Japan.
    >

    > It would be interesting if you could translate any Japanese DTV forums. I'd
    > bet anything they're
    > overflowing with impulse noise/interference complaints, just like the
    > British and
    > (to a somewhat lesser extent) Australian forums have been.
    >
    > Actually, German DTV forums would be interesting too.

    Good idea. Let those who want to check out these forums to see if they
    are "overflowing with impulse noise/interference complaints" like you
    say they are.

    UK
    http://forum.digitalspy.co.uk/board/index.php
    http://forum.digitalspy.co.uk/board/forumdisplay.php?f=13

    Germany forum
    http://forum.digitalfernsehen.de/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=50

    and info on Berlin...
    http://www.ueberall-tv.de/
    http://www.ueberall-tv.de/reg_BB/1BBstart/BB_start.htm
    http://www.garv.de/dvb_t.htm

    info on North Germany
    http://www.dvb-t-nord.de/

    info on Nordrhein-Westfalen
    http://nrw.ueberallfernsehen.de/start.html

    info on Rhein-Main Gebiet
    http://www.hr-online.de/website/extern/ueberallfernsehen/index.jsp

    info on Bavaria..
    http://www.dvb-t-bayern.de/

    info on middle Germany
    http://www.dvbt-mitteldeutschland.de/

    Info on Australia..
    http://www.dba.org.au/

    Forums on Australia
    aus.tv
    aus.tv.digital
    http://www.dtvforum.info/

    > David wrote:
    >> "Mark Crispin" <MRC@CAC.Washington.EDU> wrote
    >>

    >>>I expect that in the not too distant future, I will be able to prove
    >>>Psycho Bob's lies about OTA digital TV in Japan.
    >>

    >> It would be interesting if you could translate any Japanese DTV forums.
    >> I'd bet anything they're
    >> overflowing with impulse noise/interference complaints, just like the
    >> British and
    >> (to a somewhat lesser extent) Australian forums have been.
    >>
    >> Actually, German DTV forums would be interesting too.
    >>

    > Good idea. Let those who want to check out these forums to see if they are
    > "overflowing with impulse noise/interference complaints" like you
    > say they are.
    >
    > UK
    > http://forum.digitalspy.co.uk/board/index.php
    > http://forum.digitalspy.co.uk/board/forumdisplay.php?f=13
    >
    > Germany forum
    > http://forum.digitalfernsehen.de/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=50
    >
    > and info on Berlin...
    > http://www.ueberall-tv.de/
    > http://www.ueberall-tv.de/reg_BB/1BBstart/BB_start.htm
    > http://www.garv.de/dvb_t.htm
    >
    > info on North Germany
    > http://www.dvb-t-nord.de/
    >
    > info on Nordrhein-Westfalen
    > http://nrw.ueberallfernsehen.de/start.html
    >
    > info on Rhein-Main Gebiet
    > http://www.hr-online.de/website/extern/ueberallfernsehen/index.jsp
    >
    > info on Bavaria..
    > http://www.dvb-t-bayern.de/
    >
    > info on middle Germany
    > http://www.dvbt-mitteldeutschland.de/
    >
    > Info on Australia..
    > http://www.dba.org.au/
    >
    > Forums on Australia
    > aus.tv
    > aus.tv.digital
    > http://www.dtvforum.info/

    You never learned how to properly do a usenet search, did you?

    I've had almost 10,000 results with the searches I've done.
    I've pointed them out to you and you ignored them.
    Anyway, it hardly matters what you think about all this, doesn't it?

    Bob Miller wrote:

    > With an order of ONE at your local convenience store in the UK you
    can
    > buy such a converter for $35 to $55 NOW.

    Oh well golly gee BOOBY PIE, what better reason to switch to COFDM and
    change our entire 8VSB infrastructure then saving $25 on a STANDARD
    DEFINITION COFDM receiver. Hey BOOBY, have I told you recently that you
    are absolutely beyond belief?

    > Another Haliburton deal it looks like.
    Just can't resist politics can you BOOBSTER? When people like you come
    to the realization that Haliburton is the ONLY company in the world
    capable of doing what they do on a large scale, you'll realize how
    idiotic your remarks are. But I digree, this IS a high definition ng.

    First a monopoly on the US market
    > for LG and when the receivers don't sell a MANDATE and then an
    > overpriced big contract to supply receivers when that doesn't work.

    What doesn't work Mr. LIAR? The 8VSB receivers that have been out there
    for years have been working just find Mr. LIAR. You are a despicable
    little man who is utterly incapable of telling the truth. What a
    spokesman you are for COFDM. Unreal. With salespeople like you, who
    needs Chapter 11?

    > I would like to ask Mr. Kim if LG would lower their IP royalties from
    $6
    > to $.60 to help the transition. $.60 is what the Brits are paying for
    IP
    > royalty rights when they buy their receivers. Why I would like to ask

    > are we paying $5.40 more for a modulation that is far far inferior.

    Well golly BOOBSTER PIE, that $5.40 sure will make the difference
    between make and break. When did you first realize your neurosis became
    a pyschosis? Instead of wallowing in your misery from your failed
    business plan, why don't you get off your ass and change careers?
  32. Archived from groups: alt.tv.tech.hdtv,alt.video.digital-tv (More info?)

    Mark Crispin wrote:
    > On Mon, 14 Feb 2005, Bob Miller wrote:
    >> On the other hand this cements the US in as a 2nd world country. It
    >> would be far better to scrap both 8-VSB and MPEG2 and follow the
    >> French or Chinese into an MPEG4 AVC DMB-T or DVB-T world.
    >
    > Q: How much over-the-air HDTV is there in France or Red China today?
    > A: None.

    "Red" China?

    As for France - their DVB-T system is likely to MPEG2 Standard Def for
    simulcast of the existing analogue terrestrials, and MPEG4 for SD and HD
    Pay-TV. Not sure if there are proposals for FTA OTA HD using MPEG4. Think
    the system is due to roll out next year, around the same time that Sky
    launch their HD service (again expected to be MPEG4 and probably DVB-S2
    eventually, though possible DVB-S initially?) via satellite.

    2006 is likely to be when HD starts becoming a more mainstream reality in
    Europe. (At the moment we just have Euro1080/HD1 and some other HD tests -
    including one from TF-1 - one of the main commercial French channels)

    Steve

    <vidguy7@aol.com> wrote

    <why don't you get off your ass and change careers?

    THIS is boob's career. Posting lie after lie, just to purposely anger us.

HDTV Digital TV Home Theatre Product