jumbo_96

Distinguished
Mar 13, 2009
I am attempting to account for all loads on the hard disk.The disk use is
shown as 7.31 gigabytes.Totalling up the folders on the disk plus allowing
481 megabytes for the operating system,I have a total of 3.034 gigabytes.
My question is "Where are the missing 4 gigabytes?"

Solution
I did the same with my own hard drive and there is only a slight discrepancy in the figures. For your own situation, I can only think of a couple of possibilities:

1. Your operating system is allocating space for other things e.g. system restore. My own system restore is turned off, which is perhaps why I don't see any discrepancy in my own figures. This is explained in this thread here:

http://forums.techguy.org/general-security/821540-solved-hard-drive-space-used-2.html

2. Possibly you may have malware on your pc and those files are not making themselves visible to you. However I don't know how you use your pc and whether there was a risk of that happening

You may like to try a google search and enter in a search term...

daviduk109

Distinguished
Jun 12, 2008
well for instance, TweakNow regcleaner includes functionality that will provide details on how your hard drive is used. There are other applications that might do similar thing, e.g. CCleaner might, or some of the hard drive defragmentation applications might do the same as well. It is like using a different measuring device for telling you how much space your hard drive is using.

jumbo_96

Distinguished
Mar 13, 2009

I would like to go over my work in evaluatng the total loads on the hard disk.

First,the Tweak - now confirmed the hard disk usage as 7.2gigabytes.I proceeded as follows:
I clicked on 'computer' and selected 'properties.The disk use indicated as 7.2gigabytes.
I had already set the folder options to show hidden files and folders.

Next I noted the load of two folders on this page.I next clicked 'open' on the disc and
noted the loads on the six folders on this page.At this point the only load was the
operating system which I obtained from the operating system restore cd which came with
the computer.The discrepancy remained.

Please advise if this procedure provided all the info I needed to evaluate the load
on the disk.Thank You,John Whiley

daviduk109

Distinguished
Jun 12, 2008
I did the same with my own hard drive and there is only a slight discrepancy in the figures. For your own situation, I can only think of a couple of possibilities:

1. Your operating system is allocating space for other things e.g. system restore. My own system restore is turned off, which is perhaps why I don't see any discrepancy in my own figures. This is explained in this thread here:

http://forums.techguy.org/general-security/821540-solved-hard-drive-space-used-2.html

2. Possibly you may have malware on your pc and those files are not making themselves visible to you. However I don't know how you use your pc and whether there was a risk of that happening

You may like to try a google search and enter in a search term something like 'size of folders on hard drive doesn't add up'. By doing this you will see others that have had a similar issue to you and some ideas as to why the issue has arisen.

Solution