Why must I click restart or shutdown twice?

deardavid88

Distinguished
Oct 27, 2009
A few months ago I started having a problem shutting down or restarting Windows XP Pro. Now I must click on restart twice before my computer reboots. Does anyone know the cause or a remedy?

The details: I click on restart; I get an END NOW message for several programs; then it hangs and nothing happens. I click on restart a second time after waiting a minute or so and then my computer shuts down and starts up again.

Overall, it takes about three minutes just to shutdown.

Lastly, if I try to restart my computer again the problem of having to do it twice is gone. It shuts down immediately and restarts, no problem.

Solution
you may have a number of programs running in the background that maybe you don't know about, that could be why you get the prompt 'end now' for those programs. windows is saying you need to shut down those programs before you attempt to shut down or restart computer.

daviduk109

Distinguished
Jun 12, 2008
you may have a number of programs running in the background that maybe you don't know about, that could be why you get the prompt 'end now' for those programs. windows is saying you need to shut down those programs before you attempt to shut down or restart computer.

Solution

deardavid88

Distinguished
Oct 27, 2009
I found the culprit that made me have to click on restart twice before my computer rebooted: the Webroot Spy Sweeper program. All I have to do is shutdown down Spy Sweeper manually; then my computer shuts down or reboots normally with just one click.